“Exceeded expectations”

Courtyard San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at this courtyard on our way somewhere else, and we arrived late at night on Christmas. A very kind woman checked us in, and she was like a mama making us feel right at home. Her personal hospitality and concern for our comfort exceeded our expectations. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathrooms were nice and large. The free coffee in the lobby was even very tasty!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear mirvmire1227,

I am so please to hear how wonderful our front desk staff welcomed you to our property. I know exactly who you are referring to and will pass on your lovely complements to her. Our goal at the front desk is to always exceed our guests’ expectations and I am always overjoyed to hear when we meet such a goal. Thank you for your wonderful comments and I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Lovely property; clean; large, quiet rooms with usual Marriott amenities. Friendly front desk; inviting work stations in the lobby with fireplace; good gym with individual TVs; headsets provided. Refrig. in every room. Near shopping and wineries.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear srir8286,

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. Our amenities and available facilities really add to our guests’ experience as well as our friendly staff and natural scenery that surrounds our property. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I hope you return again soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great hotel. Very nice staff. Rooms were big and beds were comfy. Delicious homemade cookies too! I like the location as a central point for taking day trips to the beach mountains or countryside. We stay here at least once a year. Close to downtown as well.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the hillside.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Marabobara,
Thank you so much for your kind remarks! And yes, our cookies are very delicious. We are so lucky to be near everything that the central coast has to offer including the beach, hiking trails, downtown, and local wineries. I am glad to hear our staff makes you feel welcome when you come to visit the area every year. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

A great place to stay after the riggors of our journey down Route 1 this hotel was almost an oasis in our eyes.
In the quirkiness of the west coast and California our massive suite had the biggest love heart bath tub on a raised stage on one side of the room.

But in no way did it detract form the quality of the rest of the suite which was very much top notch!

Loved the stay here, it's in a perfect location and if we pass this way again, we'll stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear WonderingBrit,

I am glad to know you found our property refreshing and relaxing after your travels down Route 1. Our suites are spacious with some facing our delightful courtyard interior. Please come back to see us again soon and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I am a faithful Marriott user as I have been devoted for over 7 years and timeshare owner. It saddens me to have to review and share with prospective patrons of this particular Courtyard Marriott to not stay ever at this location. My bathtub had black mold along the tile grout along the edge of the tub in addition to having a plugged bath tub and showering in 5 inches of water. I reported the issue the next morning to the front desk staff with no acknowledgement to the lack of cleanliness of the bathtub but stating, "what room are you in? We will get maintenance to your room." I later called and left a message for Doug the GM. Doug called and left a message to state the plugged bathtub and mold have been taken care of and to return his call to discuss more of my experience at the front desk. Upon check out today I had an opportunity to speak with Doug. Doug apologized and stated my observations of the front desk employee were more than likely accurate as the gentleman I spoke with is normally not at the front desk. My wonder is if he was dressed in the appropriate attire and not as the restaurant staff or maintenance, what am I the customer to assume? I shared my concern not so much the lack of acknowledgement or empathy by the front desk employee but more of the question of how often or was even the bathtub cleaned as black mold does not grow in a day or 2 days but multiple days of lack of cleaning product touching the tub and tile grout. I was shocked and appalled when Doug the GM stated "oh no the black mold was not due to lack of cleaning. Mold appears ma'am when the water settles and it was not wiped and that is why the mold appeared." Once again no accountability, and the GM Doug must realize if he has done any cleaning in his own home, if you are cleaning your bathtub and tile with cleaner then mold does not grow. It is only when there is not thorough cleaning when mold appears. I will no longer be using this Courtyard Marriott and will instead drive 20 miles further to the Paso Robles Courtyard Marriott. Future patrons do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay at this establishment as you will wonder if cleaning is being done or not in your room.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Traci N
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Traci N,

We want to thank you for being a loyal Marriott customer and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to correct your concerns during your stay. We are saddened by the fact that a loyal customer like yourself, who has stayed with us 16 times over the past three years, is not only dissatisfied, but is also unwilling to return over one isolated incident. Your concerns were taken very seriously and resolved immediately with fervent accountability; as mentioned in your review, the GM was apologetic and later called to further apologize and to inform you that the problem had been resolved. To the defense of the front desk person, he was dressed appropriately – as a sales director. We have a team philosophy in place whereby members may step into other roles so guests don’t have to wait – thank you for noting that. We are very sorry that an immediate resolution was not enough to keep a loyal guest satisfied and it is with great hope that we see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

A nice looking Courtyard with average rooms for this chain. We prefrer top floor and were on the third. The room was stuff and the a/c very loud, so the windows had to be open. We overlooked the spa and had noise from that as well aqs the fact that the hotel blasted music in the pool area from 8am until 10pm. It got tiresome quite quickly.

Breakfast area was small, but pleasant. The cost was reasonable, and the quality slightly higher than the other Marriott chains that offer it free.

The hotel was convienient to the surrounding attractions such as beach, Hurst Castle, Wineries and SLO itself.

If we return we will deffinately want a room overlooking the back and horse pastures rather than the pool/spa.

Room Tip: Avoid any room overlooking the pool/spa unless you enjoy music from 8am until 10pm.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deryck60

Dear Deryck60,
Thank you for your comments. We always look forward to hearing from our guests. Our hillside view of the horse pasture is lovely and a high demand location, especially on the third floor. I am sorry for the inconveniences you experience and hope that your next stay with us is more enjoyable.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We arrived at 7:30am after flying all night with a toddler. We were extremely tired and decided to see if there was a chance we could check in early. We had reserved two rooms. We were in luck one of them was ready. I was hoping to get our second room nearby. They managed to hold the one right next door for us.The woman at the front desk, Lisa was so helpful and friendly. I can't tell you how happy we were to get in that room and sleep! Our room was just right, not too fancy, not too plain. It was clean and comfortable. We got a lower rate because we were part of a wedding party that had blocked off rooms. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martinibird

Dear Martinibird,
What lovely comments to hear! I will be sure to let Lisa know how much you enjoyed her service. We do our best to accommodate our guests including reserving rooms next to or nearby one another upon request. I hope you enjoyed yourself at the wedding and I’m glad your stay with us was comfortable, relaxing and just what you needed. We hope to see you again when you are in the area.