“Decent wines”

Niven Family Wine Estates
More attraction details
Owner description: The Baileyana, Tangent & True Myth Tasting Room pours all of the Niven Family wines! Located in the beautiful Edna Valley, it is the result of almost 45 years of work by a single family, starting when Catharine and Jack Niven first planted grapes here in 1973, founding Paragon Vineyards. Today, the business is operated by second and third generation family members and has grown to include over 30 different wines under five separate labels: Baileyana, Tangent & True Myth are the three most important labels and we also produce smaller production volumes under the Zocker and Trenza labels. All these wines are poured at our tasting room located in the historic Independence Schoolhouse, built in 1909. The current building includes some of the original windows, siding and floorboards, preserving history while adding to a uniquely attractive setting for the tasting room and extensive gift shop. Surrounding the tasting room are expansive picnic areas with stunning views of our SIP-Certified Estate Paragon Vineyard. Two full-size Bocce courts are available for your use, or just sit and enjoy the views of the vines across the valley to the mountains. Wine is available by the glass or bottle to enjoy onsite together with a small selection of cheese, salami and crackers - or bring your own picnic and spend a couple of hours here!
Tracy, CA
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Decent wines”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were greeted by a staff member who was very knowledgeable about the wines. There are several labels here and she was able to tell us how each one was different. We tried 6 different wines and found them to be good, but perhaps not our favorite. We did buy a pinot, which the region is known for, that we truly enjoyed. This would be a great place to bring a picnic and relax. Also, they have some great gift items if you want to peruse their extensive gift area.

California
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great Boutique Winery in SLO”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We visited the area and wanted a small boutique winery that avoids the glitz of the big "Paso" producers with great wine...Baileyana was perfect. This is on the SLO wine trail, not far from the SLO airport. We do not normally enjoy Pinot Noir, but Baileyana made a couple of very nice options for us. Their Albarino is amazing...do not miss this wine!

2 Thank CDBCDB
Lompoc, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great wines”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First of all, I've been a club member for about 1 1/2 years. This location is historical as an old one room school house. They do nice pick up parties for the members - food, new releases and other fun people. I also like their different labels carried about 4 or so. This way you get to try a lot of different styles and varietals. Many of the people working here are attending Cal Poly and know a thing or two about wine. We will return soon!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Adrienne S
San Diego, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“wine tasting”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We packed a picnic lunch and spent the afternoon relaxing and wine tasting. We almost missed it. Well worth the drive about 20 minutes from SLO

1 Thank McK5nz
Pismo Beach, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Expensive for Groups”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I emailed to make a group reservation since it says on their web site that you must have a reservation for groups. We were a group of teachers coming on the SLO Safe Ride school bus limo so we thought the school house winery would be perfect. I waited over a week and never hear back. I called to check and they weren't sure why no one had ever emailed me back. They said I had to pay in full (nonrefundable) and since it was a group we had to do the $12 reserve tasting instead of the $8 tasting that is listed on their web site. I asked if we could just buy bottles to drink and she said no. Everyone in the group would have to taste. I wasn't exactly sure how many I would have in my group, so they agreed to call me two days before the event and get my credit card info. Once again, I didn't hear back. I called again, but the person I needed to give the info to was not there. Later, I finally got a call back and got it taken care of. When we got there, we were taken outside. The school house is really cute and the scenery is beautiful. We were given 5 very small tasting. All five of them probably didn't add up to one glass of wine. The wines were pretty inexpensive too so I don't think it was worth $12. We thought we might get to keep the glass for that price, but no. It would have been much nicer if we could have just bought some bottles and sat outside sipping them. This is a nice place for two or three people, but you can do better if you are in a group.

Visited June 2014