“Delicious!!”

Price range: US$10 - US$18
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Monterey Street
Description: Located in the heart of downtown SLO next to the historic Mission Plaza, Luna Red is a lively gathering spot that features a Latin inspired menu of handcrafted plates, craft cocktails and an award-winning global wine. Luna Red's focus celebrates using local, seasonal ingredients and a lively late night music scene. On the weekends enjoy Brunch on both Saturday and Sunday starting at 9:00 am.
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I are visiting from Canada for 2 weeks. We are halfway through our vacation and this was the best food we've had yet!! Fresh, and bursting with flavour! We will go back again before our vacation is over! :) We highly recommend this place.

• Visited August 2014

Madera, California
“Dog Friendly”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband, our dogs, and I took a day trip to SLO. We researched ahead of time an eating venue that had Gluten free optiona and was dog friendly. Luna Red fit the bill. The food was good, server were friendly, and they were super great to our girls, even bringing a dog water dish to our patio table. We will be going back next time we are in town.

• Visited August 2014
Berkeley, California
“Great experience”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had a delightful experience at LunaRed. The service was excellent and attentive, and the food was excellent. I enjoyed the raw oysters, served with two different dipping sauces, the bacon wrapped dates, and a wonderful fresh salad as my final dish. I also had a half glass of the Venato Pinot Grigio, the featured wine. I appreciated having the option of ordering a half glass, as I do not drink a lot of wine, but certainly enjoy having a small portion with my meal. I sat on the patio on a beautiful evening, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank happysinger
San Francisco, California
“Delicious and Unique Food Combinations”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We loved the menu at this friendly tapa restaurant and the tastes delivered. The heirloom tomato salad with pistachio vinaigrette, burrata cheese and purslane made the most of in season ingredients. It was delightful as was the grilled heart of romaine with blue cheese and a balsamic reduction. The flavors were so well balanced. We also really enjoyed the flatbread of braised pork piperade, sheep gouda and cilantro. The meat was moist and tender on the freshly baked bread. The lamb loin kabobs were good but not as stellar as the other items we chose. We selected from a list that included imports as well as local wines a very nice bottle of Turley Zinfandel. The patio dining was perfect to enjoy the warm evening weather. The only downside for us was a waitperson who, while acting very friendly, was mechanical in all communications. The information provided sounded like a script delivered by a poor actor. I understand explaining the menu in detail because many diners have never tried tapas, but I do not appreciate being told what the waitperson likes unless I ask for that information. Also, I do not care to be asked with each dish, "How is the food working for you?" I enjoy attentive service but this bordered on obtrusive. The waitperson kept this meal a four star rather than a five star as the food deserved.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank PPP68
Tracy, CA
“Great flavors!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I went here for lunch after doing some wine tasting. We got there around lunch time and had to wait 10 minutes for a table. There were plenty of tables available on the patio, but it seemed that service was a bit slow. I do want to note that one of the staff came by and made sure we had water, even though we weren't seated. It was a HOT day!

Once seated, our server came to take our drink orders and told us about the menu. It took quite a bit of time for our drinks to show up, but the same staff member I mentioned earlier, made sure we had fresh water. My husband ordered the lamb kabobs and a small salad. I ordered the skirt steak tacos and a small salad.

It seemed to take a great deal of time to have our lunches served. Also, when they say "small plates", they mean it! My husband had 2 half-sized kabobs of lamb. I had 2 miniature tacos and a tiny cup of black beans. The food was excellent, cooked perfectly, but I don't feel the cost was justified. Also, our server was not very attentive. I never got a refill of my iced tea and as I said before, it was HOT!

All in all, we liked the flavors. Everything was cooked very well, but you don't get much for what you pay. Our bill was $40 for lunch and 1 beer. That's a bit steep, especially since we had to go back to our hotel and snack on some cheese and crackers we had purchased.

• Visited July 2014