“GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in San Leandro
Grand Junction, Colorado
“GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our family grew up in San Lorenzo and have been away from California for about 18 years now. My mom likes to come back to visit and when she does, I travel with her and we always stay at the San Leandro Marina Inn. Location is key for us as we grew up one city over. You can fly into Oakland or San Francisco and take the BART to the San Leandro station and call for a shuttle from the Inn. The shuttle runs daily and is a big plus for my mom who is in her 80s. We realized this trip we could have almost made it without a rental car.

We love the fact that it is near the walking path at the Marina. When I was growing up it was called the "par course." It seems to be about a mile walk around the course and it's right along the Marina and it's beautiful. It is also near Horatios and El Toritos restaurants--wIthin walking distance to both of those restaurants. The par course would be too far for my mom to walk to, but I bet the shuttle driver would take her there. If you are able to ride a bike, you can also check out a bicycle for free from the hotel and ride over to the course or just around the marina.

The room was very comfortable and there is free wi-fi. We stayed in a room with two double beds and the beds were very comfortable. Our room had a shower (no tub) with excellent water pressure. One thing to note is that if you would like a bath tub -- rooms with bath tubs are on the first floor. The walk in shower works great for my mom with plenty of places to hold on as she steps in.

Every morning there is a free continental breakfast with waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast, fruit, bagels, cottage cheese, cereals, juices and coffee. Every afternoon there are fresh-baked cookies at the front desk. There is also a complimentary copy of USA Today and The Wall Street Journal available at the front desk.

The Staff was incredible. Very, very pleasant and outgoing. We were especially pleased with a young man named Matthew.. But everyone - the front desk help, the shuttle drivers, the ladies who cleaned our room and the men who were shampooing the carpet were all very friendly. I was walking back to my room with two cups of coffee and a newspaper and the front desk help asked if I would like help getting back to my room. I declined, but that type of customer service will keep me coming back time and time again.

Because the Inn is near the Oakland airport, it affects the cell phone coverage in some of the rooms. You may ask to be put in a room that has "better" coverage. We stayed here four years ago and I never noticed a problem. But I don't remember what room we were in. This time we were in Room 201 and had very little coverage. The Marina Inn also has balcony rooms and I could see where this would be a nice benefit if your cell phone was important to you, because you could go out on the balcony and pick up a signal. I actually enjoyed a little reprieve from my phone so it didn't bother me much.

I would definitely stay here again and we will. I recommend it to others with those two disclosures -- the cell phone factor and the bath tub factor -- both which can be remedied by talking to the reservation clerk.

(Actually forgot about being across the street from the golf course. I don't golf, but my husband does so he would love that.)

Room Tip: Because it is near the airport, cell phone coverage in some rooms is very poor. You can ask for a r...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The room was super clean, the beds very comfortable and the kids loved the fresh cookies. I found the walking trails overlooking the bay and had a wonderful workout the next morning. We were here for baseball and loved that they gave us the late checkout. Would stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2011

After playing a round of golf across the street, I ambled in the hotel, looking for a place to dine. I was greeted right away with a big smile by Janelle. I asked her where the restaurant was and she politely sent our party to Horatios across the parking lot. After a wonderful experience at Horatios ( great food, and service!) My colleagues and I wanted to see about meeting space. Upon our return we were again greeted by Janelle who is so friendly and hospitable. She asked if we enjoyed our lunch. I was impressed she remembered us and was equally attentive. In this world of hurry and haste its really special to go to a place where everyone is so warm and geuine. We are going to be using their facilities on a regular basis from now on. I thank Janelle, and Janise for treating us so well.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Skarloken
Derwood, M
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Extremely nice location on the marina and across from a park and golf course. We had a junior suite with king bed. Well worth the additional cost! (The standard room we saw lacked the warmth and definitely the spaciousness of ours.) We loved our bright, comfortable room with balcony overlooking the swimming pool and estuary/SF Bay. Had a mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and wet bar, too. We could watch the planes coming in and taking off from Oakland Airport and even San Francisco on a clear day. Continental breakfast had extended hours and included hard boiled eggs, hot and cold cereals, waffles, a fresh fruit salad as well as a well-stocked fruit bowl, and yogurt, along with the selection of muffins, bagels, doughnuts, and breads offered. Two Other Exceptionally Nice Touches: the basket of fruit (usually apples when we were there) available all day at the check-in counter and the freshly baked cookies and milk at the desk every day at 5:00 (and frequently even later, if you weren't around then to pick them up then).

The staff beat everything, though. Service was superb! They couldn't do enough, from greeting us by name when we arrived although it was our first time there (Matthew); to offering cheery greetings and inquiring whether we needed anything each time they saw us (Brittany and Matthew); to suggesting on the day we were leave that I return my rental car to the airport first and then return to the hotel via the Inn's shuttle (which they had follow me to give me a lift back) until my 92-year old mother and I were ready to check out. (Mary Lou and Audrey) When we did so an hour later, the shuttle driver (Kyle) picked up our luggage in the lobby and loaded it in the shuttle for us. Then, when he had to drop us off three lanes over from the terminal (because of the approach allocated for shuttles), he ran over and brought a skycap back to help us in. Great work, guys. You really know how to take care of your guests!

We found two restaurants nearby (sharing the marina area): Horatio's and El Torito. That's the only thing we wish had been different - a fast food or family diner-type place closer than the 2-3 miles away they currently are. But a minor "inconvenience," everything else considered. We definitely plan to return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Reviewed 11 July 2011

As a guy that runs a small hotel company it is not often that I stay in someone else's hotel. It is even more rare that I feel that it is necessary to run to Trip Advisor and tell the world about it.

This is a spectacular little inn located waterfront on the marina. It has EVERYTHING you would expect from the traditional franchised properties PLUS outstanding service. The rooms are large, spotlessly clean, and the staff is great. I found that if you asked for the least little thing they would respond in such a way as to exceed your expectations.

I particularly want to thank the sales person Janise for her help. I found it necessary to hold an unplanned meeting at the hotel and they made me feel like a king.

If you are in the Bay Area-including Oakland and San Francisco you should not miss this hotel. With waterfront land being what it is, this is an exceptional value-about $109. You won't beat this price anywhere in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Guam
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel manager was surprise when we told her of a negative review, actually it was the Marina Village Inn that received the review. So sorry for that. Our stay at the San Leandro Marina Inn was an exceptional experience, the staff are professional and accomodating in our needs. The rooms are clean and most noteworthy is the awesome continental breakfast. It's by far the best hotel we ever stayed. The relaxing picturest of the Marina and park is great. What made it so perfect was the availability of shuttle to shopping and the BART. We loved it and will be returning soon. Hey I almost forgot, they even have a golf course across the street.

Room Tip: Get the top floor for best view of the area.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were at the San Leandro Marina Inn for a family reunion. The hotel staff was very attentive and professional. The location of the hotel was perfect for our reunion with the park adjacent and the golf course across the street. Also, being right there on the marina gave everyone a relaxing view. I would definitely seek out this hotel the next time that I am in Northern California.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Hilton Oakland Airport
Hilton Oakland Airport
#13 of 49 in Oakland

Been to The Marina Inn on San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!