“I think we got food poisoning”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 12 October 2006

My husband and I started our week long trip up the coast to San Francisco with the first night at the Apple Farm. We felt perfectly fine until after we ate dinner. My food was luke warm and we had to send it back. Of course I had my husband try a bit to see what he thought. Well that night, to say the least was a nightmare. We were both puking until morning. We told the front desk and they had the on staff doctor talk to me.She said no one else had reported anything wrong and perhaps I ate something before we came there-Can't prove it but I really think it was from here. The couple next to us also said their food was not hot and they had stomache cramps all night. Really started our trip off bad -we didn't really recover until 3 days later. Just watch what you eat-it may have been the cider. Who knows....

Stayed: October 2006
9  Thank kweequi

Reviewed 16 August 2006

We stayed there on August 12th for one night. After all the hype we were a little disappointed. Ten years ago when Laura Ashley was still interesting this place was "the Bomb". Now for $285.00 a night including tax, it was actually annoyingly too busy. The bathrooms are very dated and not all that clean. Beds were only so so.

Summary: Way over priced. Needs updating. Restaurant is solid but not fancy or all that charming.

Stayed: August 2006
14  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Let me start out by saying that the Apple Farm is one of my family's favorite places to stay. The ambiance is wonderful and charming. We stayed for one night, June 4th, this time around. We usually stay at the Apple Farm Inn, but when I booked our rooms in February there was no room at the Apple Farm Inn, so we opted for the Trellis Court. The person taking my reservation warned that the Trellis Court rooms back to Highway 101 so that there would be some Highway noise. I asked if the rooms were air conditioned and he said that they were, so I figured we could always keep the windows closed.

When we arrived in San Luis Obispo, it was very warm. The rooms that we were given were the farthest away from the Inn and closest to the Highway - we got the two end rooms. We checked into rooms and the decor was just as charming as the Inn. The rooms were hot, so we turned the air conditioning units on and took a walk around the Inn and went to dinner at the restaurant. The resturant has a nice menu and he food is yummy. About two hours later, we returned and our room was as hot as before. The air conditioning wasn't working so we went to phone the front desk. The phone wasn't working either. It was cooling down outside so we opened up the windows to let some cool air in the room. The Highway noise was loud but not deafening, so we just kept the windows open for the night and somehow slept that night. The bed was a bit worn out, but OK. We went to eat breakfast at the restaurant, so we stopped at the front desk to let them know that the air conditioner and phone didn't work. They said they would send someone out. After we returned from our breakfast, the door to our room was ajar, but nobody was in the room. There was a dirty rag by the air conditioner, so the maintenance staff had evidently been by, but forgot to close the door. In the mean time there was a huge van delivering mattresses in the parking lot right outside our room. The men delivering the mattresses were somewhat loud and boisterous - it was a bit uncomfortable. The truck and delivery people finally left, but the maintenance people never did return.

We were warned about the Highway noise when we made our reservation, but we were given the absolute closest rooms to the Highway. I would understand if the Trellis Court was fully booked, but the rest of the parking lot was virtually empty. I would say that only 20-30 percent of the rooms at the Trellis Court were occupied at best. If we were going to stay another night, I would have insisted upon another room.

The Apple Farm Trellis Court did give us a 20% discount on our room for the trouble, but in all honesty - I would not stay at the Trellis Court again.

• Stayed: June 2006
21  Thank CatCalico
A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed 29 June 2006

A friend and I stayed here for one night on our way driving down the West coast. It is the prettiest hotel I have ever stayed in! There were freshly baked cookies in the evening, a free shuttle to the Farmer's Market, a fire in the room and a four poster bed. The attached restaurant served beautiful, enormous breakfasts.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

I have been meaning to write a review of the Apple Farm Inn for a long time now (as you can see by when we visited). We stayed there whilst on holiday last year and it was one of the highlights - it exceeded expectations in every way. The pool and jacuzzi (small pool but fine to cool off in) are lovely, the room was amazing and the service impeccable. And when I got home there was a hand written card thanking us for staying. We stayed in the main hotel, not the motel section.

I was sorry we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank Jenny181174
Reviewed 11 June 2006

My husband and I and another couple booked to stay in a family suite as we were told it had two bedrooms with a shared bathroom. No problem we thought..until we arrived! You opened the front door onto one bedroom with a huge four poster bed that left no room for anything else. The second bedroom had two queen sized beds which were fine but the room was in a motel block that was right next to Highway 101. The noise was deafening. We went to reception and complained. The receptionist said it was a busy weekend and all the rooms were booked. She offered us ear plugs to block out the noise. We told her that was unacceptable. Nowhere on their web-site does it mention how close the rooms are to the road. It does say "3-diamond motel setting at the Trellis Court surrounded by shade trees, flower gardens and mountain views. " Very misleading. Anyway, she said she would speak to a supervisor. He came back to us and offered us one room with two queen beds for the four of us. We told him we were friends but not that friendly. Perhaps he thought we were swingers. We told him we were insulted at his offer and very unhappy at the misleading information on the web-site. As he had nothing else to offer us we had to stay in the cramped and noisy conditions for one night. The next night we were all moved into two separate rooms in the main hotel building that were fabuluous. Very spacious, nicely decorated and cosy - and all at no extra charge (we should think so too!We told him that the information on the web-site should be changed to advise people of the road noise. He said he would put our point forward. So far, no change! So if you're thinking of staying at Apple Farm make sure you don't stay in the motel buildings and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: May 2006
17  Thank sjh50
Reviewed 9 June 2006

This place has a country/victorian decor'.....single men/business travellers, not for you. The room was extremely clean and neat, but felt like I was staying in a 13 yr old girl's room.....mind you I'm a 31 yr old man. Very good location, downtown is a two minute car ride and quick to highway 101 in the morning. The (country) resturant was very good for breakfast. It was a perfect stop on our way down the Cali coast with my girlfriend....as I said, extremely clean. Check their website for specials.

• Stayed: June 2006