“Another solid Courtyard”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Another solid Courtyard”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I recently stayed there 4 nights on business. Good location as it's right next to 101 and the backdrop of the hotel are the large hills behind it. The rooms are solid, the staff is very nice. The waitress that served me Thursday night was particularly great.
The room layout was to my liking, as it was slightly different than other Courtyards I've stayed at. Interestingly, I didn't hear anything from the adjacent rooms, beyond doors shutting. I've found a lot of Marriott hotels that I've been staying at lately have problems with being able to hear virtually everything happening in the adjacent rooms. I was quite pleased to discover this.
The only knock I can have on the place is the room had a slight odor to it. Nothing that drove me to call about it, but a wiff of must.

If I'm back in SLO for business again, I'd stay here again. The boutique hotels just don't seem to be worth it (at face value).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Khasimir,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and our TripAdvisor readers; we appreciate it! I am very pleased to hear that you had a nice and quiet stay with us, and we are glad that you chose to stay with us during your visit to San Luis Obispo. We are honored that you plan to return to our hotel on your next trip to our cute little town, and we hope to see you again soon. Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I'm a Marriott Gold Member so I get little extras. They gave me a bottle of water and a granola bar as a welcome gift. Thanked me for my business. Staff was always friendly and ready to serve. Rooms are quality clean and they have a mini fridge and sm microwave. I've used their marketplace to buy soups and nuked them in my room. Very needed when restaurant is closed for the night. I wished they had popcorn to microwave but no luck. On the morning I left there was a dozen or more horses grazing just off the property. Very beautiful, sorry I didn't snap a picture. Enjoyed my quick 2 night stay.

• Stayed May 2013
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Neil P,

As an honored Marriott Gold Member, thank you so much for your loyalty, and the valued comment in regards to your stay; we appreciate it! You put in your time with Marriott hotels, and we love to acknowledge that during your stays with us, thank you. I am glad you were able to use some of our amenities, and is it so nice to hear that our staff and service is noticed as doing a job well done; we try! Thank you for sharing your experience, as well as for your loyalty with us, and we hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Beautiful setting & spotless inside and out. Located on the outskirts of San Luis Obispo, this is the best hotel to happen to this city in a long time. (For years there were just a bunch of crummy little motels there.) Situated in green, peaceful surroundings. Every staff member we encountered was helpful, efficient, and pleasant. Room was nice, but nothing special; a King, but on the small side. Jacuzzi and pool were quiet and lovely. Swallows overhead and peace in every direction. Truly relaxing. We had the breakfast buffet only once, which seemed overpriced for what we got, but it was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the jacuzzi tub suites if you want some room to move around. Our regular King was pr...
Green Features: VERY much appreciated that there was a blue recyle trash can in the room. Finally!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Carol S,

We really appreciate your wonderful comment about your relaxing stay with us, thank you very much! We take a lot of pride in our hotel, staff and town, and it is so pleasing to hear our guests experiences. As a perfect stop on your way up North from L.A., we hope to see you again soon. Thank you for staying with us!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed here for one night on a scenic drive between southern and northern CA, and this seemed like a convenient place to spend the night. It turned out to be an excellent choice. I've stayed in a few other places in SLO, and this was by far the best.

What I particularly liked about this Courtyard is the location. Although the hotel is very close to the freeway interchange, it is NOT located directly beside the freeway. As a result, one does not get the traffic noise which is so common at similar hotels. In fact, we asked for a room on the back side, which gave a view of the sun setting behind some hills directly behind the hotel. Another convenience factor is the presence of a New Frontiers market about a 2-minute drive from the hotel. This store is very similar to a Whole Foods, and has a great salad bar and hot food bar if you prefer to eat a light supper in your hotel room, as we often do.

The hotel itself is fairly new, in excellent condition, and very clean and comfortable. Our room had both a refrigerator (to keep your Chardonnay cold) and a microwave. Rates were high, but I felt that the stay was sufficiently pleasant to make them justifiable. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear of the hotel, overlooking the hills
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear majorswede,

Coming from a TripAdvisor Top Contributor as yourself, we really honor your 5-star rating regarding your last stay with us; thank you! We are so pleased to hear you love our location as much as we do! It's hard to beat our beautiful hillside views with horses wandering through the grass areas, and you’re right, I love New Frontiers; they have the best salad bar in town! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon. Take care, and thank you for sharing your experience!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I do a lot of business travel and use Marriott whenever I can since I have a rewards membership with them. This time though, I was seriously disappointed. My room smelled like body odor and was always humid and muggy. Overall, it was a very unpleasant condition to sleep in. There was nothing wrong with the hotel itself. The lobby, the service, and the exterior were all still classic Marriott style. I did notice a few strange quarks like, the stairs are nowhere near the elevator or the front entrance, so if you prefer to take the stairs for exercise or convenience, be prepared to make a little extra effort. All of the rooms that overlook the court yard also overlook the pool so you have to deal with slight chlorine smells and the sounds of splashing until it closes at 10:00PM. The breakfast service was extraordinarily slow considering its a serve yourself buffet. I finished my entire breakfast before a server even came by to see if I needed anything to drink (which is not part of the buffet) and I still had to flag her down to get water. On the plus side, the food was very good for a buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jbskibum
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear jobskibum,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to review your stay. I really appreciate the positive and constructive comments, and I will make sure that we note these issues moving forward. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again! Kind Regards, The CY SLO Management Team.
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the location twice and enjoyed both times. My comments here are a blend of both trips.

A benefit of the Courtyard brand is consistency in style and amenities. This location is no exception, an excellent example of the best and latest brand hallmarks. The trademark courtyard is well designed to screen views of the nearby highway and show only the beautiful hills. A great place to relax by the pool.

The location is a bit outside town, but only a short drive to the University, downtown or the shore. A grocery store is just over the highway. I am very familiar with the community and find it a convenient location.

The site staff is friendly and helpful, taking great pride in the property and their community. Everyone was very pleasant. I feel this has to reflect good management leadership and training, which then affects all the aspects of the property.

I have eaten here on my previous stay two years ago, the food meets expectations for a hotel breakfast, good quality, convenient, reasonable price.

The overall prices are a bit high,but are consistent with other Central Coast properties with similar amenities. I give this hotel five stars since the property meets expectations, but the staff really excels. I will return here again when business takes me to SLO.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Specmonkey,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave such wonderful comments about your two visits to our hotel; thank you! Our staff does take great pride in working for our hotel, and I am so please that you noticed that during your visits. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for sharing your experiences!
Fresno, California, United States
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before moving on to the pismo beach area. The hotel is very nice and well kept. It had a restaurant, bar, pool and hot tub. I got a good deal on Priceline. The staff was courteous and the rooms were updated with granite and such. I would definitely stay there again. The only concern I had was when I checked out, the front desk woman would loudly say, 'so you booked on Priceline so your all set.' I heard her say it to a few people and thought she could use more discretion about how people reserve their rooms or if they use a coupon.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank nancypw
FOM-ARC, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear nancypw,

We are so happy that you chose to stay with us for your visit to San Luis Obispo, and thanks for leaving such a wonderful comment and score. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and I have followed up with my staff in regards to your checkout experience; I apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks again for staying with us, and we look forward to your next visit!