“Great hike with great views”

Reservoir Canyon Trail
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Starts just off the freeway with a slight walk to a waterfall. Then wander on a relatively flat hike for a short time - then the hike begins. It's a fairly steep climb but you are rewarded with amazing views of SLO, the coast, Edna Valley and the hills.

6  Thank Kathleen M

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Love this trail! I've done it at least once each season. It's challenging and it covers about 3 different settings. It starts with a small waterfall and you hike along the streams that feed it until you start climbing up switchbacks in the trees. It then opens up to a grass field (on an incline of course) with "sculptures" about and a swing that hangs from a tall tree. From there you head up up up to the top where the lands transforms into desert like terrain. At the top it levels off to another field of grass. Up and down it takes about 2 hours if you hike 2 miles per hour. Right off the 101 north before the grade. Be sure to pack out your trash, some of the land is private and we like to hike it!

7  Thank hikingbee
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This trail winds it's way along a creek and through the trees, affording absolutely awesome views of the surrounding hillsides. It is a great hike on a hot day since a lot of the trail is shaded. Your first option is to decide if you want to hit the waterfall first or do the trail. The waterfall is very close to the small parking area; perhaps a few hundred yards. This is reportedly SLO's largest waterfall and there is a "wet" cave next to it. This is a great photo op. When you finally decide to wind up the trail, you will have "isues" finding the crossover of the stream, but keep a keen eye out as you are on a wide, flat trail (rock formations to your left), for a dirt trail on your right hand side that snakes downward to the stream, which you can see from the main trail. It is the only dirt trail you will find that is a branch off the main trail. Once you make this transition, you will be on the opposite side of the stream from where you started, and then you are good to go on and up. You will meander around and end up at a very strange area with "folk art" sculptures in the middle of nowhere, along with a tree swing and a book to write your notes in. If you decide to continue, the trail will continue past these objects (do not turn directly towards the hills behind the swing, but rather continue through the grass towards the open space). There is no shade from this point to the top. This is where the trail changes and becomes much more steep and heads upward. If you go all the way to the end, you will be rewarded with great views. Hint: There is a ton of poision oak right along the trail edges, so keep your hands and arms to yourself. There are a lot of blackberry bushes, but be careful, since the poison oak is actually mixed in with them, so if you are not careful, you will get your berries and get yourself covered with poision oak in the meantime. Parking can be a bit tough. All in all, a great hike with lots of easy and also more challenging change of terrain.

11  Thank nadojeff
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Me and my fiance decided to try hiking with our 2 dogs. We chose reservoir canyon because of the waterfall we seen in pictures online. The waterfall and river were beautiful and a great way to start off the hike. But then it got ugly. We couldn't seem to find the right trail. We were on the right trail at first then after a while we couldn't tell where the trail continued. We ended up walking through the river. But then the water got too deep. So we decided to turn around and call it a day after about an hour of hiking. On the way back I lost it because I caught sight of a huuuuge black and yellow snake. I had a melt down. We left immediately. We probably got in contact with the snake because we were off track. It was disastrous taking our dogs. They did great, but once we left we noticed they were infested with TICKS. It was bad. I even got bit by a tick, as well as my fiance. I will never take my dogs again. But that was a lesson learned. I wish we could have went with someone familiar with the trail that could have guided us. The waterfall is gorgeous. I wish we could have seen more, but I definitely wont be going back after seeing that big snake. Hiking might not just be my thing. I recommend it if you are an experienced hiker who can navigate yourself well. It was pretty hard for us first timers to stay on the trail.

7  Thank ObsessedTraveler805
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Varied hike through a canyon and then up to a ridge w/ good views of SLO. The top comes slowly. You think you're there, and it moves! Parking was limitted when we went, and the merge back onto the freeway was "interesting".

3  Thank AdventureHiker94087