“Would make a trip from the UK just to stay here”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
“Would make a trip from the UK just to stay here”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We have stayed here twice and loved every minute if it.
The first time, we stayed in one if the motel style rooms with a private hot tub.
The room was fairly small, but as we only really use it to sleep in, it wasn't a problem.
The hot tub was perfect!

The second visit, we treat ourselves to one of the rooms above The Millhouse. Spacious, clean, well equipped and once again, it had a hot tub out in the balcony.

The cookies and drinks in the lobby are a nice touch, but you do need to make enough as I'm sure some people take far more than they should!

The apple juice and ice cream for sale in the Millhouse is just to die for!

As a treat next year, my husband and I are bringing our 3 grown up children, together with wives/husbands and our new grandchildren.
I dont thunk we will be able to stretch to staying here as we need 4 rooms, but we will be paying a visit to show the family The Apple Farm, as they know it holds very special memories for us. (I promise we won't steal the cookies!)

Sally from England

• Stayed December 2009
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
Thank you for reviewing our property. We are so happy that you enjoyed both your visits to the Apple Farm and that you plan to return next year with your family all the way from the UK. Our cookies are pretty popular and seems like no matter how many we put out, they are gone in a flash. They really are tasty! Thank you so much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 4 November 2010

My wife and I planned our weekend getaway based on a friend’s referral. Reading through the reviews a few days before, I almost considered canceling our stay. Our experience was absolutely incredible. From check in, to the restaurant and gift shops and even in passing, the staff was warm, friendly and helpful the entire time. The lobby had brochures to assist us in our planning for how to spend the day. We enjoyed the Mill House Suite and loved our room, view and the balcony hot tub. I can’t say enough of how wonderful this place is and how memorable our time spent was. We will be returning for our Anniversary in a few months. Our standards are high. We travel frequently and stay in higher end hotels or cruise with the higher end cruise lines and this hotel falls right in this category to us. The hotel is older and demonstrates wonderful character. I felt the room, hotel in general and site were kept up and maintained very well. If I were to make a recommendation for improvement it would be to provide plush towels and better quality toilet paper and tissue to keep up with the other high qualities and attention to detail that were provided. I’m guessing the older plumbing may be a reason for the harsh paper. This is by no means a complaint but merely an observation for improvement. Special note to the quality of food, service and experience we had both nights in the restaurant. Our experience was absolute wonderful from the view, to the soft music and relaxing ambiance that made our trip the most memorable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. It is great that our staff members exceeded your expectations in guest service. The Millhouse rooms really are a special place to stay and we are glad that you were able to experience them. Thank you for all your feedback. We hope to welcome you again soon!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Let me start by saying that the reviews of front desk that the reviews of the front desk staff did not ring true for me. I looked at her name tag so that I could give her props, but I have too much in my head already, so it didn't stick. Management, please give a raise to the woman who was on duty around 2:30 p.m. today.

That said, I'm lying in bed in my room as we speak. It's really cute, if small. But I don't need much space. It's old fashioned and I like that; and I LOVE the fireplace. The Wi-Fi is both free and easy to connect. They've even got great shampoo/conditioner/soaps. LOL. I haven't taken a shower yet, but I can't imagine that it will be bad. I'll amend my review if it isn't at least decent.

I had dinner at the restaurant on-site. I was half-an hour early but they let me order off the dinner menu anyway. Because I was early, the rice pilaf wasn't ready. The women at the counter apologized profusely. Management, they all deserve a raise as well. I wasn't as impressed w/ the food, but it wasn't bad either.

I would definitely stay here again. If I do come back w/ my partner, we'll get the KING room. The Queen is too small for two... are you listening? Great for business travel and I suspect that it'll be great for couples as well.

The only thing that I don't "love" is the bed. It's not particularly comfortable and it could use bigger pillows. I'll let you know if I don't sleep well. I've been up since 5 a.m., so that might not be a problem.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are so pleased that you were impressed by our staff and I will be sure to pass on your comments to upper management. For future stays, we do have a bed menu available to our reservation agents to help you pick out a mattress type (whether you prefer firm or soft) that suits you. We really do appreciate your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon!
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Hmm where to start, when we arrived at the inn, we noticed thet there were only 2 pillows on the bed, when i requested housekeeping for extra pillows , not only did i get them right away, but also got goose feather pillows...dreamy!!
as the day progressed it just got better, we had a reception for guest with tasty wine and h'orderves... later inthe trip one of our family fell ill and we had to take him to the emergency room, unfortunately we had to rush out of the hotel, to my surprise, when we were coming back to orange county, we received a phone call from the inn, enquiring about the health of our relative, and offering any help if possible...

really amazing stay, cant wait to go back and spend some more quality time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our hotel and that we were able to go above and beyond to make your visit special. We sincerely appreciate your comments and we look forward to your next visit to the Apple Farm.
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We were impressed seeing the photos when we booked but we were more impressed when we stayed there! This inn is really classy. I loved the décors of the room and the lobby. The bathroom was very big and beautiful. The interior is superb and the exterior is very good with lots of flower beds, plants and apple trees in it. The water mill looked cool. Overall the place is very beautiful and charming. It has nice restaurant with superb ambience too. This inn has one gift shop and one apple products shop. It also has a swimming pool.

We booked a package (from their website) which included fixed menu breakfast and Champagne/Apple Cider. We chose for Apple cider and they sent it immediately to our room when we checked-in. It was very tasty. Our breakfast included muffin, scones, fresh fruits and coffee which were delicious. They also had big menu for hot breakfast and dinner. Their restaurant is accessible by road entrance too so even people living in other hotel can enjoy food here.

Overall, I loved this place and would definitely stay here

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! Our staff works hard to ensure you have a nice experience and we are pleased that we succeeded in impressing you. It sounds like you were able to experience all the different aspects of our facility. We really appreciate your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!
El Sobrante, California
Reviewed 15 September 2010

It was a very quaint small inn. The ambiance is quite beautiful and homey. The rooms are tastefully decorated without too much floral or country theme. The lobby was very welcoming and I love all the small details. My husband and I enjoyed the window seatings ver much. There is really no view, because it is situated near the exit in downtown SLO. However, the clerk who checked us in wasn't very friendly. She just asked my name, handed me the keys and did not give any information at all on what the hotel has to offer. There was no "welcome", just whats your name. If you're going to advertise country theme inns, there better be a warm country apple pie welcome esp. with the rate their charging $269 average a nite. The food at the restaurant was deliciously albate expensive. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. The housekeepers were also very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank citizenlen
applefarm, Public Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are thrilled that you enjoyed most of your stay. I apologize for the lackluster experience you had with our Front Desk agent. Clearly, their behavior is not up to our standards of warm and accommodating guest service. We will be addressing this issue immediately. We do appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Apple Farm!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My family and I showed up at this hotel and from the looks of it it looks very pleasant. Took a while to check in. We got all settled into our room and decided to Call up to the restaurant to make reservations for dinner and the hostess told us we did not need them, then we showed up and it was a 45 minute wait. Needless to say we were kind of upset. While waiting in the lobby my wife and I heard some young looking gals with longer hair talking about their personal lives i.e. how they got too trashed the night before and what guys they like. I did not appreciate this since my younger kids were standing close by. Seems like the gals behind the counter had more on their mind than helping the guests. I would not recommended this place to my friends and family and there really should be some kind of talk with the gals behind the counter on keeping their private lifes to themselves and sharing stores for after work. not on the clock.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the type to review our property. I sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience at the restaurant and at the Front Desk. We will be re-training our restaurant staff on always recommending reservations. We will also be re-training our Front Desk staff on their professionalism. What you experienced is not characteristic of our staff members and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We do hope we can welcome you again in the near future. Thank you once again for your feedback.