“An upscale Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano
Cannon Beach, Oregon
“An upscale Residence Inn”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I'm an avid Marriott supporter, but this is the best Residence Inn I have stayed at. It feels fairly new, with large suites, tastefully decorated, huge working desk with four plugs for gadgets. Yes!
The welcome was typically Marriott friendly, quick and easy. Don't like to be charged for parking, a minor annoyance, but the suite was paid by Marriott points so net cost was minimal.
Decor was appealing, restful to the eye, peaceful ....... EXCEPT .... Recommend you ask for a suite away from the train tracks, very noisy whistle blowing trains! Also, our suite was on the ground floor, with a path outside, so, after a noisy pass by some teenagers, we lowered the blinds. Shame to shut out the very limited view of the ocean.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Horrible customer service. Nowadays people have so many choices of where to stay when on vacation and most people want to be appreciated for being loyal to a brand. As a Marriott Rewards member, I had requested a quiet room and early check in. I called to let them know I would be arriving within the hour around 1pm. When I got there at 3pm, they said my room was not ready. The manager Jim said that he treats all his guests the same and Marriott members do not receive any special treatment. That was unexpected because I chose a Marriott hotel because of loyalty. The front desk girl, Jennifer, did not make any effort when I called in to have our room cleaned. Her robotic and unconcerned attitude was unacceptable.This really shocked me as not only did I not get to check in that much earlier (1 hour), they put me right next to the freeway although I had requested a quiet room. I could hear the train and cars all night. The manager acted annoyed that I had asked for an early check in and he said that all guests check in at 4 pm. This is my second time here and I will not be returning. Really need some guest service training at this Marriott.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank historyteacher50
Amy F, Manager at Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your candid remarks. While our goal is to provide an outstanding stay to every guest, we obviously missed the mark with you - and for that I am very sorry. Your comments are appreciated as we are always open to constructive feedback and I have already shared your comments with the hotel associates, to focus on positive and friendly service. Our staff at the hotel does their best to honor the many early check in and late check-out requests from all of our guests. Unfortunately we do face times when we are unable to honor all requests. We focus on preparing the rooms for arrivals so that it is ready for a new occupant and to meet specific desire of the room location. Please feel free to call me directly at the hotel should you have any additional comments or questions.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed here for 7 days in july. I was really happy. Great staff super clean and really nice. Its not Hawaii but its a great hotel. This hotel I think is brand new. I cant believe how clean this place is. I use to stay at the other hotels in san juan but will not do that anymore. I love clean places and those other places cant compare. Stay here trust me you will be happy. Great pricing, great staff and a really clean room. There are not many options in the area but this places is by far the best. The hotel staff was also really friendly

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank matt r
Cornville, Arizona
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This hotel feels relatively new and modernly decorated, we had the standard 'Studio Suite' which is a pretty typical layout at most Residence Inn's. To me the title of 'Studio' infers something small and less that a typical suite, but our suite was spacious with a large fully functional kitchen and full size refrigerator. I guess it is a studio as it is open between the sitting area and the bedroom. My only complaint with the room is that the TV swivels back and forth between the bedroom and the sitting area, and really doesn't give a great view for either. There was also a very nice and well laid out work area. The breakfast is superior for an included buffet style, much better than most other hotels that offer this. The fitness room is also above standard and well equipped. Our only real complaint was the noise from the nearby train which is behind the hotel, but having stayed in hotels throughout this area, most have this problem. At least they don't run much after the late evening. On a plus for noise, even though close to busy I-5, the way the property is positioned seems to be out of range of most of this. We did not like the $12 parking fee, and for a hotel with a standard parking lot this does seem excessive and not the norm for this type of hotel. You are already paying a premium, but relatively standard high room rate in this area. You do get allot for that rate at this hotel, and we have already booked another stay. It is a great location and within walking distance of the beach or harbor.

Room Tip: Away from the pool area if you are on the first or second floor, and towards the middle gives the be...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BongoColo
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I would of gave it a 5, however we had some problems. The first day after we got up, housekeeping knocked on door at 0730 ish, I related my kids were alseep, she said she'd come back. We went to beach, came back in the evening and nobody cleaned our room, someone entered it, but didn't clean it. All i wanted was towels, I assume she entered room, it looked spotless so she left without checking bathroom that had towels on the floor. Around 11PM night 2, my wife wakes up inquiring why it was pitch dark as we brought nite lights and fans to block out noise. I checked and Hotel lost power, it was pitch dark I couldn't see anything. Room got hot and stuffy, I opened the window the 4 inches I was able to. I called front desk who related whole block lost power. Around 130 AM my 2 year old son woke up screaming( we assume becuase it was pitch dark) jumped out of bed and took off running yelling "Mommy". He got about 10 feet and we heard a big boom followed by crying. he ran right into the corner of the table and hit right above his eye. Finally at around 4ish power came back and we all got about 3-4 hours of sleep. We went to beach again, came back and we noticed our room STILL HAD NOT been cleaned. Once again, I only cared about towels so I went to front desk who related they had issiues with some plubming or something so not everyone's room got serviced. I told them my room number, and they said it would get cleaned. After dinner we came back and finally room was cleaned.

We really like that a costco was to the right and an Albertson's food store was about a half a mile to the left. About 2 miles(maybe less to the beach. I partook in italian night and the meatballs were tasty, breakfast was a little above average hotel fare. We all used pool which is nice. I felt Doheany beach looked kind of seedy so we stayed away and went to Laguana Beach, Alsio beach or something like that which was nice.

Overall we really like the hotel but like I stated we had some issiues however I would def stay in the hotel again if I ever return to the area as it was clean and the employess were all friendly.

Room Tip: Bring a fan as there is a train that runs all day. We didn;t hear it, but then again we ALWAYS brin...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nkgreig
new jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed here 11 days. It is a perfect hotel when working in San Juan Capistrano. It is a mile from downtown San Juan Capistrano. It is a newer hotel and really pretty with a fire pit,small golf course and large rooms with a really comfortable bed. They have dinner receptions with barbecue or italian night etc. Breakfast is same as any other hotel breakfast but in a nice sunny dining room or you can eat outside by the pool. Ask for a room away from the pool because it gets noisy at nite.No restaurants in walking distance but many really nice restaurants down town and in old los Rios.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the pool
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bridgetpianos
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for a visit to the surrounding areas. I was a little hesitant about booking here based on the location, but it actually suited us perfectly. You can get to Doheny State Beach Park within 5 minutes. The hotel is nice and new and clean! Very clean. I loved the style of the rooms, the colors and the overall feel of the hotel.

Upsides: Brand New, Clean, Great Breakfast spread (not crowded and we could actually sit down!), great kitchens and sitting areas and comfortable bed

Downsides: $12 for parking?? We are right off of the freeway and paying $199/night...and we have to pay for parking?? I can see that on the beach, but literally, right next to the freeway. We left in the morning for about 3 hours and came home at 12:30 and our room wasn't cleaned. Time for a nap, so I had to put the DND on the door. Left at 3 and came back at 7 and our room had never been cleaned. I had to carry our dirty towels downstairs to get new ones. Strange. Make sure you call someone to clean your room.

On a personal note: The staff member, Jennifer, who checked us in and out had no personality at all. She was not welcoming, engaging, warm, friendly...I felt like I was talking to a robot. We used points for one night and paid for the 2nd. She told me I had to come back down the next day to re-swipe my credit card...and I told her I had never had to do that, they always can merge the reservations together. After a little bit of a huff, she was able to do it. About 30 minutes later I was walking out and heard her in an altercation with 3 government workers and someone who appeared to be her superior. They were arguing with them about their government status and rate and whatnot. I obviously don't know the entire details...but it certainly isn't something that all of the guests should be hearing. A loud voice, talking over guests and telling them, "in some Marriotts, if you don't have this proof, we can just deny you."...it just doesn't seem professional.

Overall, I liked the hotel and the location...maybe a little more staff training.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dana Point Marina Inn
Dana Point Marina Inn
#8 of 12 in Dana Point
Quality Inn & Suites Oceanview

Been to Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano? Share your experiences!