HI San Luis Obispo
Inn at San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)
US$96
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$170
US$152
  • Breakfast included
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
US$256
US$216
US$165
US$151
US$190
US$169
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$137
Agoda.com
US$164
US$151
Agoda.com
Madonna Inn(San Luis Obispo)
US$253
US$236
US$281
All reviewspancake breakfastamtrak stationslept like a babyliving roomhosteldormguestsobispodowntownslojarredcaliforniaprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My family and I spent three nights at Hostel Obispo during Christmas. Unexpected life events brought us to California. Very good fortune brought us to Hostel Obispo. What could have been a sad and lonely Christmas turned into a warm and inviting Christmas away from home.

Hostel Obispo is situated in a charming neighborhood near downtown San Luis Obispo. It was easy to get around. The hostel was clean and charming. The kitchen and large dining table was a real gathering spot for travelers from all over the world. My family stayed in a family room called Morro Rock. The bedding was clean and the room was small but delightful.

It's been many years since I stayed in a hostel. Hostel Obispo surpassed my best memories from my younger days. Many thanks to owners Jared and Amy for creating such a wonderful home away from home!

Room Tip: Be sure that you understand that a hostel is not a hotel. The dorm accommodations are an exceptionally good value, but they are dormitories. There are rooms that can be reserved privately; be sure to ask about this if you want your own space.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KayCeeShip
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We had a stop-over in San Luis Obispo and stayed at this hostel for one night. At the time it was very quite and it was pretty much just we, a couple of other guests and the staff. It's a small hostel with a home-away-from-home felling to it. Cozy, clean and very nice and helpful staff. I would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sofiabeijer
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Friendly and generally clean. A little more upkeep would make it a 5-star choice. Pancakes were good, and the breakfast setting encourages talk. Bike rental was cheap, but bikes were not in great shape. We'd stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

Quaint house in a suburban street, more like a b&b, just needs a female touch with cleanliness. Short walk to loads of bars and Cafes. Not much to do here but a good place to stop over and chill out. Pancakes for breakfast included.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 11 August 2012

First the pros: The price is pretty cheap ($66 for a private room), the facility is pretty clean in general, the staff were nice, the bed was fine.

The cons: One big one and one small one. The big one: NOISE! My room was right next to the office, and people stood right outside my door talking to each other and having loud phone conversations. Since this was before quiet hours, I didn't feel I had a right to complain. However, twice in the middle of the night that I stayed there, people came in very late (once around midnight and once around 3am) and they didn't seem to care that others might be sleeping. They talked loudly in the common area of the hostel. I don't know if I was the only one woken up, but it was very annoying.

The smaller con is that the shower I originally used (ground floor, to right of front door) was kind of grungy. The shower curtain was disgusting, and I really didn't want to step on the floor, either. Turns out the other bathroom on the main floor is much nicer, but I didn't discover that till later.

All in all I was happy to find such a convenient place at such a reasonable price, but I'd say they need to clean up parts of this place, and also do more about enforcing quiet at night.

Room Tip: The private room by the office turned out to be very loud. If you're on the main floor, choose the bathroom and shower directly across from the front door, not the one to the right.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business