“Awesome food”

Ranked #572 of 2,206 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Went there in November 2013 with a colleague. We ordered ham burgers and a milk-shake each. The food was awesome. The price was reasonable. The staff was friendly and their service was good.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were killing time until an evening flight out of San Jose. I was planning to eat at one of the nicer establishments in North Pedro, but my daughter had a craving for a hot dog, so we ended up here. Tacky 50's decor, and all the televisions had the football game on (which I did not mind). Order your food at the counter and then wait for it to be brought out. They boast about their many varieties of french fries, yet their serving sizes are very skimpy. Husband's fish fry was OK, and my daughter was satisfied with her hot dog. My hamburger, on the other hand, was nothing to write home about. They never asked how I wanted it, and it was dry and bland. I wish we had gone somewhere else.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had breakfast five of our seven day stay in San Jose. Service is great, friendly servers, neat 50's place just like you are stepping back in time! Loved it!!!
Good prices, clean, just a great place to eat.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

There are two Peggy Sue's in downtown San Jose. One on North Pedro, and one on Park Ave.

We went to Peggy Sue's on Park Ave on our way to attend a Broadway show at the nearby San Jose Center for the Performing Arts. They validate all day parking on weekends at the Cityview Parking Garage down the street - a savings of $7. The place is right across from the Tech Museum, and nearby on the same block are such pricey restaurants as Scott's Seafood. .

There is a Peggy Sue's on North Pedro Street, and it is a little bit closer to the SAP (formerly HP) Pavilion. This one is a bit of a walk at about three quarters of a mile and 16 minutes from the Pavilion.

Entering the restaurant is like stepping back in time. Black and white checkered floor, red vinyl seats and formica table tops, with Del Shannon crooning on the airways. It's like a scene out of American Graffiti -where were you in 62!?

The walls are covered with 1950s nostalgia: black and whites of James Dean, Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Willie Mays in a New York Giant uniform, 1950s ads from Macys, pictures of the Edsel, Queen Elizabeth 2's coronation, the first Corvettes, the first Thunderbirds, and on and on.

Customers go up to the counter and place their orders, with the menu and prices listed overhead, and pay beforehand, fast food style. There are no less than 12 different types of burgers! I ordered a Peggy Sue Hamburger for $4.95 with a large portion of onion rings for $3.65, and a side salad at $2.50, while my wife got the Fish and Chips for $6.25. The price of the hamburgers is misleading: They do not come with fries -you have to order and pay for them separately.

We had to wait a good 20 minutes before they called our number, so service was definitely on the slow side, and this on an evening with the place half empty. I stocked up on the condiments are on the side counter, with ketchup for the fries, and extra pickles for the burger. I did not see any onions.

The 1/3 lb (before cooking) burger came on a plain kaiser roll, which may have been fresh that morning, but had deteriorated since. The beef burger came with lettuce on the kaiser roll, and nothing else. No sauce, no relish, no dressing, no onions nothing. So it's like chewing into a very dry sandwich, which needs juicing up. The onion rings were delicious, not overcooked, with the onion flavor very distinctive. The side salad came with iceberg lettuce and two mini tomatoes, and was a good, but not memorable dish -nothing to write home about.

My wife didn't care for the fish and chips. The fish was tasteless, and she actually removed the breading, which made up most of the dish, and ate only the cooked cod. The seasoned fries that came with the dish also lacked taste. And judging by the leftovers of fries on other tables, we were not alone in our own sentiments.

Next time, when I come here, I will try the Great Balls of Fire: Angus burger with Ortega green chili, Jack cheese topped with jalapeno sauce, or the Philly cheese steak with chopped beef, sauteed onions, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. My wife may try the spicy chicken wrap, with chicken breast, tomatoes, cucumber, season rice, green olives in a spicy peanut sauce.

There's a McDonald's at 90 East San Carlos, about a 10 minute walk from this Peggy Sue's. The burgers and fries are much better and cheaper, and it is closer to the Lyric Theater, where we have a season's subscription.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We are season ticket holders for the San Jose Broadway plays and Peggy Sue's is within walking distance. The indoor parking for Peggy Sue's is validated when you eat there. Although a very busy place, we always enjoy our meals.