“Extremely Poor Management”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The online photos are not what I saw. The rooms are in the process of being remodeled and even the new stuff looks old. The chairs look like they are from the 70s, dirty and worn out.

What was even worse was the staff. I called to check on the safety of the hotel and they told me they could not tell me anything on the phone. I would have to come to the hotel first. The manager also told me no hotel was safe and they could not advise on safety.

The facilities are dingy and dark with POOR service. Would recommend staying somewhere else. Management tried to have this post removed rather than addressing the issues. I also call Holiday Inn to report the problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank AllSeven7Continents
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you once again for notifying us that we are under renovation. We do notify our guests that certain areas of the hotel is under renovation during their stay.We do not place guests in areas that are being renovated. Regarding your safety concern, we did notify you that we do have a security guard BUT how safe a person feels is still up to the individual and his or her actions.

We did notify both TripAdvisor and IHG Customer Care regarding your review. Since you were not a paying guest and did not stay on our property, they decided to remove your previous review.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at this motel for two nights in early November for business. I would have preferred to stay in Mountain View, Palo Alto, or Cupertino, but was unable to find a room. All of the motels in this area take advantage of the business travelers....rooms between $149-$189 were all taken and then jumped up to $329-$349 and up. To fit my budget I had to choose HIE and I still had to pay over $200 a night here. The room had recently been renovated and was very nice, and included kitchenette, fridge, etc. The hotel is designed in such a way that its very easy to get lost. There is only one restaurant within walking distance - across the street - which is questionable at best. I did not eat breakfast here, nor did I have my room cleaned. I checked out a day early to move to the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 100nitesperyear
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service and your accommodation needs were met. Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your stay. There are other restaurants within walking distance, we have a pre-printed list available for our guests at the front desk.

We hope that next time you to San Jose, we will have the pleasure of you having stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed two nights in this hotel for a quick business trip. I was given a king bed standard room on the first floor. The bathroom was dated - slow leak in the shower which left the drain rusted. The actual room was rather large. The desk and other furniture were quite sufficient and the bed was comfortable. There was a security guard watching the parking lot all night which was comforting.

The breakfast was the best part about the hotel. They had a large selection of baked goods and hot foods. Bacon, eggs, fresh biscuits, and fresh made pancakes were available. They also provided a nice selection of drinks.

Given the lower rate compared to most hotels in the area I would stay here again. They also had a airport shuttle that I did not use since I had a rental car.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank knup342
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here one night for a business meeting. I normally wouldn't have stayed in the north downtown location where it's located, but I couldn't get my corporate rate at my normal places. However, the hotel was basically ok. Staff was professional, pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was great. Location pros: close to SJC, close to downtown San Jose, close to good running trail along Guadalupe river. Cons: there's very little dining choices within walking distance,. The recommended restaurant across the street was empty when I went in...I mean no guests and no one even greeted me to see why I was standing there! Pizza Hut delivered. Good breakfast setup in the morning, reasonable workout room. Either the ceilings are paper thin or the guest staying in the room above mine was walking around in ski boots all night.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room. Full opening windows on ground floor concerned me.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JVBV
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked this hotel for 1 night prior to an early morning flight the next day. I selected this hotel because it was close to the airport and was less expensive compared to some of the others with a free shuttle service. I checked in and then thought I would grab dinner before returning my rental car and then take the shuttle back to the hotel. I shared my plans with the desk clerk and she advised that I needed to call for the shuttle before 6:30 PM since the shuttle did not run between 6:30-8:30 PM. I was very surprised since the hotel had a shuttle service and I had not seen any time stipulations. I was told they were short staffed so that is why they were not offering the shuttle between these hours. I would have been very upset if I had to wait 2 hours at the airport to get the return shuttle or pay for a cab. The shuttle started running at 4:30 AM and you need to make a reservation at the desk for the shuttle service. I took the 4:30 AM shuttle; it was prompt and I had plenty of time to catch a 6:30 AM flight. The shuttle van was fully booked. Since I took the earliest shuttle, breakfast was not available. The hotel was not the typical Holiday Inn Express. I had to exit the lobby to go outside to another building to get to my room; it seemed like a maze of walkways. The elevator was located by the guest laundry. My room was a large suite with a full kitchen. The hotel was older but was clean and the furrnishings were updated; the bed was comfortable.The staff was friendly and recommeneded Island Grill across the street for dinner which was good, but a little pricey; I had a frisco burger, fries and coke for $18. The service was very good. The restaurants within walking distance were very limited.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FENTON64
Charles H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson San Jose International Arpt, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with good service and your accommodation needs were met. We apologize if our shuttle service was not up to your standards. We will speak with our staff regarding this issue.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise with friendly professional check in staff and large comfortable rooms. Wi-fi is free and also, amazingly, free world wide telephone calls.
A free airport shuttle is available on demand with the airport only two minutes away.
We had a very early check out but a breakfast 'bag' was provided which was quite satisfactory.
A set of scales is available to check baggage weights and there is a live feed of flight schedules.
A couple of restaurants are within 50 metres of the hotel - and also a casino for anyone interested.
Overall, this hotel meets all requirements for an airport hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel two times this past week. We found the room to be immaculate, the bed extremely comfortable and the friendliness of the staff good. The breakfast, which is included in the price was adequate and although I would have preferred different eggs, okay. Internet was strong and although they did not carry the game I wanted to watch they were very helpful in getting me to the right place so I was able to see every play (and my team won).certainly their proximity to the airport is excellent.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor provides a quieter atmosphere than the others.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple