“Historical Elegance in Downtown San Luis Obispo”

Granada Hotel and Bistro
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed at the Granada Hotel last December and was completely smitten from the moment I arrived. A beautiful yet discreet destination, it's easy to miss even if you're looking for it. Everyone on staff was friendly and professional, an expert team. My room was large and so tastefully decorated that I kept forgetting I was in a hotel and not the guest bedroom of a wealthy friend! Oh and the shower... water pressure perfected. Located in the middle of downtown, you can walk everywhere. Should you want to do some exploring farther afield, however, the Granada has its own private parking lot, making it easy to slip down the back stairs and get on the highway, which is just a few blocks out of town. Stay. Here. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Myself, a friend a our two teenage daughters stayed here while attending a Cal Poly campus tour.
We loved the atmosphere and location right in the middle of town. The rooms are on the smaller side, and they only have one queen bed. We stayed in room 3 and 4 which had an adjoining balcony with a beautiful fireplace, perfect for a glass of wine in the evening or your morning coffee. I will stay here any time I visit the SLO area!

Room Tip: Room 3 and 4 with an adjoining balcony, if you travel with a friend or with your kids.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2014

After following all the articles and reviews about the Granada since it opened, and wanting to stay there since then, I finally got the opportunity 2 weeks ago. Everything about this place is about relaxed beauty, comfort, and meeting your needs. The decor is eclectic and colorful without being loud. I'd like them to come decorate my house because we have the same aesthetic sense! It's quiet and peaceful and when I went to my room I felt my blood pressure drop 20 points. My first visit and they upgraded me to a suite, which had a balcony overlooking the streets of SLO. Very French. My room, oh my. Every light fixture is unique and has dimmers so you can adjust the mood. I had a fireplace, wonderful! The shower and shower head, where can I get one of those?? The bath amenities were out of this world.. Bigelow peppermint and lavender bath products and wonderfully heavy bath towels. Turndown service at night, they leave you a handwritten note and a sprig of lavender with the lights down low. 2 types of bottled water are in each room and in the morning there is coffee and cream in the private upstairs lounge (think about including decaf?). I used that lounge a lot. I read quite a bit on the large purple velvet sofa, French doors open with a nice breeze coming in. I had dinner brought up one night and ate by the fire, French jazz playing quietly in the background. I did have dinner in the bistro/bar the next night and it was lively without being insane. While housekeeping does begin earlier than I would like, nobody is having any conversation that might disturb you. You might hear water running and doors opening and closing. They have even found the most silent vacuum cleaners on the planet.
Very professional housekeeping staff. Everyone I met who works there really loves their job... the people in the restaurant and Kayleigh, Kathleen, and Lisa who I met at various times at
the desk and around the hotel. It's a small, intimate boutique hotel and is now my new favorite. This place is perfect. I cannot wait to return! After my conversation with Lisa Carnes at checkout, it's going to be soon because I have got to try the ArtBar! This is the ultimate in cool luxe. Give it a go.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We took the train from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo and walked 10 minutes to the Granada Hotel. From the moment we made our reservations to checking us out, the staff was helpful and there didn't appear to be anything the staff wouldn't do for us.

The rooms are wonderful. Even the least expensive rooms are comfortable, accessories perfect and I had the best sleep in months. There's a guest only lounge area and outdoor deck up stairs. Wine and food from the Bistro are a quick phone call away. What a relaxing way to spend the end of fun day.

Since we didn't have a car, the hotel's central location is perfect. Walk out the front door and you are at the Farmer's Market and a short walk to shops, restaurants and the historical district. The hotel even has bicycles for guests to use.

We had a fabulous stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a small room upstairs and it was wonderful. I did notice a room that has a patio with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OgoCinco
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This charming hotel in downtown SLO offers beautiful, artfully decorated and comfortable rooms at a good value. We stayed in room 17, which is ADA-compliant, so is larger than the other rooms in the inn, we were told. I managed to sneak a glimpse at a few other rooms and I can confirm that they are small. So keep in mind if you need a lot of space. Our room was private, but since we were one of the 2 rooms on the ground floor, we could hear footsteps in the rooms above us. Thankfully it was during the daytime, so wasn't an issue. But I think next time we go we'll try to reserve a room on the second floor. On the second floor, there is a lovely fireplace and indoor/outdoor space that is for guests only, and when the bar's open, you can get drink service up there! The hotel also offers guests the use of bicycles, which made it super fun and easy to explore the town. The extremely hipster restaurant does not take reservations - except for hotel guests, so that's an extra perk too. The food was very good, and it seemed like the hot spot in town. Many beautiful people. We will be back.

Room Tip: The 2 ground floor rooms (16 and 17) are in back, away from street, but face the parking lot and are...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

PS this is HOTEL not a B & B and is misclassified by Trip Advisor!

My wife and I have traveled throughout the world and have also been fortunate to have traveled throughout California and in particular in wine country and absolutely love this place.
This is a beautiful hip and amazing downtown hotel in heart of SLO (only one in the area). We usually stay in Paso Robles and have enjoyed our stay there however you cant beat parking your car in the back lot and walking to downtown area and having nice meal, drinking and walking back to the cool Granada Bistro with terrace with heat lamps and sipping some more wonderful wine (they actually have an amazing wine selection .. . .not just from California as we had an amazing Spanish wine from R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia, S.A. kudos to their Sommelier for such an amazing selection!)

Pros: Downtown location, hip vibe with beautiful terrace in restaurant and terrace on 2nd floor which is only open to hotel guests, free parking, amazing friendly service, beautifully appointed rooms which we loved they even have C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries toiletries from NYC (really cool touch!)

Cons: No fault of their own but Thursdays is a Farmers market so the streets are closed off however they called and let us know where we can park and that they would validate the parking at that location (really nice service related touch), there is no elevator but there is only two floors but that might be an issue for mobility impaired individuals (they might have a service elevator that people with those issues might use but I would inquire with hotel staff first as we arent mobiliy impaired) Otherwise no cons from our end!

Cons:

This is absolutely a cool spot . . . the exposed brick and beautiful furnishings and top notch service makes this a great spot to be a base for exploring wine country and one of the best things is you can actually walk to downtown SLO attractions which we loved ! and of course there is a cool bar/restaurant with wonderful wine. You cant lose staying here.

This will now be our go to place in Paso Robles/SLO wine country as we absolutely loved this place!

Room Tip: Get room not facing main street (Morro) as garbage trunk came by in AM and made some noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Traveling down the coast from SF to LA we diverted a few miles inland to SFO for the first time. We choose the Granada (based on location and online reviews) and couldn't have made a better choice. We arrived in the morning on a weekend without a reservation and Lisa ( I believe that was her name, she's from MN) showed us the rooms that were available and checked us in immediately. The rooms are well appointed, clean and most importantly have comfortable beds. Loved the natural exposed brick walls and color scheme. The bathroom had a walk in shower ( I hate tub showers) and the amenities were great. The location is in the heart of downtown SLO and other then going for a couple of hikes out of town we never needed to us our car (free parking).
The décor and choice of colors in the entire establishment really worked. You're cheating yourself if you don't stay here. We're going to make a return trip to the area with the Granada as one of the main reasons for it.
As we never visited SLO before the staff was very helpful with recommendations and directions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple