“Not just disgusting, really disgusting”

Budget Inn SLO Cal Poly
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 15 April 2011

First you're hit by the smell... our "non-smoking" room was probably converted right before we got there because the cloying scent of whatever they used to mask the smell gave us all headaches.

Then you notice the walls... dirty, tape coming off ceiling, dust, cracks, molding dusty, yuck!

Smoke detector doesn't have batteries- I am writing from the room and hope we make it out alive... and did I mention we paid $100 per nite plus tax because this is CalPoly open house?

You can hear every bed creak from the room above... ewww...

Beds are hard, bath towels are like hand towels heating system is noisy, and they don't even change the cheap soap or shampoo every day... plus, I swear my nice hairspray disappeared.

If we could find any place else we would, but we are trapped... don't make the same mistake.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Bugfred

Reviewed 6 January 2011

This was the first hotel I got to after an eleven hour drive. Friendly and helpful lady on reception who gave me a discount. I wasn't expecting the Ritz but nor was I expecting a scene from CSI which is unfortunately what I got. I slept in my sleeping bag liner as the sheets had a funny smell. The front door felt loose so I put a chair up against it for security.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank 10_Downing_St
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I am a very seasoned traveler so this is not the review of a sheltered shut-in. The hotel is terrible in all ways. Very very dated, very dirty, very poorly decorated, very skeevy, very gross. Yes there is free wifi and a continental breakfast served on a filthy shelf in the tiny and filthy office. The rooms are filth, and will have you afraid of touching anything. The lights have wires hanging out and the doors lock but do not seal leaving a space through which people can see in or out. The fridge is covered in sticky dirt and the carpet has a film over it. Spend a few dollars and stay at the Ramada directly across the street or you will regret it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelerlots
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The hotel looks like it's straight out of a scary movie. There were rusty nails outside of our room's door. The room was filthy, dusty, smelled like a horrible room spray, broken and mismatched lamps with duct tape keeping them together. The sheets were FILTHY. When I brought this to the manager's (Jack...he was a complete jerk) he argued with me. After 30 minutes of arguing (loud, screaming....on his end) he refunded my full stay and we got the HELL out of there....DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank caligirl1982
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 October 2010

The room was a bit shabby. When we tried the microwave in the room it was broken. The mattresses needed to be replaced at least 2 years ago.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Room smelled like a Nursing Home...disinfectant! Had the Handicapped Room so the Shower was HUGE! Good water flow. No way to lock the front sliding Window. Hotel is next to the 101 Highway Onramp so vehicles reving up the Engines constantly out front. DO NOT EAT at the Cajun Cafe Across the Street! Bugs crawling all over the Walls! Owner knows about them.....yet still open for business......The Continental Breakfast here is a joke....look elsewhere for food.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The room was a bit cramped and the bathroom facilities were pretty poor. The parking was pretty full and we had to park in a space that we probably shouldn't have. There's not much round to entertain you and the staff seemed baffled when we came to check in.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends