“Basic, But Much Nicer Than Some Reviews Suggest.”
Review of Los Padres Motel

Los Padres Motel
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I think a lot of the negative reviews stem from people who paid high prices on some "special" Cal Poly weekend and/or who are used to more Four-Seasons-y accomodation. I use tripadvisor a lot to find basic, non-chain motels and hotels when I am road-tripping. For that purpose, this place was great. I stayed here for one night when there was nothing special going on at the University. Walked in, got a great price (lower than online) and a nice room. There were some spots that could use fresh paint and the like, but it was clean and smelled good and comfortable. Guy at front desk (owner I think) was very nice and easy to deal with. Most important it was comfortable walking distance to food, downtown and the like. And per previous reviews there is a good, comfortable coffee shop next door so the morning caffeine fix has been easy. I'd probably be less positive too if I'd paid $200 for the room, but I paid less than $100 and it was a good deal on that basis.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank wbsk

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Drove in late and were given a nice room at a great rate. We were delighted to wake up and find a lovely town with good shops and cafés within easy reach and so had a tasty bagel and good cup of leaf tea under the orange tree in the courtyard/car park of the motel. Friendly, accommodating staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurence and Br... C
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stopped into San Luis Obispo without a reservation on our way south to Anaheim. Worst thing was it was parents weekend at Cal Poly and most hotel rooms were booked. We checked at the Holiday Inn because TripAdvisor app said there were rooms for $119 but when we got there they only had one room for $191. We moved on. Los Padres showed vacancies on TripAdvisor app and when we stopped it was $10 less so we stayed. Room was old and small, but we slept well and it was walking distance to a beautiful downtown. Only stayed one night. I'd stay again but only if we couldn't find other choices.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fireplaces
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The motel is definitely older but I knew that going in. This establishment is pretty close to the 101 so getting in and out wasn't a problem. Plus, there are many restaurants that are easily accessible by walking so I think this place was good for a short visit.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank valleyg
Reviewed 27 October 2013

OMG. By far the worst motel I've ever seen. Based on the earlier review we booked here. So overpriced for such a crappy place. Dirty, run down, noisy, paper thin walls, disgusting bathroom. Do not book and waste your money.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Room was small but plenty for me by myself. Within walking distance of some nice restaurants. Car ports made me feel secure because vehicle isn't visible from road. Shower heads were only about shoulder height but I'm pretty tall.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 2 October 2013

"Slo" as the Californians call this gem of a town--not referring to anything negative about it, but it is easier to say! It is my very favourite corner of the world. Fantastic beach. I well remember the huge fireplace on a wet and windy day, and the great, friendly service by the staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple