“Good stay...at a price...”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles
“Good stay...at a price...”
Reviewed 21 October 2006

My wife and I have stayed here before, and I must admit that the Courtyard rooms (what people refer to as the "motel") are small. They are comfortable....and yes, they are located near Highway 101.

There was no noise issue from our room (and I thought there might be because we were very close to the highway).

I do like the food--served hot and fresh. I especially like the hot apple cider in the lobby (think "drinkable apple pie"). I also liked the addition of the "wellness" spa where my wife and I got 55minute massages. The price for this service is very reasonable, and the person who worked on us was very good.

My only complaint is the hike in price: The last time I stayed here (same time of year), the same room was $99/night. Rooms are small, but you get a fireplace, room service, and now a massage. That would be a steal.

But...the price this time was 165/night...a little pricey. Now, maybe this is because of location (near downtown/Hearst Castle/Cambria etc.), but still...we are not talking about staying in the main part of the Inn.

It wasn't a bad experience...just a little more expensive. Try booking through one of the online services and possibly getting a lower rate.

• Liked — The spa, the cider, and the food....
  • Disliked — Room price
  • Tips/Secrets — Use Orbitz/Expedia etc. and try to get a lower rate
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Jacob_Fargon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
bay point ca.
Reviewed 13 October 2006

One of the nicest hotels we have stayed in,,well worth the price..enjoyed the wine/tea time in the garden met with some really nice couples..the rooms made you feel you were in the garden at all times..nicely decorated..very quiet and the staff was over and beyond helpful...
Be sure and go to the Chamber of Commerece and get your free book on SLO and surrounding areas with great discounts..restaurants... plus hotels..I always make a habit of stopping at the visitors center and getting any info on the area we are visiting..Saves time and money...

• Liked — tea time in the garden
  • Disliked — breakfast coupon
  • Tips/Secrets — get to the cookie tray at 7:00 pm on time..they go fast
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sandee37
southern california
Reviewed 12 October 2006

My husband and I started our week long trip up the coast to San Francisco with the first night at the Apple Farm. We felt perfectly fine until after we ate dinner. My food was luke warm and we had to send it back. Of course I had my husband try a bit to see what he thought. Well that night, to say the least was a nightmare. We were both puking until morning. We told the front desk and they had the on staff doctor talk to me.She said no one else had reported anything wrong and perhaps I ate something before we came there-Can't prove it but I really think it was from here. The couple next to us also said their food was not hot and they had stomache cramps all night. Really started our trip off bad -we didn't really recover until 3 days later. Just watch what you eat-it may have been the cider. Who knows....

Stayed October 2006
9 Thank kweequi
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 16 August 2006

We stayed there on August 12th for one night. After all the hype we were a little disappointed. Ten years ago when Laura Ashley was still interesting this place was "the Bomb". Now for $285.00 a night including tax, it was actually annoyingly too busy. The bathrooms are very dated and not all that clean. Beds were only so so.

Summary: Way over priced. Needs updating. Restaurant is solid but not fancy or all that charming.

Stayed August 2006
14 Thank Steve S
Colorado
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Let me start out by saying that the Apple Farm is one of my family's favorite places to stay. The ambiance is wonderful and charming. We stayed for one night, June 4th, this time around. We usually stay at the Apple Farm Inn, but when I booked our rooms in February there was no room at the Apple Farm Inn, so we opted for the Trellis Court. The person taking my reservation warned that the Trellis Court rooms back to Highway 101 so that there would be some Highway noise. I asked if the rooms were air conditioned and he said that they were, so I figured we could always keep the windows closed.

When we arrived in San Luis Obispo, it was very warm. The rooms that we were given were the farthest away from the Inn and closest to the Highway - we got the two end rooms. We checked into rooms and the decor was just as charming as the Inn. The rooms were hot, so we turned the air conditioning units on and took a walk around the Inn and went to dinner at the restaurant. The resturant has a nice menu and he food is yummy. About two hours later, we returned and our room was as hot as before. The air conditioning wasn't working so we went to phone the front desk. The phone wasn't working either. It was cooling down outside so we opened up the windows to let some cool air in the room. The Highway noise was loud but not deafening, so we just kept the windows open for the night and somehow slept that night. The bed was a bit worn out, but OK. We went to eat breakfast at the restaurant, so we stopped at the front desk to let them know that the air conditioner and phone didn't work. They said they would send someone out. After we returned from our breakfast, the door to our room was ajar, but nobody was in the room. There was a dirty rag by the air conditioner, so the maintenance staff had evidently been by, but forgot to close the door. In the mean time there was a huge van delivering mattresses in the parking lot right outside our room. The men delivering the mattresses were somewhat loud and boisterous - it was a bit uncomfortable. The truck and delivery people finally left, but the maintenance people never did return.

We were warned about the Highway noise when we made our reservation, but we were given the absolute closest rooms to the Highway. I would understand if the Trellis Court was fully booked, but the rest of the parking lot was virtually empty. I would say that only 20-30 percent of the rooms at the Trellis Court were occupied at best. If we were going to stay another night, I would have insisted upon another room.

The Apple Farm Trellis Court did give us a 20% discount on our room for the trouble, but in all honesty - I would not stay at the Trellis Court again.

• Stayed June 2006
21 Thank CatCalico
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2006

A friend and I stayed here for one night on our way driving down the West coast. It is the prettiest hotel I have ever stayed in! There were freshly baked cookies in the evening, a free shuttle to the Farmer's Market, a fire in the room and a four poster bed. The attached restaurant served beautiful, enormous breakfasts.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 21 June 2006

I have been meaning to write a review of the Apple Farm Inn for a long time now (as you can see by when we visited). We stayed there whilst on holiday last year and it was one of the highlights - it exceeded expectations in every way. The pool and jacuzzi (small pool but fine to cool off in) are lovely, the room was amazing and the service impeccable. And when I got home there was a hand written card thanking us for staying. We stayed in the main hotel, not the motel section.

I was sorry we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed June 2005