“My favorite hotel in San Juan Capistrano”

Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano
new jersey
“My favorite hotel in San Juan Capistrano”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed here 11 days. It is a perfect hotel when working in San Juan Capistrano. It is a mile from downtown San Juan Capistrano. It is a newer hotel and really pretty with a fire pit,small golf course and large rooms with a really comfortable bed. They have dinner receptions with barbecue or italian night etc. Breakfast is same as any other hotel breakfast but in a nice sunny dining room or you can eat outside by the pool. Ask for a room away from the pool because it gets noisy at nite.No restaurants in walking distance but many really nice restaurants down town and in old los Rios.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bridgetpianos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for a visit to the surrounding areas. I was a little hesitant about booking here based on the location, but it actually suited us perfectly. You can get to Doheny State Beach Park within 5 minutes. The hotel is nice and new and clean! Very clean. I loved the style of the rooms, the colors and the overall feel of the hotel.

Upsides: Brand New, Clean, Great Breakfast spread (not crowded and we could actually sit down!), great kitchens and sitting areas and comfortable bed

Downsides: $12 for parking?? We are right off of the freeway and paying $199/night...and we have to pay for parking?? I can see that on the beach, but literally, right next to the freeway. We left in the morning for about 3 hours and came home at 12:30 and our room wasn't cleaned. Time for a nap, so I had to put the DND on the door. Left at 3 and came back at 7 and our room had never been cleaned. I had to carry our dirty towels downstairs to get new ones. Strange. Make sure you call someone to clean your room.

On a personal note: The staff member, Jennifer, who checked us in and out had no personality at all. She was not welcoming, engaging, warm, friendly...I felt like I was talking to a robot. We used points for one night and paid for the 2nd. She told me I had to come back down the next day to re-swipe my credit card...and I told her I had never had to do that, they always can merge the reservations together. After a little bit of a huff, she was able to do it. About 30 minutes later I was walking out and heard her in an altercation with 3 government workers and someone who appeared to be her superior. They were arguing with them about their government status and rate and whatnot. I obviously don't know the entire details...but it certainly isn't something that all of the guests should be hearing. A loud voice, talking over guests and telling them, "in some Marriotts, if you don't have this proof, we can just deny you."...it just doesn't seem professional.

Overall, I liked the hotel and the location...maybe a little more staff training.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tucson
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We had a one night stay here on our way home from Los Angeles and it was a very pleasant surprise. It is more like a studio apartment than a motel room. Nice bathroom, wonderful bed and an amazing little kitchen, complete with dishwasher. There was even a work station with wireless and wired internet access. If we are ever going to be in Capistrano for a few days, I will certainly return here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LYNNE O
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed here with my GF the night of a recent concert. The hotel is the closest to this venue, so it's nice to stay at because you can cab it or even walk (it's about a half mile).

The front desk were very friendly. The place is called "residence inn" for a reason; the rooms are large and have a bed, a couch, and a little kitchen area with stove, sink and fridge. The rooms were really great. If you're on the east side, you can hear some noise from the cars on the street (it's a pretty big street). And you can also hear the train blare it's horn at night, but it wasn't all that loud and didn't keep me up (although I had had a few drinks...)

Last thing about the location, there isn't really a view of any kind so keep that in mind. The Costco parking lot is what you see out the back of the hotel.

They have breakfast in the morning and it was tasty.

You can't walk to the beach from here. Well I guess you could, but it would be a hike. I didn't visit the pool, but it looked nice from what I saw.

Room Tip: try to get one on the west side, away from the street, not really a big deal, but you at least won...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank garek007
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The room was very nicely appointed ... very luxurious with granite counter tops.

I had a fabulous 2 day stay, no issues whatsoever.

I did read about the noise from the metrolink, which concerned me, however, I never heard it and usually I will hear everything. I was staying in the front of the hotel; perhaps that is the quiet location.

Room Tip: I stayed in the front of the hotel and never heard the metrolink.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank EquineDoc
Alberta
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

We booked here after having such a good experience in La Jolla, what a lovely place!
The rooms are big with a kitchen and seating area and very clean and tidy. The hotel was centred perfectly for the stuff we wanted to do in the area. It is also located by a busy road, but that didn't bother us at all.
We found the hotel nice and quiet, I'm sure you will n joy your sty as well!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustATravelGurl
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My extended family and I stayed for several days and the 2 bedroom suite with 2 full bathrooms were just perfect - at a very reasonable price. There was ample living room space too so that everyone was comfy and had plenty of room. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms and baths VERY clean. The staff was very friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was a great addition. The food and selections were way above what I would expect for a free meal, with the hot selections (4 each day) were a pleasant surprise. It is close to the freeway and train, but did not interfere with the enjoyment. Very conveniently located. There is a jogging trail within a short distance, but not walking distance to the nearby amenities. I would highly recommend this property and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dana Point Marina Inn
#8 of 12 in Dana Point
Quality Inn & Suites Oceanview
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Been to Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!