“Wonderful Girls Getaway”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We were so delighted when we arrived to the Apple Farm Inn, it is such a charming hotel.We stayed in the Trellis Court, It has a warm cozy home feel. We reserved the family suite, The ambiance was wonderful and It was very neat and immaculate.
The only downer was the size of the rooms, they were teeny tiny, You'd think a family suite would be large and have open and ample room for 5+ to fit comfortably but unfortunately we felt pretty crammed.
I highly recommend the hotels restaurant, We had Breakfast and Dinner there and it was delicious!
In the evening they had a "guest reception" where they provided Fresh Baked Cookies, Coffee, Tea and Hot Apple Cider (which was amazing!)
We went to the Millhouse and had delicious homemade ice cream, ice Cold Cider, and Popcorn!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Apple Farm Inn

Reviewed 11 February 2009

We stayed in the main part off the inn , the room was huge and with all the creature comforts you could think . the fire in the room was great ,the weather was not that cold but we still tried it out the beds and all linens were first class . well done to the owners we will be back. The restaurant attached was great for breakfast but we eat out in san luis town great choice of places and wine tasting enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I booked this hotel through Hotwire and reserved a room with 2 beds as were are a family of 3. I immediately called The Apple Farm Inn to confirm our reservation. It was confirmed with 2 beds for Feb 7th, departing on the 8th.

Upon arrival, we were assigned to a 1 queen room. I stated that I had reserved a 2 bed room and was told there weren't any available. I was told they would send extra pillows and blankets so my son could sleep on the floor. I found this unacceptable but was given no other choice as the rooms were non-refundable.

We were assigned room 15 in the front of the motel. I have never seen such a tiny room. There was hardly room to turn around, let alone make a bed on the floor. The wallpaper was peeling in places, the bathroom fixtures were old and needed replacing, the furniture was all scratched and the bed: the BED was absolutely horrible! It was so hard, that within 15 minutes of lying on it, my body was already aching. I think I would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor, but my son said NO WAY was he sleeping on that hard bed.

When I checked out, the front desk employee asked how my night was. I simply told her the truth: It was very, very disappointing. I was not happy with any of it. I relayed the same info I had give the other employee the day before, and all this girl could muster was a weak 'I'm so sorry'. I paid $145 for this experience.

I would not recommend this hotel. Their website makes the rooms look so spacious and cozy, but they don't have pics of the trellis area rooms...no doubt because they are so small and shabby. I feel that a 3+ star rating is too high and the cost is overpriced for what you get. I noted an Embassy Suites down the road...I should have known better. I would have stayed there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank juliatheena
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My family and I loved our 2 night stay at the Apple Farm and trust me, I am a super hotel snob! We booked our rooms through Expedia and I did learn by calling the hotel that if you want to be in the main (best) part, you need to be sure you book a room with 2 queen beds. This would be true for booking through any 3rd party. The fireplace was lovely, the beds were comfy, the free in room sparkling cider was a nice touch. Don't forget to take home your free apple knick-knack as a souvenir to remember your trip by. The room was very clean and had such a home-y vibe. You could spend hours in the gift shops and bakery or exploring the grounds. My kids decided this was a better vacation than Disneyland, although they have probably been Disneyed Out from one too many trips there. Anyways, we loved this place and will definitely be back. The staff was friendly and very knowledgable about SLO and where to go for fun.

2  Thank AmysonHenry
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Wife, daughter and I made a one-night stop at the Apple Farm Inn and would do so again. We had eaten there on previous trips to SLO, but this was out first stay overnight. Our room was large, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was up-to-date and clean. The only down-side was that the bed was ostentatiously large and so tall that my wife had trouble getting in and out. The gas-fired fireplace in the room was not only cozy, but seemed to be the only way for us to adjust the temperature. Our room, downstairs in the main building, was very quite.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay, appropriate for the cost. The Inn was decorated for Christmas while we were there and it seemed that every little nook, both in the room and the hallways, has some little decorating feature, all for sale. This is not a place to stay if you want plain and simple.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2008

December 21st

I stopped for one night on my way to Pacific Grove and stayed in the Millhouse B Suite. This was my second time staying in this particular room. They redecorated since I stayed here last and unfortunately the decor was very bland and uninspiring, compared to what it looked like before. Previously I did not want to leave the room... or the bathroom for that matter (it was beautiful.) For their top priced room, I expected something more inviting.

That said, there is nothing I can complain about as far as comfort or noise. It was rather cold outside in the evening and it rained, however the room stayed very comfortably warm, thanks to the gas fireplace.

Also, this is one of the few rooms with a TV so that is a big plus if you plan on retiring to the room early.

The king bed is very, very, very high off the ground and there is no step stool for those of us who aren't tall, so you have to kind of get a running start to jump into bed. Once there, you will feel like a king or a queen.

The room is dimly lit (for romance I guess) so if you plan to read in bed, I would advise you to select a different room, otherwise you have to move to the sitting area by the fireplace and the chair isn't comfortable enough to sit there and read for several hours.

The room overlooks what I assume is the Santa Rosa Creek and due to the recent rains, the creek was ambling along nicely and it was nice to listen to the water rushing by.

I could hear the cars on the nearby freeway, even with the doors and windows shut but it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake at all.

There are trees all around the Millhouse and it gave me the impression of being in the woods and I'm sure it helped diffuse the noise. It was a nice retreat.

The lobby of the Inn was nicely decorated for Christmas and the Christmas Tree was STUNNING. I wish I had taken a photo. I haven't seen a tree decorated that lovely in a long time. I wanted to take it home.

I had a late lunch in the restaurant on the property. I ordered the open-faced meatloaf sandwich and it was hands down, the best meatloaf I ever had. Very filling. I'd order it again in a heartbeat.

I stopped in the restaurant in between lunch and dinner so I missed the crowds.

If you are thinking of staying at the Inn, I would say go for it! There are two different gift shops and the gardens and grounds are lovely. The staff was very attentive and I didn't have any problems parking or anything. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank lucylocketCA
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Our one-night stay here on a drive up the coast was lovely. Made it in time for afternoon wine, enjoyed the fireplace and windowseat in our country but cozy room. Enjoyed our breakfast at the restaurant the next morn. Was prepared for lots of flowers and even enjoyed the early Christmas decorations. Overall the staff was very friendly and helpful after a slight glitch at check-in (which was apologized for), so all went well. At check out when asking about some sights we hoped to see on our next leg of the trip, we found the other guests in line with us more helpful than the front desk -- seems they could have been a bit more knowledgeable, but again, they were friendly. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple