“Quaint atmosphere, just ok”
Review of Peggy Sue's

Peggy Sue's
Ranked #540 of 2,161 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Quaint atmosphere, just ok”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were killing time until an evening flight out of San Jose. I was planning to eat at one of the nicer establishments in North Pedro, but my daughter had a craving for a hot dog, so we ended up here. Tacky 50's decor, and all the televisions had the football game on (which I did not mind). Order your food at the counter and then wait for it to be brought out. They boast about their many varieties of french fries, yet their serving sizes are very skimpy. Husband's fish fry was OK, and my daughter was satisfied with her hot dog. My hamburger, on the other hand, was nothing to write home about. They never asked how I wanted it, and it was dry and bland. I wish we had gone somewhere else.

• Visited October 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great 50's Place!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had breakfast five of our seven day stay in San Jose. Service is great, friendly servers, neat 50's place just like you are stepping back in time! Loved it!!!
Good prices, clean, just a great place to eat.

Visited September 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,525 helpful votes
“Stay away from the Peggy Sue hamburger and the fish and chips, slow service. Where were you in 62!?”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

There are two Peggy Sue's in downtown San Jose. One on North Pedro, and one on Park Ave.

We went to Peggy Sue's on Park Ave on our way to attend a Broadway show at the nearby San Jose Center for the Performing Arts. They validate all day parking on weekends at the Cityview Parking Garage down the street - a savings of $7. The place is right across from the Tech Museum, and nearby on the same block are such pricey restaurants as Scott's Seafood. .

There is a Peggy Sue's on North Pedro Street, and it is a little bit closer to the SAP (formerly HP) Pavilion. This one is a bit of a walk at about three quarters of a mile and 16 minutes from the Pavilion.

Entering the restaurant is like stepping back in time. Black and white checkered floor, red vinyl seats and formica table tops, with Del Shannon crooning on the airways. It's like a scene out of American Graffiti -where were you in 62!?

The walls are covered with 1950s nostalgia: black and whites of James Dean, Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Willie Mays in a New York Giant uniform, 1950s ads from Macys, pictures of the Edsel, Queen Elizabeth 2's coronation, the first Corvettes, the first Thunderbirds, and on and on.

Customers go up to the counter and place their orders, with the menu and prices listed overhead, and pay beforehand, fast food style. There are no less than 12 different types of burgers! I ordered a Peggy Sue Hamburger for $4.95 with a large portion of onion rings for $3.65, and a side salad at $2.50, while my wife got the Fish and Chips for $6.25. The price of the hamburgers is misleading: They do not come with fries -you have to order and pay for them separately.

We had to wait a good 20 minutes before they called our number, so service was definitely on the slow side, and this on an evening with the place half empty. I stocked up on the condiments are on the side counter, with ketchup for the fries, and extra pickles for the burger. I did not see any onions.

The 1/3 lb (before cooking) burger came on a plain kaiser roll, which may have been fresh that morning, but had deteriorated since. The beef burger came with lettuce on the kaiser roll, and nothing else. No sauce, no relish, no dressing, no onions nothing. So it's like chewing into a very dry sandwich, which needs juicing up. The onion rings were delicious, not overcooked, with the onion flavor very distinctive. The side salad came with iceberg lettuce and two mini tomatoes, and was a good, but not memorable dish -nothing to write home about.

My wife didn't care for the fish and chips. The fish was tasteless, and she actually removed the breading, which made up most of the dish, and ate only the cooked cod. The seasoned fries that came with the dish also lacked taste. And judging by the leftovers of fries on other tables, we were not alone in our own sentiments.

Next time, when I come here, I will try the Great Balls of Fire: Angus burger with Ortega green chili, Jack cheese topped with jalapeno sauce, or the Philly cheese steak with chopped beef, sauteed onions, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. My wife may try the spicy chicken wrap, with chicken breast, tomatoes, cucumber, season rice, green olives in a spicy peanut sauce.

There's a McDonald's at 90 East San Carlos, about a 10 minute walk from this Peggy Sue's. The burgers and fries are much better and cheaper, and it is closer to the Lyric Theater, where we have a season's subscription.

• Visited June 2013
San Luis Obispo, California
“Friendly, delicious eats”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We are season ticket holders for the San Jose Broadway plays and Peggy Sue's is within walking distance. The indoor parking for Peggy Sue's is validated when you eat there. Although a very busy place, we always enjoy our meals.

• Visited June 2013
Lancaster, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible customer service!!!!!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We went to peggy sues strictly for dessert. We ordered a couple milk shakes, and a couple sundaes. After sitting waiting for 20 minutes I went up to ask what the hold up was. I saw that the men in front of us in line had already been given there burgers and were about done eating. I found the staff not making our desserts and when asked the ditzy cashier said "O I though someone already made them." She then brought out my order but not the desserts for the other 2 orders we placed. I had 2 young kids with me and after being there for 45 minutes and still not having our correct order I went to ask for a refund on what hadn't been delivered. I was instructed to talk to Saif. He then informed me he is the "manager" on duty but can't authorize a refund. I explained that someone at this restaurant can authorize a refund and he assured me that they can not. He was extremely rude along with the rest of the staff who didn't seem bothered at all that this is the service we received. I would not recommend this place to anyone and will never go back myself. I left with 2 upset little kids.

• Visited May 2013