“Not Just for Kids”

San Luis Obispo Children's Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Preschool through elementary-age children learn about health, history, safety, science, nature and the arts through a series of innovate hands-on activities and exhibits.
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This place is awesome. I went to take my kids to a birthday party here and was amazed by the cool stuff. It brought out my curious, little kid, and adventuresome spirit. Did I mention that is was well priced, which makes it even cooler. Good fun at a cheap price, can't beat that. And it was a good bonding time with my kids too. If you have kids that have any interest in anything, then you should visit this place.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

This museum is perfect for about 5 and under with many exhibits to explore. The top floor is perfect for very young kids. A great place to go when it's too rainy outside to do anything else and kids 2 and under are free.

2  Thank musicmomie
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Such a pleasure to have something so great available to our kids! Always clean & always great to see the changing calendar.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

They were just completing it the last time I was there. I think it is rather expensive and not very good for children over 5 or 6 years.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

As a former employee at a children's museum, I look for certain qualities in a children's museum. This museum has a lot of great features that is relevant to kids interests. All of the exhibits were updated and interesting to kids. They use technology in some of the exhibits and there is a strong focus on science (fun science that is). My 5 year old who likes to do a lot of hands on activities loved the museum. As parents I was excited to see the modern take on certain physics and chemistry concepts.

The first floor of the museum featured the classic dino dig and microscope objects that is standard at many kids museums. There was a really neat shaking table that taught architecture and gravity concepts that revolves around earthquakes. For kids it was fun to build a small structure and then see how much force is needed to take it down. This is a fun exhibit that parents can work together with their kids.

There was also a bubble making activity where kids stand on a platform in the middle of a giant soap like bubble. I also was pleased to see several activities using magnets. On the second floor there was several pretend activities like a kids sized kitchen, dress up stage with a lot of costumes, there was also a police bike that kids get to sit in and a giant bus and firetruck. On this floor there was a small but very informative outdoor garden. They had miniature apple trees and tomato plants. There were also several herbs and other vegetables that were being grown in old metal crates. The info cards in each pot would be helpful to any parent or adult interested in starting an outdoor garden. I left that area feeling like I could grow a garden without needing a ton of space.

We didn't get to go to the third floor as the day we went there was a school tour and there were a bunch of active kids all over the place. We left earlier than expected because my son felt uncomfortable with so many kids he didn't know. We planned to return later in the day but we got caught up with other activities after we left. The nice thing about admission is what you pay is good for the entire day. You can leave and then come back, something that I have not seen in other museums.

Although our visit was cut short by the school group, we will visit again when we are in the area. The staff was very friendly and even showed my son some of the activities because they could tell he was a little intimidated by the number of school kids.