“Loved the Hotel Grounds”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
San Diego
“Loved the Hotel Grounds”
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I really liked how the plantings on the hotel grounds were bieng kept. I will deffinately return and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank manuelv619

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
California
Reviewed 4 August 2007

Very pleasant accommodations. Staff accommodating.
Beds comfortable. Lemonade, coffee & tea & apples available during the day. Afternoons lent to a complimentary reception of wine, various beverages, baked goods,& fruit. Fresh baked cookies for enjoyment in the evenings. Outside grounds beautifully appointed. Gift shops, restaurant and bakery are located on the inn proper which is a definite plus as a determining factor. Only suggestion would be carpet cleaning in the room we occupied.

Stayed June 2007
Monterey, Ca.
Reviewed 13 July 2007

We've stayed at this hotel a number of times over the years and always found it to be a wonderful experience. As someone who travels quite a bit for work, I appreciate the cleanliness of the hotel rooms and the relaxing atmosphere around the property. The hotel feels like you're staying in someone's home it's so inviting. The service has been nothing less than exemplary when we've been there (we've even written a letter to their management commending their concierge) so frankly I'm surprised to read some of the other reviews. There are not many hotels where even the housekeeping staff will greet you in the halls with a smile and say, "hello, how are you today"?. This is one of those hotels. Definitely recommend it....but not if you're looking for a swanky, modern, fast-paced environment.

• Liked — The ambiance and service
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Los angeles
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I have stayed at the Inn numerous times. Each time the staff and rooms were delightful. It's true the room are a bit OTT, but more's the fun. There is something beautiful to look at wherever you roam. The gift shop is especially fun to browse and the restaurant has been consistantly good. I always recommend the Apple Farm to my friends that are traveling up the coast.
Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Losangeles
Reviewed 11 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Apple Farm Inn a few months ago in 2007. I had heard some really great things about the hotel from friends who had stayed there in the past. We finally had a weekend free to get away and relax, so I thought it would be fun to see it for ourselves.

I'm so glad we decided to do it. When we pulled into the parking lot, my very first impression was that we were visiting a private residence. It did not feel like a hotel. There were so many unique personal touches everywhere. I loved the landscaping, and the decor. I wish my home looked like this! So much character and elegance! The mill was so cool! We loved the homemade apple juice!

We found the Apple Farm Inn to be extremely service oriented and through. The staff were friendly, and helpful. They had so many great suggestions for fun things to do in the area, and we both love wine tasting! We ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was great!

We have both stayed in many wonderful hotels, and rate The Apple Farm Inn as one of our most favorites. We would recommend the Apple Farm Inn to anyone, and would not hesitate to stay there again in the future.

• Liked — It was very comfortable. Loved the atmosphere. Very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything negative about the accommodations.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristinbiggs
Southern California
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We had a VERY disappointing stay at the Apple Farm Inn. We found that the customer service was not up to par with other places we have stayed. We found the location to be inconvenient especially since there are comparable and less expensive hotels closer to town. Do spend your time dining in town where you can find many good and reasonable places to eat. Plus, you get that great SLO experience. All in all, if we returned we would not stay at this hotel. In our opinion it just isn't worth the money.

• Liked — Didn't Like It
  • Disliked — Bad customer service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel4Fun4321
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 11 June 2007

The Apple Farm is nice, but I'm not sure why it's so popular. I stayed in the less expensive Trellis Court, which is a glorified motel. The inn itself seemed very nice when I walked through it, and I would suggest staying there if you have that option. My room was uniquely decorated--not urban chic at all--but very, very dark! Effectively, this place seems like a cross between the Madonna Inn and Econo Lodge but without the good lighting.

Staff were friendly but not the sweetest bunch I've met, and I didn't mind that. The snacks are nice and the grounds are as well, but the parking arrangement is peculiar. (The lots, plural, have countless compact spaces and only a handful of full-size spaces.) I felt a bit out of place as a younger single male in a motel geared towards middle-aged and older couples, so I would not recommend the Apple Farm to anyone under the age of 35 or anyone single.

The pool and hot tub looked okay, but I didn't try them out since I was short on time. The hot tub looks like it doesn't get much use, so this place probably isn't known for its pool scene. The on-premises restaurant is popular, but I went to eat downtown instead. (I used to live in SLO, so I like having the selection.)

There are many motels and hotels around the Apple Farm that offer similar amenities. While most don't have quite the same "charm" as this place (most others are chain accommodations), the Apple Farm is too expensive for what is offered. Even at the discounted $139/night rate I paid, I could get the same thing elsewhere in town for $99. And since Apple Farm is the motel furthest to the east on Monterey Street, most of the hotels/motels in SLO are slightly closer to downtown. Ultimately, I suggest considering Apple Farm but not making it a point to stay here when you have options.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business