“Surprisingly nice, friendly staff -- good value”

Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
San Jose, California
“Surprisingly nice, friendly staff -- good value”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We stayed here one night in November 2008. We chose to stay at this particular property because they were offering 5000 Priority Club points as a bonus.

The hotel is relatively new, or at least recently updated. Furniture, carpets, etc. were all in very good shape. The rooms are pretty large; I would suggest you ask for 1 king or 1 queen bed to take advantage of the additional space since all rooms are sized the same. A 2 bed layout will obviously take up more room than a 1 bed will; in the extra space you get a nice comfy chair and ottoman for relaxing.

The location of the hotel isn't the greatest in terms of being easily walkable to much to do, as it's a slightly industrial area -- although at the corner of Monterey & Curtner a new shopping center has been built with a few fast food options for dining.

The beds are very comfortable, towels are large and fluffy, and we love the cinnamon-scented toiletries.

The one downside is that the hotel is set up motel style, with all rooms opening up to the parking lot. This means you hear lots of cars being locked/unlocked electronically in the wee hours when you're trying to sleep.

Staff was very friendly, check-in and check-out was efficient. We got to breakfast a bit late, and the room was crowded with families with children. We managed to snag a couple of cinnamon rolls though. Eggs were awful.

We'd stay here again, especially if they were offering the bonus points deal!

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank thebeerhunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 19 February 2008

I hop around all the IC properties in the San Jose area when I am in point maximization mode. Ive stayed at this hotel on maybe 5 different occassions and I've witnessed the evolution of the management here since mid 2007. I can only guess they are new to hotel management because they seem to put all they have into small perks here. The family is from Tahiti so I think they are bringing a bit of their home town service to San Jose.

This is a great location depending on what you want. Its more of an industrial/commercial area. Only a BK to eat at up the street but a new shopping strip mall is coming in too as of 2/08.

Ok, there is a grave yard across the 4 lane ave... Its not like you look out your window and see tomb stones. I think there are hedges or something blocking the view into the graveyard anyway. If Night of the Living Dead is scary and not corny to you maybe you will have some bad dreams.. Get over it.

The street that the hotel is on Monterrey is also First St, you are about 3 miles from downtown and this can be a great back-up spot to use public transpo or a cab into the city. I know the area so I can take Monterrey up to grab some eats downtown, or take it down for a few more fast food spots and a Jamba inside a Safe Way... Take Culver about 5miles west to Bascom and there are a bunch of restaurants and stores round there.

If you have a car and a map, from this hotel you can get to many spots west and north by taking major streets to avoid freeway traffic.

The hotel itself is a motel. Walk out your room door and you are outside, not in a hallway. So... The grounds are kept immaculate and the outside of the building was being freshly painted about a month ago. This place is kept nice.

Nothing extraordinary about the rooms but they are clean and pest free. Im a Platinum Priority Club member so Ive always stayed in rooms here with a microwave, huge mini-fridge and a welcome basket of chips, popcorn ,soda, a banana or apple and some chocolate. Also a nice plus that I noticed was fabric softner or some nice fragrance on the dry towels. Dont know if all these pluses are just for PPC members joining is free so sign up befroe you go.,

Ive peeked into the fitness room and was not impressed. Ive never been in the pool but it always looks clean and free of debris. I dont think there is wireless but there definitely is free wired interent.

In the lobby there is the standard HI Exp hot/cold breakfast.

• Liked — nice smelling towels, the welcome basket, fridge and microwave
  • Disliked — fitness center
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank 1getzAROUND
San Jose, California
Reviewed 7 November 2006

I booked a night at this location under PCR rate, which means you pay a higher rate for perks = exra Priority Club points and a welcome gift. On the hotel property page of holidayinn.com, it shows PCR rate will award 2000 extra points on top of regular points guest will be earning, but once I booked the stay, on the confirmation page, it shows only 1000 points. PCR rate = points, and when the points changes, then it's a material breach of the contract. I immediately tried to cancelled the reservation but they won't let me because I made it after 6pm. I arrived at the hotel try to work this points issue but the front desk clerk wants no part of it. She refused to cancel the reservation even I told her I won't stay there because of the breach. The front desk clerk (I think she is Indian) was rude and refuse to acknowledge the bait and switch tactic nor cancel my reservation.

On top of all of this, this hotel is across the street from a HUGE cemetary, it took me 5 minutes to drive from one end to the opposite end. I am 30yo and I have NEVER seen a cemetary this big and this close to a hotel. The chimney of the crematory is soooo close, you can smell the smoke. No disrespect to the dead, but this is just creepy! Don't believe it? Just google the hotel address in aerial view and you will see the the huge cemetary park in green. In fact this is the funeral/cemetary district of Silicon Valley, almost every other business in the area is funeral related. I think this place is just too creepy for an average person. I don't know why someone would buy land to develop a hotel in the area is just beyond me.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank knowmyhotels
California
Reviewed 5 August 2006

My idea of ‘Above Average’ may be much different from most willing to settle for an inexpensive room… However, as a business traveler, I look for cleanliness, bed comfort, fast internet, and conveniences like a refrig and microwave. A view is always the cherry on top of my rapid rewards. Picky.

Okay – Holiday Inn Express – San Jose. Stayed here twice this quarter.

Because the rooms face outside in a typical motel fashion, I was worried that this would be an older property with sub-par amenities and décor. It turned out to be a surprise!

Check in was quick, and I was offered a beer, and given a carb-filled welcome bag of bliss.

Room: Pulled down the sheets to check for hairs. Very clean sheets! Newer HIE style décor. Bed was comfortable and pillows did not smell like hair tonic! Shower was that big megaphone that is found in all newer properties, and the towels were nice. Provided toiletries were the usual cinnamon scented stuff. Free wireless internet.

Doors slam and rock the room. Maids are up and at it early, rolling those cleaning bins gleefully across the walkway… one by one waking up us all!

Right under a flight path – the gym is cool, the setting is safe, and you could get a room with a view! A bit on the noisy side as thus. I was hesitant to stay prior to checking in to the room, however, I was surprised to find both my stays here very pleasant!

• Liked — clean. fast and free internet. newer decor.
  • Disliked — room doors face to the outside. noisy. thin walls.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Keytarded
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 November 2002

This hotel has by far the most caring staff in the area. I have flown to San Jose on numerous occasions and have found this Hotel to be exceptionally accomodating. People who work here actually remember your name and come running to satisfy every need.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member