“Noisy Refrigerator”
Review of Sunbeam Motel

Sunbeam Motel
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Check-in was fine and Henry, the host is very personable. The room was clean but small and it could use some nicer and more comfortable chairs. My only real complaint was that when plugged in; the "fridge" made a racket and kept me awake the first night. We had food and drink in it and didn't want to take a chance that it would spoil so we left it plugged in. After all was eaten etc. we unplugged it the 2nd night and I slept a lot better. This motel is close to town and several eateries. If you're looking for a bargain and don't mind "roughing it" just a little; it's a good deal.

Room Tip: We were upstairs and had a nice view of the mountains. It's a two story dwelling.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Sunbeam Motel

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here one night on a roadtrip I took toward the end of Oct. 2013. These are basic motel accomodations. Plus: there is a small refrigerator and a small microwave in the room (I was in room 7), in addition to the standard coffee maker and hair dryer. Staff was very friendly, even giving me some tokens for the trolley that goes down to the Farmer's Market. If you don't want a big breakfast in the morning, they offer some packaged danish in the office. The bed was too hard for my taste, but that seems to be true even in pricey hotels (I like soft beds!). The pillows were also hard, and I woke up with a sore neck. There was quite a bit of street noise, but it disappeared when I closed the windows and turned on the fan. I would definitely stay here again, as I believe it is a good value for the price... I'd probably bring my own pillow next time though!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 19yowzer92
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Motel is 15-20 mins stroll from the centre of town and has FREE WIFI! Check in is in a tiny room at the front of the motel - it was quick, however. Parking is free and ourside the rooms. We had room 12 on the ground floor at the rear of the motel - room was quite large with 2 queen beds in it. It had a wall mounted A/C, decent sized fridge, microwave and large flatscreen TV. There was also plenty of storage both hanging and drawer. It also had a wash basin and mirror. You have to get a hairdryer from the front desk.
Toilet had a bath/shower - it was smallish but perfectly OK. Hotel offered a "mini" - coffee/cakes for free, however, we walked down to "Splash" a great bakery 5 mins down the road.

Motel is a bit tired and could do with a face lift BUT it was perfectly adequate for our needs on this short stop over. Location was good for accessing downtown and the bars/restaurants and I thought it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor as we could hear the other guest climbing the wooden stairs and creak...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was helped be a friendly manager to check in. We were downstairs at the back in room 12. It had all the basics and seemed clean. Fridge, microwave, hairdrier, flat tv, coffee maker, two queen beds and room for our bikes. Nothing really wrong with the place, it just felt like the last update was in the 80's.
But, oh yah, the bed...I have decided, after this trip, my first priority in finding hotel rooms in the future, is a good bed. Yes, price is still important to me...but not worth lack of sleep. So, if you are not a hard bed fan, at least avoid room 12, and bring your own pillow.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a road trip on October 1, 2013. Very easy to find, quaint, clean, nothing fancy and very inexpensive. Walking distance to downtown. Very friendly staff. This motel is a great value for what you are spending. We are very happy and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 14 September 2013

It was the cheapest hotel I've stayed on my californian trip. However, it was also the most uncomfortable (and I stayed in a lot of motels). Room was dim, carpets and heavy curtains gave it a really dusty feel (I can't really say it was dirty, but for me it felt uncomfortable), furniture was dated. Owners were very friendly, I'll give you that! And location is on a street full of motels, 10 min walk from the centre. So I guess with some emodeling it can turn into something good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Ok, this place may not look the best but it's really worth to stay here. The interior looks a bit old fashioned but thats happens a lot in californian motels. The bed was very comfortable though. We had a great night of sleep and the shower was good too. Its just a cheap, clean, nice place. We were staying in room 10, other guests had already posted some pictures of it on tripadvisor its a nice room. The guy at the office was very friendly. Its would have been nice if they would serve breakfast but there are enough nice places to go in the area. We went to Splash and would recommend it.
As we were in SLO on a thursday the farmers market was downtown, it was nice to see. The whole town seems to go to this market. There is a lot of food, we saw a lot of people waiting in line to get a box of barbecued meat :) SLO was a nice place to visit and stay for a night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple