“Wallet stolen”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Osos
“Wallet stolen”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My son-in-laws wallet was stolen out of his locker while having a massage. Locker was pried open. Less than helpful staff, very complacent! Never going back here and never referring it to out of town guests.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank AnnLosOsos
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your input and time in writing this review. This is a very unique, abnormal situation that has never occurred at Sycamore before. We apologize immensely to you and your son-in-law for this terrible circumstance. Our locker rooms are very secluded for treatment center guests only and have lockers in which the guest using them has the key. In this situation – the locker was definitely purposefully broken into; which is unlike anything we’ve seen.

Upon finding out – our staff did take action. They immediately called the police and reported the incident. They came and inspected the locker and situation. Upon filing the report, us and your son-in-law have been informed of the potential suspect trying to use the credit cards. We hope that from this, the police were able to follow up and catch the suspect.

Please know that Sycamore, as a whole, took this situation very seriously. Never would we be complacent in this type of circumstance. We only hope that you and your son-in-law will come visit us again and experience the beauty we have to offer.

Sycamore Mineral Springs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Korean first
dublin, ireland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Being honest, we didn't expect much from our stay here. It does look a wee bit shabby when you drive in but we loved every minute of our stay. We arrived late evening and had really just booked to break up our drive but it was a great little place. we stayed in journey and it was much bigger and more comfortable than we imagined. We had our own hot tub on the balcony and looking up at the stars in it was a gorgeous moment. Plus it had the biggest and highest bed I'd ever seen! The staff were also super friendly and helpful especially one server in the restaurant who was probably the loveliest we met on the entire trip and I wish I could remember his name so I could single him out for being so brilliant. The food in the restaurant was also gorgeous.The outside does look a bit run down but it really is worth a stay.

2 Thank audreydee
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Sycamore Mineral Springs. We are glad you stumbled upon us and enjoyed your whimsical stay! Sycamore values each guest and we appreciate the time it took for your review and comments.

We always like when guests can experience the true essence of Sycamore! Using our hot tubs, going on hikes, experiencing our nature all around is what sets Sycamore apart. We have the rarity of sitting atop natural mineral springs and to soak your body in the water, under the stars, really provide peace and relaxation.

Our restaurant is also a very special part of Sycamore, with fresh produce picked right on property from our Chef’s Garden. We are so glad you had a great dining experience with our wonderful service and memorable food!

We hope that you can come stay again sometime in the future!

Sycamore Mineral Springs
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The rooms are somewhat worn, although there is fresh glossy paint in two tones, and they're obviously cared for. The bed is crap. It's a mystery to me why you would want guests to come and rejuvenate and soak in the therapeutic waters and then sleep on a bouncy bed with junky pillows.
Yes, folks the water is a bit stinky but it works wonders on your aches and pains and on your skin too. The overall atmosphere is quiet and reflective with the exception of ? Neighbours playing some foreign language media too loudly at all hours.
Avila beach is gorgeous, the trails and such are beautiful.
All in all an enjoyable stay, as I say , bed no good. Fail on the sleep portion of the break, which is why only 3/5.

Room Tip: I'd want a room on the upper floor, for privacy. Ours was on the south side of the harmony bldg...
1 Thank sm_art_1970
SoCal
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here probably 5 times over the last few years because we enjoy the area and the location. We have always stayed in either a queen suite or in a West Meadows suite. In general, I have been satisfied with the rooms. During our most recent stay, we were in one of the West Meadows suites. The room was large and clean. In comparison to other hotels of a similar price, the room amenities fall a little short. The storage is limited and two of the drawers in the TV stand were broken, the carpet seems thin and cheap, the furniture seemed a little worn, and the bed was so tall, I could barely climb in it and I am 6 feet tall. Additionally, the West Meadows rooms have noise issues. They are on pilings and the mechanicals must be under the rooms. The water heaters were extremely noisy, as were the AC/Heating unit and the fan in the bathroom. Also, the walkway outside the room is elevated and noisy. All that being said, having the hot tub on the deck to use any time makes up for a lot.
My other concern is the staff. When you spend this much money for a room you expect a certain level of service. The resort routinely falls short in this area. The West Meadows suites are across the highway and over a bridge. There is no way to park close to these rooms. Ask for bell service on a golf cart. The desk clerk didn't mention or offer this service to us. It's a hike from the lobby to that part of the resort. I would suggest that you stay in a queen suite. The rooms are no better, the bed is a little smaller. You can park closer and there is less road noise. The one drawback is that there are garages under these rooms that are used for storage and they tend to open the garage doors early in the morning and make noise. While I've focused on some of the negative aspects, I'll probably go back. The area is nice and there's plenty to do on the central coast of California.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spidey1165
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Sycamore Mineral Springs. We are glad that you were able to get away and relax here at our Resort. Thank you for your time and comments, as it helps us improve for the future.

We are so glad you have been able to stay and enjoy Sycamore multiple times. There is so much our Resort offers that every time you can focus on a different aspect whether it’s relaxing and hot tubing or hiking and meditating and dining. We apologize for the noise inconveniences you had to deal with. We are hoping we can rid of some of these noise complaints with our new renovations and reconstruction happening in 2014.

As for the level of service you mentioned, we have addressed this issue with our Front Desk management. There should be golf cart service mentioned to you at time of check-in – especially when a guest is staying in West Meadows. Fortunately, you knew to inquire about this, and please never feel bad or shy asking for a golf cart ride – that’s why we have them after all! Hopefully this won’t happen again and every guest will be asked upon check-in whether they would like golf cart service.

Thank you again for your time and comments and we look forward to hosting your again in the future!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My Wife and I spent two days at this resort in a King Suite. The room was very spacious and clean. The furniture was somewhat dated yet in good condition. The King suite had a private balcony with a Fiberglass Mineral Hot tub. It was very relaxing to get in and out of the tub as you pleased. The room also had a nice fireplace.

The restaurant at the resort is great with locally sourced ingredients.

The spa was very relaxing and we both got the hot stone massage.

While the staff was not overly friendly, the were generally helpful and would greet you as you entered public areas.

Overall we will return to the property in the future without hesitation.

Room Tip: Get a King Suite as it is more private.
Ventura, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Staying at the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort (the "Sycamores") was my second-worst lodging experience ever. (My worst, in Newark, NJ, included being awakened by the sound of plate glass being smashed, followed by gunfire and an unannounced entering of my room by the police.)
Lodging units at the Sycamores are designated by name, not Unit number. There are two problems with that: (1) you can't find your assigned unit on their sprawling complex by its proximity to other units, and (2) electronic reservation systems remember Unit numbers perfectly but evidently not Unit names, as described below.
We arrived after 6 P.M. The desk clerk assigned us to Room X. We tried driving close to Room X. Because it was dark and it is difficult to read maps in the dark, we arrived at Room Y. To the considerable annoyance of the occupants of Room Y, we made two attempts to enter Room Y before concluding that it wasn't Room X.
We then drove back along the route we had come but ended up parking much further away from Room X than before because of inadequate parking space. After we parked, I walked to the building containing Room X and climbed the stairs (there was no elevator). I tried to enter Room X. It was occupied. I tried again. The occupant demanded to know my name and what I was doing. I explained. I was informed by the occupant that the room was occupied.
Being unable to reach the registration clerk by phone, I walked to the registration desk. The only clerk there was busy on the phone. I nonetheless informed him that we had been assigned a room that was occupied and tossed my room key onto his desk. He ignored me and continued on the phone for a few minutes. It turned out that the occupant of Room X was on the other end of the phone, was quite angry and was demanding more than an apology from the resort.
The clerk (who had assigned us to the occupied Room X) was initially baffled. He queried his computer system, then stated that we had been correctly assigned to Room X. Eventually he stated that we should have been assigned to a different room and assigned us to Room Z, which was near Room X. He did not indicate whether or not it had the same amenities as Room X.
I then went to Room Z to determine whether it was vacant and whether the electronic key given me for Room Z worked (the key he had given me for Room X hadn't worked). Satisfied on those points, I then walked back towards our car.
But since I had not returned to the car within the time interval expected, my roommate had concluded that I expected her to lug all of her baggage to our room by herself. We met as I was walking back towards our car. Both of us were now very upset. Those feelings did not quickly dissipate.
The walls between units were paper-thin. I was awakened in the middle of the night by people in an adjacent unit. Later I heard snoring from that unit. You'll need earplugs if you stay here.
Comfortable chairs for reading, relaxing, watching TV or conversation? There weren't any. Chairs in an average Motel 6 are slightly better. I have a bad back and was in considerable pain when we checked out.
Here is more information you might want to know before booking a stay at the Sycamores.
Drinking glasses or cups near the sink? There weren't any. Even Motel 6 provides drinking cups for water. If you have ever experienced a dry throat during the night, bring your own bottled water or paper cups.
Some units are not on the ground floor. There was no elevator serving our room on the second floor. The corridor serving units above the ground floor was an outside, narrow ledge which made lots of noise when walked on. Anyone arriving after we did or departing before us disturbed our stay, just as our arrival and departure must have disturbed other guests. Motel 6 has outside ledges but they're quieter.
Only one flight of stairs served the entire building, was outdoors and was at the end of the building furthest from the roadway nearest the building, i.e., the worst possible choice for a single stairway. If your assigned unit is upstairs and at the end of the building nearest the only roadway nearby, you must traverse the length of the building twice to reach your room in addition to climbing the stairs.
Don't arrive after dark. Building identifications are hard to read. Signs directing you to your destination (e.g., hotel registration) badly need repainting. For first-time visitors, it is a complete guess which building houses the registration desk.
In many cases including ours, it was not possible to park anywhere near our unit. So you'll probably need to bring an umbrella in case it rains.
There were no manually-operated luggage transporters, devices available without charge at virtually all commercial lodging facilities of any quality. That, in conjunction with the unavailability of proximate parking and our upstairs accommodations, left us with these choices: (1) valet service; (2) a bag-free stay; (3) an unpleasant experience handling our own baggage. To make a rational choice among these, one needs to determine where one's assigned room is and the availability of temporary parking near that room, if any, and then estimate how arduous the trip(s) between parked car and room would be. My roommate and I agreed on neither the choice nor the process to use in making a choice.
The hotel lobby doesn't exist. If you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep (because of noise in an adjacent room or otherwise), there is no place to go to read or watch TV; you must either disturb your roommate(s) or suffer in silence.
The resort dining room was a joke, unable to handle at any one time more than a small percentage of the total guests there during our stay. That feature would have been acceptable if there were other places to eat nearby, but there weren't.
Hand soap had an ultrathin cellophane wrap which I found impossible to remove with wet hands. Nor was the wrap discernible, even after trying to use the soap. (You don't need to know this if you don't mind having unclean hands.)
Sheets, towels and robes were very clean, indicating a professional linen service and putting Motel 6 to shame. (Budget motels are usually operated by proprietors who do their own laundry.) And the toilet paper was comfortable, unlike that of Motel 6.
If you're going to arrive late, don't bother calling to tell them that because they won't make a note of it. My surmise is that if they reserved a specific room for you, it might not be available if you arrive late for a weekend or holiday stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Charles C
SycamoreGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Charles,

Thank you for choosing Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa for your vacation and getaway. We were honored to host you. Thank you for the time it took to write your review.

We apologize for the room confusion you had to deal with. We try our best upon check-in to give a detailed map with the best route to your room drawn up. Sometimes these may still be a little confusing, so please, ask any questions you may have upon finding your room. Also, we love to offer help with your baggage through our golf cart service to your room and throughout the resort. We have this available for every guest, every stay, no matter the time.

All of the issues you stated have been addressed with the correct departments in hopes that neither you, nor any other guest will experience these things again. Thank you again for your time and concern. We appreciate it. Sycamore hopes to host you again sometime in the future.

Henderson, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed here with my wife a few years ago and the place is beautiful! Its hidden with lots of trees and covered with flowers everywhere. You can reserve a private bungalo to stay in or a room with a mineral spring. They are pretty secluded and worth the price. I remember reserving a suite with a nice size living room with a fireplace, a nice huge bedroom with a comfortable clean bed, and a private balcony with a mineral spring tub. You can also sign up for a complementry wine tasting at a winery where a shuttle picks you up from your hotel and take you to a gourgeous winery. The restaraunt at the resort is a very romantic place where they will accomodate your needs if you are celebrating that special engagment or anniversary. Overall its clean, the staff is helpful, there are things to do like go on a walk to the maze of stones. I can't say anything bad about this place except its not located in Nevada : (. But please take your spouse here and you'll come back again and again.

Room Tip: Depends on how selcuded you want to be. If you want absolute privacy get a bungalo. They are all pre...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 32 in San Luis Obispo
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn
#5 of 32 in San Luis Obispo

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!