“Mexican Irish!”
Review of Pappy McGregor's Pub - CLOSED

Pappy McGregor's Pub
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill has an atmosphere that blend's Irish and American traditions. Always lively, always fun and always busy, Pappy McGregor's is just the right place for you to have a cold pint, eat a great meal, and meet up with new and old friends. Our executive chefs, brothers Chris & Martin Beckett, have created an extensive menu made up of gastro pub quality items. We strive for every plate to be a work of art that's better than any other typical pub. Our creative menu is made up of comfort food favorites like the Prime Rib Sandwich, Steak & Shrooms, Farm Stand BLTA, Grilled Cheese, and Tomato Bisque. We also feature a wide variety of seafood dishes like the locally famous fried Calamari, Raw Blue Point Oysters, Fresh Halibut & Chips, and Oysters Rockefeller. Our Prime Rib Chili and Lobster Mac and Cheese have both won multiple awards in local food competitions. Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill proudly features fully stocked bars, with more than 150 sprits, imported beer, and an extensive craft beer list. We support our local wineries and feature only local wine from San Luis Obispo Co. Come by for our daily Pappy Hour or join us for our multiple weekly evening specials and events like Pub Trivia Night, Karaoke, and Live Music. Pappy McGregor's always has the big games on with our plenty of TVs you won't miss a second of your favorite team. When you're in uptown San Luis Obispo, stop by Pappy McGregor's Pub & Grill and see why we have been voted Best Bar/Pub for 8 straight years. You won't be disappointed no matter if its food, drink or a good time you are looking for.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The only bar/restaurant within easy walking distance of our hotel, this was a pleasant surprise. Would you believe an Irish pub with a Mexican flavour? That's what this is! Welcoming and helpful staff, who didn’t bat much of an eyelid when we insisted (nicely) on having a table in the main area instead of an empty, cold-looking dining area in the back; they cleared a table for us in the bar area instead.
A shared starter of fried calamares strips was enough for a main meal, then the main courses arrived!
Good American “comfort" food (in the 'solid' American style!), good beer and good local wine, together with a lively ambiance. Perfectly acceptable.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Sat outside on a mild evening. Has a fire pit. Service was very good. Tri tip sandwich with fries very goo. They have a large/nice selection of beers on tap and bottled.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Sunday evening was quiet, which is what we were seeking. The English food menu fit the bill as I wanted fish & chips. My wife had a great burger cooked to her liking. Beer and wine selection was more than adequate. This place is noisy and can be loud on weekends especially. Young crowd.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Pappy McGregor's, in spite of its name, is a reasonably authentic Irish pub. They pour Guinness and Smithwick's and also serve British favorites such as Newcastle and Boddington's. They offer a brief menu filled with lots of interesting fare. I had the lobster mac and cheese. It was very good, well prepared, and generous.

Service was a mixed bag. On my first visit in the afternoon, I encounter a charming, talkative bartender. I enjoyed his company while I quaffed a sud. When I returned with my wife, I was greeted by a hostess who said, "Welcome back." We were then handed off to a busy and disinterested server. Maybe she was just having an off night.

I would recommend giving this joint a try. It's worth it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Excellent food choices, good pricing and husband said the beers on tap are great. They have live music and it wasn't to loud so you could converse with your dinner partner.