“This a great local family business,,,,”

Shalimar Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 302 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
San Luis Obispo, California
“This a great local family business,,,,”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I always enjoy eating here as not only the food is fresh and tasty it has the family here always working in different positions.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Marco-Babs

Fremont, Ohio
“The worse experience one can ever have at a restaurant”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I would have probably rated the restaurant on a negative score, given an option....the food was average, what made the experience horrible was the service provided by the owner, he was rude,sarcastic and obnoxiously sick in the head,if you don't want to be insulted or demeaned I urge you to look around for other restaurants in the SLO but this.....what surprises me is the audacity of a restaurant owner ill treating his guests....he made us feel as if we had the food for free and he did us a favour by serving us....I will never, ever recommend this restaurant to anyone....shame on Shalimar restaurant!!! and the uncultured owner in specific.....

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jane A
Buena Park, California
“Goat curry!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have been to more than a dozen Indian restaurants in several countries on different continents, but Shalimar is the only restaurant with Caucasian servers (the owners are Indian though)! The restaurant was packed and some people were waiting to be seated. I was wary when I saw that most of the customers were Caucasian (the old saying that restaurants are authentic only if natives eat there proved to be false here.). We went on a Monday night for dinner buffet (the only night offering dinner buffet). They serve lunch buffet daily, and you can also order off the menu. The buffet offered salads, fruits, two kinds of rice, curries (including goat curry, my favorite), chicken vindaloo, chicken tikka masala, some vegetarian options, and rice pudding and mango dessert. Everything was delicious. The goat curry could have used a little more spice (but I like heavily flavored foods). The mango dessert tasted like mango lassi with big chunks of mango in it. I will definitely come back next time I am in SLO.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Matthew J
San Luis Obispo, California
“Great family run restaurant,,,”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The ever so popular all you can eat lunch that does offers a variety of Indian tastings along with salad. Served by the very nice family that runs the restaurant. There is also a menu to order if you choose not to have the buffet. Again the flavors, variety and aroma are wonderful. I try to have lunch here at least once a week.

• Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I miss Jewel of India!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I am really sad that former Indian restaurant "Jewel of India" are no longer in business at this location. The family was very nice that owned the place and everything I ever ate there was fantastic.

I have only eaten here at "Shalimar" twice (once with friends during the Sunday afternoon buffet and this evening, when I ordered off the menu for pickup). The buffet lunch had some decent selections and was reasonably priced. Tonight, I ordered Vegetable Pakoras, Achar pickles, Aloo Gobi, Vegetable Biryani, Cilantro Naan and Aloo Paratha bread. The Pakoras and Aloo Gobi was good, but the Biryani was almost tasteless. The Cilantro Naan bread had a few green specks in it but NO TASTE OF CILANTRO and the Aloo Paratha bread, which should have been stuffed with potatoes, peas and spices, was just a plain piece of naan! Obviously, this was a mistake in the order, but I was already across town at home and was not going to go back to get the right stuff. This mediocre meal was going to cost me $36. Thankfully, I used a discount code and only paid $29. Even at that, it was overpriced for such a disappointing meal.

• Visited February 2013