“Great hospitality and amazing suite”

Granada Hotel and Bistro
Southern Ca
“Great hospitality and amazing suite”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Arrived to find out we were upgraded to a suite after purchasing a deluxe room due to availability which was unexpected but much appreciated. The suite came with a small balcony and large windows overlooking the street in front on the hotel. The room was a little small compared to other suites but was perfectly thought out with above average amenities and a gas fireplace that worked perfectly. The bed was very comfortable and given the location of the suite within the hotel it was very quiet and private as well. The staff could not have been more friendly and helped me with a few requests that were out of the ordinary (I had to print a few items and since they don't have a business center the front desk allowed me to email them a few things so they could print them for me). I've stayed at a few other locations in San Luis Obispo but the Granada was the best by far. I will return again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Oxford,
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This building is not designed to be a hotel. There were odd screeching and banging noises in the room. Strange smell from the fake log fire. If you open the curtains other people can see into your room. Generally too little space. I can understand the brothel theme - since this was once a brothel. Personally I found it inconvenient and not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ProfessorCalculus
Ventura, California
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The Granada Hotel is a wonderful hotel. With only 17 rooms and a common area and patio in the middle. The accomodations were very comfy, the staff is very accomodating and the location can't be beat. In the center of the downtown area, walking distance to everything downtown makes for a delightful get-away. Everything down to the music choice in the bistro was a great experience.

1 Thank Sande W
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My wife and I stayed in Room #13 for three nights in mid-January. We were excited to be among the first guests of this ambitious remodeling project and we were delighted with our stay. As other reviewers have already noted, the vibe is great here, the downtown location is a real plus, the employees are friendly and the Bistro cuisine is wonderful. The rooms are quite small, even our "Suite" felt a little snug. The decor is quite impressive throughout the hotel as are the fire pits in several different areas of the building. As evening approaches, the staff puts out candles in many areas of the second floor, which adds a nice touch to an already-nice place. There is limited parking in a small lot behind the hotel but drivers of larger vehicles may find the very narrow alley that leads to it much too tight a fit. There's freshly brewed coffee in the morning for guests and, although it might have been nice to have some muffins/breakfast pastries to nibble on, there are a lot of good restaurants around that serve up a tasty breakfast. Two slight complaints: the Bistro's wine list is fairly limited (I thought more local wines would be featured) and expensive. When I went to charge dinner to the room, I was more than a little surprised to discover that out waiter had already added a gratuity to the charge. He said it was "Hotel Policy" but I would have appreciated the ability to tip the amount I wanted instead of having it ordained for me. Other than that though, our stay here was quite enjoyable. I noticed a room on the first floor with two massage tables side by side. They looked enticing and maybe we'll have the time to book some massages for our return visit!

3 Thank TravelingManVan
Santa Cruz
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Wonderful, newish boutique hotel in SLO. Great central location, comfortable rooms, free parking, lovely common areas for lounging, rooftop verandah, and a hip, high-quality bistro and lounge adjacent to the lobby. What more could a traveler ask for? REALLY well-executed from start to finish---kudos to the the proprietor for a job well done. Our new favorite place in SLO!

Room Tip: We were in room 15...a $25 upgrade from the base room. We felt the upgrade was very much worth it...
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Wow! Have read all the reviews and Penelope- I truly agree with you. Who envisioned this? AWESOME work! I LOVE this place. Had a Wonderful weekend with family. Have a son at Cal Poly- SO tired of my hotel options there... ugh. This is a breath of fresh air- as though someone read my mind about how to please me for a weekend. There's not enough space to extoll the virtues. The room was awesome, the rooftop terrace- even better- with drinks and appetizers there before heading down for dinner. I'm tempted to keep this all to myself so it won't be flooded with business. I'm being very unselfish here. It is smaller than most American hotels- and I loved that- with attention to detail at every turn- from the entry greeting we received to the art to the architecture to the menu and food served at the bistro, to the rooftop terrace with fireplace to the games and game tables in the "lobby". Oh my gosh- you just have to check it for yourself to see what is true. Btw, Penelope (prior review), you predicted the stars and others would find it and fill it up- I sat next to William Shatner on the terrace. As far as I could tell, everyone there that night couldn't have been more pleased.

Room Tip: we stayed in 14- right outside the outdoor rooftop terrace on a Saturday night- it was absolutely fi...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We spent two nights at the Granada the first week in January. The location is perfect for enjoying downtown San Luis Obispo and the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We found the staff was very helpful and the morning coffee was excellent! Next time I'm in SLO, this is where I'm staying.

1 Thank Benjamin L