“Stacey M.”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Strathmore
“Stacey M.”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Beautiful area, close to Avila farm and the beach!! Friendly staff..... Thank you Celeste for an amazing massage!! People that stayed above us were super loud through the night & early morning, made it hard to sleep but good trip overall.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Korean first
Fresno, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This past week end I reserved the 3 bedroom Villa for a very special weekend we had planned for my daughters 30th birthday, after talking with your staff I was confident that your Girlfriends package would be the perfect getaway for a very over worked Mother of 3. This was a very anticipated weekend.
Upon our arrival on Friday night I was greeted very nicely by your front desk staff and given the information for our room and the vouchers for our meal. When we went down to the house there were no lights on making it almost impossible to unlock the door. Once inside I was really surprised to see how out dated the home was. I felt like I had retreated back to the early 90’s. The bathroom upstairs is really bad with the carpeting that has been laid over the existing tile. The windows in the upstairs bedroom had no window coverings over the french doors which made the girls feel really unsafe. The downstairs bedroom with the king bed had a window that the lock did not even lock. No extra chair in that room only a desk. All of the rooms were sparse and missing pieces. As for the dining room, the home was to be able to accommodate 10 people and there was only 4 chairs for the dining room table. We had to pull chairs from other rooms to be able set at the table. Even one of those chairs came apart and pinched one of the girls when she lifted it. When I turned on the light in the dining room I was shocked to see the light over the table. It actually had the light bulb hanging down from the fixture and exposed wiring. What a eyesore!
The Kitchen was really in need of a major remodel. The ice maker did not work and when we tried to get the ice the drawer fell out and would not go back in. This made us have to call down and have you staff bring ice. The only glasses in the unit were wine or coffee cups. Not one water glass. When I tried to use the Toaster it would not work, I called down to the desk and was called back to say that they did not have any toasters to bring to us. There was not even a wine opener to open a bottle of wine. I ran the dishwasher and it sounded like a truck coming through the kitchen, and the garbage disposal was even worse. Upon getting up on Saturday we were greeted by the counter being covered in ants. And later we found them also upstairs in the master bath.
When we tried to use the Hot springs outside we had some troubles there also. The unit for the main floor does not have a light so it was pitch black and unsaf

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Luv-Food2255
SycamoreGuestService, Public Relations Manager at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Tammy,

Thank you so much for your recent trip and stay at Sycamore Mineral Springs. We are very happy that you and your daughter were able to get away to celebrate her 30th birthday! Thank you for taking time to write this review as it really helps us improve.

It sounds like there were a lot of hiccups during your stay in the Guest House and for that we greatly apologize. We wish for every guest staying there a pleasant and seamless stay. From your thorough review, we have been able to detail out all the missing elements and hassles that you experienced so that we may have all those pieces in line for all future guests.

As far as the aesthetics of the house, we are aware of these issues. Sycamore is actually in the process of a resort-wide remodel in which the Guest House will be included. We will be sure to take into consideration all that is mentioned in your review. After the remodel, we are confident that the guest house will be an even more ideal destination for all!

Thank you again for your time and insight from your review. We hope to see you again and wish a more pleasant stay in the future!

Sycamore Mineral Springs
Culver City
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Nav in car took me to another location then the place. Front desk had to guide me there. My gf had similar problem. My room had no airconditioning in it. We went when the weather was super hot. They moved us to the newer part if hotel with air. It was a huge difference. If I come back I will ask for suite in newer section of hotel with AIR! The restaurant at dinner took go revere to bring out the food. The service was not good. The spa experience was good except for the dingy group hot tubs. They have a lot if renovations to do there

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

San Diego
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I took my wife here for her birthday. We enjoyed the trails and the spa. The room was nice especially with the hot tub on the balcony It was just what we both needed. We look forward to staying here again in the future. The con: parking was like musical chairs.

San Pedro
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a great time! Just don't stay on the bottom floor, cause we could the people above us walking back and forth all night. Otherwise I would definitely come back and request to stay on the top floor!

Montecito
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Disappointed. Light in bedroom would not go off and blinked all night. Only ONE coffee cup available in the room. Fickle heating system. With all the activities available, why an 11:00 A.M. checkout? Stays in the past have been better.

San Diego
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was looking forward to a nice relaxing getaway on the coast - I have to say I was a little disappointed. The resort is tucked away in the valley, easy to get to but with high temps in the 90 -100 degree range it was really disappointing to not have an air-conditioning unit or a way to increase the overhead fans. The room was nice and spacious - but with the rustic area I think the pill (potato) bugs and carpenter ants thought it was a cool place to hang out also. For the nightly room rate and being a business traveler I expected more than was recieved.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Luis Obispo
#3 of 5 in Avila Beach
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn
#5 of 32 in San Luis Obispo

Been to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!