“Regular Customer Who Won't Be Going Back”

Nautical Bean Expresso Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
San Luis Obispo, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Regular Customer Who Won't Be Going Back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

What an unfortunate visit. I was (keyword) a regular customer at Nautical Bean and loved supporting a local business. Yesterday morning I had an experience with a woman who said she's the owner (never seen her there before) that left a very bad taste in my mouth.. and it wasn't the coffee. I always order a large drip coffee with 1 extra pump of vanilla syrup, which equals 4 pumps. They've never charged by the pump and never made an issue out of my extra one. At another coffee shop I've ordered 1 extra with the same experience, 7 instead of the usual 6 doesn't cost extra. Well this owner charged me by the pump (a whole dollar more than usual) and when I questioned that based on previous experiences she said with a sneer "in a drip coffee??" and then proceeded to complain about her employees and argued with me that I should be charged for each pump because it's not a mixed drink like a mocha. I said I'd ordered it a million times and it was normally 3 pumps and this was just 1 extra and she said "We'll be having a meeting about this". Lady I'm a customer. Your business issues should not be made my issue. I worked in Customer Service for 8 years and was appalled at the attitude the owner was giving to me and her wonderful employees who have always been nothing but gracious and pleasant to order from. I guess she's trying to save a penny, but alienating a customer and losing their business entirely is a very poor way to do that. Looks like I'll be heading back to another coffee shop (guess you can't name them or you get filtered).. no wonder they're so successful with this kind of competition.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank SLOGal93401

Los Osos
“BEST COFFEE HOUSE IN SLO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Great staff and very good selection of food. Lunch items you could easily share as the the portion is large.

Visited April 2012
San Diego
“This place is the best for business or for pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Every time i come here I have a great time. I can bring clients and get serious.. Or I can bring my friends and have a couple beers as we chill on the patio. If only I could convince them into letting me set up a hammock out back, I'd never have to leave!

• Visited September 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SLO Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Relaxed, charming atmosphere with friendly hard working staff. The food is fresh and delicious, with lots of local flavor. Local art decorates the hip yet comfortable shop and each time we've visited a new collection is featured. Students and locals are found chilling with their laptops enjoying the great coffee and free wifi. When your here you understand what the SLO life is all about!

Santa Maria, California
“We loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

The central coast is mostly starbucks-land, so the Nautical Bean is a pleasant switch. I really liked their coffee too.