“Awesome all-around!”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
San Luis Obispo, California
“Awesome all-around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

The Broad Street Giant Grinder is really a great place to go for lunch. While it can be crowded at times, isn't that a good sign? I do recommend calling in your order since the place is technically a "take-out" sandwich shop, and space does not permit for much work space (AKA, they probably cannot squeeze another employee in back there!), or seating for that matter. The owners are very nice; they seem to know a good percentage of their patrons... another good sign. Food is always good. I like the combo sandwiches the best - especially the So-Cal and the East-Coast. The Central Coast and Barbecue Chicken are some other favorites! And if you're going for a vegetarian sandwich, the pepper and egg grinder is unlike any I've had before. But if you want a cold veggie sand, order the "no meat" with all of the yummy veggies you like (preferably including avocado!) and ask them to add some sliced hard-boiled egg to it... extra protein and flavor in one shot! Overall... a BIG thumbs up from me!

1 Thank JF-SLO

California
“Yawn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

I liked everything except the food and the slow service. The atmosphere is great. Very quaint and cute. Great attention paid to creating a comfortable setting with outdoor seating and limited indoor seating.

I like that the counter service was laid out well, so you immediately knew how to order and where to pick up your food. My order was taken by a friendly and efficient staffer.

Unfortunately, it took a REALLY long time to get my sandwich. I could've gone to a sit-down restaurant and enjoyed a cooked meal more quickly. The place started feeling crowded because nothing was coming over the counter.

The sandwich was BORING. A small flavorless pile of ingredients (with way too much shredded lettuce) on a flavorless and gummy roll. You know the kind—it sticks to the roof of your mouth and you have to discreetly reach in with your pinky finger to pry it down.

The man who handed me my sandwich was an owner and had a big friendly grin. I like that.

I just wish they moved faster and the food had some flavor and interest.

I know East Coast grinders are different from West Coast fufu sandwiches. And I'm cool with that. I've had some mighty fine grinders in my time. This just wasn't one of them. Bummer, because I had high hopes for this place.