“Lovely evening”

Price range: US$10 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Monterey Street
Description: Located in the heart of downtown SLO next to the historic Mission Plaza, Luna Red is a lively gathering spot that features a Latin inspired menu of handcrafted plates, craft cocktails and an award-winning global wine. Luna Red's focus celebrates using local, seasonal ingredients and a lively late night music scene. On the weekends enjoy Brunch on both Saturday and Sunday starting at 9:00 am.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Sat outside, no wait at 8pm on a Saturday night. The lamb kabobs were a bit fatty. The clam and bacon flatbed was wonderful as were the calamari. The grilled lettuce was good. French 75 very tasty. And the warn olive oil cake amazing. All and all a nice evening. I'd come back.

There are newer reviews for Luna Red

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We enjoy tapas restaurants because you can order a wide variety of small dishes and share around the table. This restaurant had a number of creative dishes in addition to the traditional Spanish tapas; I especially enjoyed the tartine with jamon serrano ham, nectarines, arugula, and goat cheese. The service was very good, and the location near the river is nice.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went here on a date on the 4th of July. The regular outdoor seating had a wait, so we sat at the bar. We ordered crab ravioli, which were homemade pasta, and the zucchini/hummus flatbread and fried chickpeas for me. The dishes were small, which you'd expect from tapas, but quite expensive for what it was in my opinion.

The service didn't wow me. We were at the outdoor bar and the bartenders were chatting loudly to each other and their friends that passed by on the street, and it was hard to carry on a conversation of our own. The biggest blunder was that his dish came out more than 10 minutes before mine. He waited for a while, until I insisted that he eat. It was really awkward even for us so I can't imagine what that would be like for a first date or a new couple.

Nice that it is situated next to the mission and near the main drag.

1  Thank LiaKer
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After reading many reviews we decided to try it. A little disappointed. This easily could be a five star restaurant with a little help by the owners and managers. On the nigh we visited ( a Monday) the kitchen was out of sync……..
We were promptly seated and waiter came right over. We decided on a picture of Sangria. Nothing special.
We decided ahead of time to ordered tapas for dinner. We ordered six and it was hit and miss. We started with a cheese and meat tray with pate, fig jam, pickled veggies, etc. Delicious! Next butter lettuce, each leaf was dressed! Blue crab hushpuppies so so, not impressed. Local lamb chops, yuk, way too much cumin. Could not eat! Tray of pickled veggies was very good.
Staff was very pleasant especially the young lady who assisted the waiter. The waiter tried his best but the kitchen just would not cooperate!
Luna Red has a great atmosphere that I would recommend for a nice sit-down meal, indoors or out on the patio.

1  Thank bakodon
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My granddaughter lives in SLO and is a big fan of Luna Red's. After going there for the first time with her I can understand why. We went during happy hour when a wide selection of tapas were $5 each. My most favorite item was the roasted beet salad - it was so delicious! There's a wide variety of foods on the menu - something to appeal to everyone. I like the idea of tapas as it allows a person to try a wider variety of food without getting stuffed. Don't get me wrong - I had three different choices and servings were ample! Service was good and atmosphere was warm and cozy. A nice place to relax and visit with family and friends. I will be going back!