“Lovely and relaxing stop on our trip.”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stopped for one night at the Apple Farm Inn on our trip from LA to San Francisco. We found the room in the main guest house (where the lobby is located) to be larger than most hotel rooms we have stayed in. The room had 2 queen size beds and a sitting area with a love seat, chair and coffee table. There was also a fireplace and a small desk. We found the decor to be quaint and homey (my daughters and I more so than my husband!). There is no doubt that it is very flowery - but all that you have to do is look on the website and you can see what to expect. I found it a nice change from the more minimalist (boring) hotels we have stayed at. It was fun and different. The room was very clean and the bathroom was very large - plenty of room for all our "stuff". The front desk was helpful with directions. The hot beverages and cookies in the lobby were a nice touch (try the cider - it was delicious). And the afternoon reception on the back patio was lovely as well. They really made us feel welcome. The grounds were well manicured. I realize it's on a busy street in a group with other motels but it's set back from the road and felt more private and cozy than other places we stayed. We had a room in the back but we heard no noise from either the road or the rooms surrounding us (and we had young kids next door). We didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant but we did go down the bakery for breakfast. Very yummy baked goods. The pool looked inviting but it was a little cool outside when we visited so we skipped it. Overall, I would be happy to go back to this inn during our next visit out west.

Room Tip: I would suggest a back facing room in the main guest house.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We sincerely appreciate hearing about your stay. I am so happy that you felt welcome here at the Apple Farm we work very hard to make our guests comfortable. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your room! Every room on the property has been individually designed so there aren't any two that are the same. I hope you will get the chance to stay with us again on your next trip to California. We look forward to welcoming you!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I planned an anniversary trip up the coast and this was one of the stops. It is a decent hotel, however, it is definitely for the older crowd. I am in my mid-20s and I felt very out of place. The staff was friendly. The wine reception for guests was nice as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShannaMW

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. You are right, our Inn has a unique feel that tends to attract a certain crowd. We are in the process of updating all of our rooms to create a more temporary feel throughout the hotel while still keeping our country charm. I am glad you were able to enjoy our complimentary guest reception, this is a favorite among many guests. If you choose to stay with us again I think you would really enjoy one of our updated specialty rooms. Thank you again for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Apple Farm has one teeny tiny room available in the Trellis Court area. It is perfect if you are just looking for a spot to crash and don't want to spend a lot of money. The room was cute, cozy and clean. It also has a gas fireplace!! The decor isn't something I would like in my own house, but I must say it feels very quaint and romantic... My husband and I will definitely stay again! The room was also half the price of anything else we found in SLO.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAvisor. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms in the Trellis Court. They certainly are great for a quick trip passing through town! The main difference between the Trellis Court rooms and the Inn is the size so you can still experience all of our amenities such as fire place. We look forward to welcoming you again soon! Thank you again.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

This was our second stay at the Apple Farm since April 2007. We loved the overall feel of the whole complex. Relaxing country charm. We love checking out the country store & the mill house. We like to hangout in the lobby area where they provide refreshments. The guestroom hallway is transformed into a display gallery for all the goodies they sell. The grounds are very, very charming with lots of trees and pots and pots of flower and hanging baskets with colorful blooms spilling out of them. In 2007 we had the deluxe room in the main building, where we had a wonderful time. But this time we got a room at the Trellis court. It was probably 1/2 the size, but still oh-so charming & sweet. We really enjoyed the use of the fireplace. We also enjoyed the great smelling apples that they provided as part of the refreshment, which the inn people said came from their own farm. Too bad we missed the cookies time. We recommend this place to people who love a dose of Victorian decor every now and then. We definitely love this place and would like to come back here again, hopefully sooner than 4 years!

Room Tip: Get the room at the main building with the view of the mill house.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy that you were able to stay with us again and experience the Apple Farm for the second time. It is great to hear that you had the chance to take part in our guest reception and enjoy our yummy apples! We look forward to seeing you again soon and I hope we can make your next stay just as special at the first two. Thank you again.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

When we drove up to the Apple Farm Inn we were already impressed. The ground were beautiful, lots of parking, amazing scenery. We were there very early and check in is really late. They allowed us to have a key to the pool area and the kids were able to enjoy the pool while we waited to check into the room. The staff was great very friendly and accommodating. We went with 2 other families and we were spread all over the hotel. We had received a really good price for our room the other two families had paid $20 more to upgrade their rooms. Our room was small but clean. My daughter made the best comment. She said it looked like Grandmas had thrown up all over the room. It is very quaint. I loved it. When I went to the other rooms the next day I couldn't believe the difference. The rooms were amazing! They were huge where my room was small and the decorating was absolutely beautiful! So pay the extra $20 it was a huge difference.
There was also cookies at night, complimentary cider in the Mill House. There was also a guest reception in the evening with wine and appetizers. This place was great!

The breakfast in the restaurant was also fantastic. You wont be disappointed in this inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mom2ma
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

We appreciate the time you took to review our property on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and we are thrilled to hear that! We are working on upgrading many of our rooms and plan to finish our renovation project within the next year or so. We are glad that you were able to experience many different aspects of our property and that you enjoyed them all. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again soon!

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We had high hopes for our stay at Apple Farm. The website photos looked charming, and the location was a good rest stop along the way to northern California. In reality, the rooms and public areas were worn and tired, and the service is the absolute worst. Upon check-in, we were given a room with one bed, even though we reserved a room on the Apple Farm website for 4 people. The front desk acted like we were putting them out when we asked for accomodations to sleep all four in our family, and suggested an "upgrade" for $40 additional. We declined to spend extra and requested that they provide the bedding for 4 as we already paid for. Once that was settled, we ate at the restaurant using the $5 voucher that was given to us at check in. That sure didn't go very far at the prices they charge. The food was okay, but you can get the same stuff at an IHOP or Dennys for a third of the price.

Our room was cramped and noisy. It is something your grandma would just love...lots of dusty flowers, nick-naks, and Americana. There was a fireplace (nice touch) but it constantly hissed throughout the night even when turned off. The paper thin walls let us in to the most intimate conversations of our neighbors on either side. And to top it all off, we discovered rodent droppings in the bathroom. We called and spoke to a manager, who was very apologetic and sent maintenance to wipe down the sink and shower, but would not allow us to change rooms since we "only paid for a deluxe room". They call this deluxe?

There is no farm, and there are no apples. Just a marginal hotel alongside the freeway lined up next to a bunch of other hotel/motels.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Lori G

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that your stay was such a disappointment. Please allow us to address the individual points you mentioned in your review.
It sounds like our staff members were not helpful when addressing the lodging needs for your family. This kind of guest service is not up to our standards and we will be retraining the individual staff members immediately. It is true that some of our rooms are in need of a renovation and we have started that project and plan to finish it sometime within the next year or so. We are shocked to hear about the pest droppings you discovered during your stay. This kind of thing does not happen here and clearly our response to the issue was not appropriate.
We would love the opportunity to make this right. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly, so that we may resolve these issues immediately. Once again we really appreciate all of your feedback as it helps us to continually improve and we are extremely apologetic for the experience that you had during your recent visit.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed here on a Sat. night to celebrate our anniversary. There was plenty of parking & check-in was fast & easy. There is hot apple cider, coffee and tea available in the lobby nearly all day, and the cider was delicious. They bring out cookies from the bakery at 7 p.m. as well which was a nice touch. The guest reception on the patio at check-in was also nice.

The location is fine. Walking distance (about 15 minutes) from the downtown area. Very close to the freeway but the noise did not bother us even with the windows open.

We had a queen room with private patio spa in the single story building across from the lobby. The room was pretty small but adequate for our needs. The patio spa was great! It was already perfectly heated and clean. We were a little concerned about our neighbors- a group of young girls- but they quieted down after about 11:00 so it ended up being a non-issue. I could see how it might be miserable if you had noisy neighbors though.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic! I had a delicious prime rib dinner & my husband had some very good pasta. The portions are enormous.

One major complaint (and a few minor ones): the shower was terrible. The water temperature "pumps", first between hot & luke warm, back & forth between temperatures too quickly for you to adjust the knob to compensate. Then, it progressed to a scalding/freezing combination. It was so hot/cold I had to jump out of the water's spray. I wondered if there were too many people showering and/or using their spas at the same time and that was what was causing it, but this is a major problem. It's a given that a lot of people will be showering around 9 a.m. on a Sunday. Maybe this was unique to our building?

Another problem: for the price of this room, it needs to have a mini fridge. A minor point, but even the cheap motel down the street has a mini fridge in each room. Especially since there is a restaurant on the property that has great food and enormous portions. They'll box up your food for you, but there's no way for you to keep it cold in your room. Sure, the rooms are small but there's several places they could've squeezed one in. Which leads me to the next issue... the t.v.

They could make room for that mini fridge by eliminating the giant wardrobe that houses the 19" circa 1990 t.v. set. Get a skinnier wardrobe, a console that you could fit the mini fridge into or under, and hang a small LCD or plasma on the wall and this would be a major upgrade. I'm sure they'd argue that the flatscreen doesn't fit their "country" vibe but does a t.v. in the room fit the vibe at all? I think not. At any rate the picture on the t.v. was just terrible.

One last thing was the electrical outlets. The hair dryer just falls out of all the plugs. I had to wedge a trash can up against the cord to keep it in. Again, a small issue but- it's the little things that count!

The staff was pleasant enough. I would've conveyed the issues to the staff upon checkout but nobody asked how our stay was, so... their loss I suppose.

Overall, I feel like the "extras" like the cider in the lobby, the guest reception & the awesome patio spa made up for the shower, the lack of fridge, the bad electrical outlets & the poor quality t.v. However, next time I think we'll stay somewhere else and just go eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LetsG0Traveling
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Thank you so much for your review on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. All of the points you brought up are valid and I completely agree that there are many changes that need to be made to the Trellis Court. At the moment we are in the process of updating our property. These updates include flat screen TV's, mini fridges, and new furniture and decorations. These renovations, however, have started in the main Inn so we have not had the chance to add these amenities to the Trellis Court rooms.

As for the shower, this is a problem that I will share with maintenance. Whether it is due to high usage or the building this should not be happening. A good shower is very important and we will certainly address the issue.

Lastly, I do feel that it is our loss that you were not asked about your stay. This is not up to our standards and I apologize that you were not given the opportunity to express your concerns with our staff. Your review has been shared with the front desk and they are being retrained.

I am happy to hear that you were able to experience some of the amenities we have to offer outside of the room, such as the guest reception and cookies. The restaurant is also a favorite among our guests and the chef will love to know that you enjoyed it so much. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property, every comment makes it possible for us to improve.