“Apple Farm Inn Honeymoon Suite”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Norfolk, Virginia
“Apple Farm Inn Honeymoon Suite”
Reviewed 30 April 2007

Me and my husband (then fiance) stayed here for my birthday in February of 2006 and we absolutely loved our stay. Our room was in the main inn, and though it isn't what one would consider "highly luxurious" it was cute and quaint and we enjoyed the small bottle of Martinelli's and the wooden apple left as a souvenir for us. There was a social hour at the Mill House and we went for cookies and cider. Afterwards we had dinner at the restaurant and the food was wonderful! We walked around a bit, and browsed through the gift shop, and went back to our room. There was a problem with our fireplace, though we weren't using it, it kept on making this weird noise, so we called the front desk and the night auditor immediately came to look at it. He didn't know what was wrong, but he thought something was wrong so he asked us if we wanted to switch rooms and we said ok. Well, he moved us into one of the Honeymoon Suites in the Mill House and the room was absolutely luxurious! The furniture, bedding, decorations were all beautiful, and on our little private porch there was a jacuzzi tub, so we spent part of the night in the jacuzzi, looking up at the stars. This is the room to stay in!! In the morning, I wanted to surprise my fiance with breakfast but there is no room service, so that is the only downside. If you have the chance to stay in one of the Mill Suites, take it!

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — lack of room service
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
california
Reviewed 18 April 2007

My review is long but I like to give lots of details.

I had stayed at Apple Farm Inn 10 years ago and our room was in the Trellis Court. It was nice but I thought to myself that the next time I would rather stay in the main hotel. I was right.

We saw the ad for the Bounty of the County package in the L.A.Times. 2 nights in a Deluxe room, a day of sightseeing (a lavendar farm, olive oil farm, and several wineries), a gourmet lunch to take with you on your sightseeing trip, a pie to take home, a bottle of BBQ sauce, and a $20 gas voucher to use at the Chevron across street. No online booking, you need to call the hotel directly. The package is only available Sunday through Friday.

There were no King Deluxe rooms available when I called so I reserved the Queen. Two days later there was a confirmation letter in the mail, nice touch. All the details & price, it even tells you your room number.

The check-in was smooth. We selected our gourmet lunch options: a selection of sandwiches, fruit or potato salad, and choice of soda. There was an apple & homebaked cookie and cheese & crackers included. We got our tour package information in a manila folder with all of our vouchers & our driving directions inside. Great for keeping everything organized.

This is a non-smoking hotel & it smelled clean & fresh, not like a smoking hotel with air fresheners. We were in room 121. There are two queen beds and the room was huge! The mattresses were too firm for our taste but they looked new and were extra thick, you almost needed a stepstool to get up on them. The bedding is a little worn looking but the room was spotless.

Extra touches like the live carnations in the little vase on the mirror (changed daily) and the sanitized bath mat were noticed. The counter was huge, more than enough room for all of our toiletries. No drawers in the bathroom. The soap was very nice smelling, (available in the gift shop for $2.95 so put one away & you'll get a new one the next) There were good sized bottles of Thermalae jasmine & green tea shampoo , jasmine conditioner, lavendar lotion & orange/grapefruit bath gel (with push tops, I like those better than screw top bottles.)

No dresser for your clothes but enough hangers & two suitcase valets. (I tend to forget to emply the drawers anyway.) The hair dryer (stored in the closet) was powerful, I have long hair & hate little wimpy dryers. There was an ironing board & iron in the closet.

The little bottles of Martinelli's & Hershey kisses were a nice touch. The wooden apple was on the stand by the door with the note to keep it as a momento. The robes looked new (the price is now $85 to purchase in the gift shop, I should have bought one when it was $50). The gift shop is on 3 floors and has some very nice things. Different sections, childrens, gardening, etc. The prices are a bit high but no higher than any other boutique shop. The suction cup vases are available here so I bought 2.

The vacancy sign was lit both days so I know it wasn't crowded but our room was very, very quiet. I didn't hear another soul until the 2nd morning when we heard someone walking about above us. The view outside the shuttered windows was to a small garden.

We went to the evening reception, had some wine & the breads that were available & sat in the little courtyard. The small fountains were nice sounding. It was a relaxing 30 minute respite. The plantings at this hotel are very well kept & very lush.

The hotel clerk recommended that we start our tour early so we had the clerk make us a 7:30am reservation for the restaurant. The food was good, I had oatmeal with a scone & fruit (the fruit was not quite ripe) and my husband had the chorizo & eggs. He liked his meal. I did notice that the food wasn't hot enough when it arrived. The service was very good, coffee & water refills came often. If you charge it too your room you get $5 off so we did. It was about $12 each with coffee.

Our tour started at the Lavendar farm, a nice family owns it. We told them we were on the Apple Farm tour. They offer you the free sachet without you having to ask. She didn't even ask for the coupon. We bought some lotion & soaps at reasonable prices.

We continued to the Olea farm for the olive oil tasting. The owner is from France and couldn't have been nicer. We tasted 5 fabulous oils and a local fig balsamic vinegar. He brought us out to see the olive trees that he had planted himself. We bought 2 bottles of oil & the vinegar. He handed me the lip balm without me asking for it.

We continued on to the Wild Horse winery. She did ask for the coupon but I had left it in the car. She said no problem & we had our wine tasting. Lots of choices to pick your 5 from. Wine tastings are not cheap. It would have cost us $10 each if we were not on the Apple Farm package.

At this point we decided to go to just one more winery & end our tour but we couldn't find the Sylvester Vinyard! The directions made no sense at one point. Turns out another couple we saw on the tour couldn't find it either. (We mentioned it to the clerk when we got back so I hope they correct the directions to make it easier to find.)

At this point we were getting hungry & we realized that we forgot to pick up our gourmet lunches from the front desk before we left the hotel! We drove to Cambria instead ate at a small diner, the food was ok but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

We then headed to Morro Bay to pick up some salt water taffy & check out the art galleries.

When we got back to the hotel we picked up our gourmet lunches & had them for dinner. They were very good (and would have cost $23 for both if we had purchased them from the restaurant.)

We ate breakfast the next morning at the restaurant. We didn't make reservations this time but we were early enough that we didn't have to wait. By the time we left there was a 10 minute wait, not bad but it's not high season so I would recommend reservations.

I had the crab cake eggs benedict. Yummy but again, not hot enough, things sit too long before they get to your table. My husband had the chicken fried steak & he enjoyed it very much. The check averaged out to about $17 each. We had already checked out of the hotel but we would have gotten a $5 discount if we had charged it to the room.

I had forgotten to get the free bottle of BBQ sauce (again, you're supposed to charge it to the room for inventory purposes) but the clerk just called the front desk and I got it with no problem. We used our coupon to get our free whole pie and headed home.

We both enjoyed our stay very much and will be going back again. We thought the package was an excellent deal.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms & the price of the package.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank frametek
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 April 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Apple Farm Inn 5 years ago and had a wonderful time. We decided to return on a recent trip up the coast and were really looking forward to our stay. While the inn itself is still a very warm and inviting place with great comfort food at the on site restaurant, there have been a few changes since our last visit.

The turn down service was something we looked forward to as our last trip we remember returning to our room in the evening to soft music playing, the fireplace glowing, the shades drawn, and the lights dimmed creating a very relaxing and soothing atmosphere. On this visit, there was no fireplace going and the lights were all turned on bright which really had an adverse effect on creating a bedtime environment.

The cleaning crew had changed from bubbly college kids who payed special attention to details, to the commonplace 'motel' type staff who forgot to refill the simple things like tissues, toilet paper, soap, etc..

The mattress in our room seemed old and very uncomfortable and the bedding really needs an upgrade.

There seemed to be animals and/or children of some sort making a huge ruckus upstairs from us...all night long. When we went to the front desk in the morning to complain, they knew exactly what room it was coming from leading us to believe that others complained as well. Thank goodness those people checked out the next day.

The front desk staff and concierge were friendly and seemed to want to assist in their guests needs.

We were told that inn is under new ownership that took over in the last few years. This is still a nice place to stay but I really hope that the new management can kick it into to gear and fix a few of the issues that could lead to a decline in their reputation. Why fix what wasn't broken?

Stayed April 2007
5 Thank Hugh7
san francisco
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We booked 3 rooms for 3 nights; we waited until 5:30p to get the rooms. Arrogant staff; room keys did not work; noisy rooms (staff); noisy first floor rooms; poor service at the restaurant; no room service!! no bar. restaurant closed most of the time. Certainly not a 4 or even 3 stars experience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service, noise, absence of room service, etc
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank johSanFrancisco
Carmel Valley, CA
Reviewed 12 March 2007

We stayed one night as part of a quick trip through SLO. It's right off the highway. We had two Queens for $259 plus tax. The place is very clean and well kept but for all the "amenities"...

Frankly its just not worth it.

Yes there's free cider in the lobby. Oh and some cookies. They were good. There's coffee in the morning in the lobby. There's flowers in the room. The tiniest bunch, no bigger than your palm, in a tiny vase stuck to the bathroom mirror. The one truly nice touch was the simple gas fireplace in the room. Outside there's a "mill" with a water wheel for the kids to see but it's not very interesting. There's an antique Ford truck out front. There's a small outdoor pool.

The place has a simple charm and some will like that. Others [me] found it rather tacky and certainly overpriced. Too many stuffed bunnies and frilly lace. But folks lets be clear, its a motel with lots of frilly lace and bunnies.

$259 a night?

Nah.

BTW the Apple Farm restaurant was merely a step above Applebees.

Sorry but if I was grumpier I'd call it a tourist trap.

• Liked — Very clean, nice fireplace in the room
  • Disliked — Bunnies, bunnies, bunnies... tacky
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Cubro
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 October 2006

My wife and I have stayed here before, and I must admit that the Courtyard rooms (what people refer to as the "motel") are small. They are comfortable....and yes, they are located near Highway 101.

There was no noise issue from our room (and I thought there might be because we were very close to the highway).

I do like the food--served hot and fresh. I especially like the hot apple cider in the lobby (think "drinkable apple pie"). I also liked the addition of the "wellness" spa where my wife and I got 55minute massages. The price for this service is very reasonable, and the person who worked on us was very good.

My only complaint is the hike in price: The last time I stayed here (same time of year), the same room was $99/night. Rooms are small, but you get a fireplace, room service, and now a massage. That would be a steal.

But...the price this time was 165/night...a little pricey. Now, maybe this is because of location (near downtown/Hearst Castle/Cambria etc.), but still...we are not talking about staying in the main part of the Inn.

It wasn't a bad experience...just a little more expensive. Try booking through one of the online services and possibly getting a lower rate.

• Liked — The spa, the cider, and the food....
  • Disliked — Room price
  • Tips/Secrets — Use Orbitz/Expedia etc. and try to get a lower rate
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jacob_Fargon
bay point ca.
Reviewed 13 October 2006

One of the nicest hotels we have stayed in,,well worth the price..enjoyed the wine/tea time in the garden met with some really nice couples..the rooms made you feel you were in the garden at all times..nicely decorated..very quiet and the staff was over and beyond helpful...
Be sure and go to the Chamber of Commerece and get your free book on SLO and surrounding areas with great discounts..restaurants... plus hotels..I always make a habit of stopping at the visitors center and getting any info on the area we are visiting..Saves time and money...

• Liked — tea time in the garden
  • Disliked — breakfast coupon
  • Tips/Secrets — get to the cookie tray at 7:00 pm on time..they go fast