“OMG - what a great restaurant!”
Review of Fiano's Restaurant - CLOSED

Fiano's Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Camino Capistrano & Verdugo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The menu is interesting and the food is delicious. We dined outside on the patio which is a really nice setting. The interior of the restaurant is beautiful. The staff are extremely attentive. It is our new 'go-to' restaurant when in the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Went here for Monday lunch after visiting the mission. It is just a few steps away. I think we were the only guests at that time It was recommended by an associate working at the mission gift shop. Lovely food but a bit pricey. We tried their Kobe Burger, Shrimp pomodoro and Chix penne caprese. Loved the penne! I didn't like the smell of cleaning stuff though. Smelled it near the entrance...

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I ate here on Monday night (Memorial Day). My parents usually eat here every Saturday night in the bar, but this was the first time for me. They brought me to their 'favorite' place!
As we walked in, every server, the bartender, and even the busboy greeted my parents by name and said hello to me. I was very impressed!
The bar area has tall pub tables, a beautiful bar with dark wood everywhere, and some beautiful booths. We sat in a booth.
We were greeted promptly and brought both the regular menu and the 'bar' menu. The regular menu was very impressive, with a variety of well-priced items.
We started our meal with drinks (happy hour drinks are between $4-7 from 2PM-7PM every day) and an order of the medjool dates as an appetizer. The dates were served 2 to a skewer, stuffed with creamy goat cheese and wrapped with applewood smoked bacon, and grilled. They were fantastic! $7 for 6 dates. My mom and I split an order of the fried calamari ($8.50) which was crispy and tender, a very large portion and served with a spicy dip that was very tasty. I also had the burrata appetizer from the regular dinner menu for $12.50. The burrata was a very large portion of a creamy, mozzarella type cheese, served with toasted baguette slices, balsamic vinegar, roasted tomatoes and fig jam. Delicious! This appetizer would have been enough for 4 to share easily.
My mother ordered the seafood kabob, which was a large, grilled skewer filled with shrimp and scallops and served over rice with a lemon-butter sauce- $10. My step dad had the stuffed mushrooms ($7.25) which was a huge portion and also very tasty. He said they are like meatballs in a mushroom!
The service was friendly and very good! The staff paid attention to our drinks and removed empty plates right away- brought extra napkins without a request and didn't hover over us- even though the bar was not very full on a holiday.
I can see why my parents eat here every Saturday! Loved this place and can't wait to get back to San Juan Capistrano for a return trip.
One note- although they do have a kid's menu, this is not the type of place that I would bring a child or children.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place used to be Vitos, which was pretty dingy. It has been upgraded and their $10 menu is fantastic if you don't eat a whole lot. Wine is good, but a bit $$.

1  Thank OCEquestrian
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This information is only to be taken as constructive. I own a business and I always would like to know how I can better serve my customers; I thought the owner might like the same. I attempted multiple times to contact the owner through their website, but I just received an error message. I noticed, Ryan, you are checking here.

The first two visits to Fiano's, after it changed from Vito's, was good. Claire was our server both times. She was honest on one of the visits and told us that the sangria was not ready. That was ok, so I ordered another drink. I appreciated her honesty. The next time, it was ready and it was ok. The food overall was average, but the salad with figs was AMAZING.

On my 3rd trip to Fiano's (3/9/14, check #46), we got Celeste as our server. She was not Claire (nor Rachel when we use to dine there before when it was Vito's). She was slow as a server (and I have 4 small kids, so I know slow) and when I asked if the sangria was already made, she said yes, without checking. I figured she knew. 20 minutes later, still no sangria, so I politely asked if the sangria was ready. She looked horrified and said, "Oh, I totally forgot!" I can understand people forget things, no biggie….BUT THEN, she stopped and said, "Actually, the bar is REALLY busy and you wouldn't have gotten it until you got your food, anyway." (Did she just lie to me???? Wow.) I walked through the bar AND could see the bar from my table. It was NOT busy. She made the same busy bar comment THREE more times. (I have NO tolerance for lying. I'd prefer the truth, even if it's ugly, anytime.) When she finally brought the "sangria," it was wine over ice with a maraschino cherry at the bottom. OMG.

The final blow was that my bill was $46.44 and I gave her $60 cash and she brought back exactly $13.00. She shorted me $0.56. Once again, it's ONLY $0.56, but it was the principle. I was speechless. In fact, I was so upset with the overall experience and didn't want to cause a scene by requesting the manager or owner with others dining very close by. I decided to leave her a VERY small tip - 10%, which was still WAY too much for the service we received - and I usually tip extremely well.

Like I said, as the owner, you might want to know how your server functioned….or didn't.

I took a pic of the change she brought, with my bill….in case you needed or wanted to see it. I preferred to write you myself, instead of leaving a review here, but since your contact page isn't working, I thought you might want to know.

Overall, the food is good. The fig salad is fabulous. The sangria needs work - or maybe just take it off the menu? The ambiance is lovely.

1  Thank Subluxfixer