“Average Courtyard Off The 101 But Front Desk Could Be Nicer”

Courtyard San Luis Obispo
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 April 2014

As a Platinum Marriott member I stay in Courtyards frequently and normally I am impressed with the level of customer service they provide. On a very recent 2 night stay at this property I have a somewhat mixed review to share.
We arrived on Sunday afternoon and walked up to the front desk to check in. There was nobody around. After about 10 minutes standing there, two young ladies emerged from the back office. There was no greeting, no welcome, no smile. The woman who actually checked us in seemed bored and disinterested. I told her my name and she stared into her screen looking like she couldn't find my reservation but never verified the spelling. I finally spelled it out for her and she found it. She then realized I am Platinum with Marriott and mechanically recited the typical checklist. I am not overly critical but the first impression of any hotel is the front desk and both my wife and I felt like this got off to a bad start and I was questioning my choice before I even hit the elevator.
The room was comfortable and clean as I've come to expect from Marriott. There is plenty of free parking on site. The location is very good to access both SLO and Montana de Oro State Park. There is coffee in the lobby in the morning and the breakfast buffet was nice. In fact the people at the cafe for breakfast were the polar opposite of what we experienced at check in. They were friendly ,welcoming and smiling the whole time.
I would stay here again because I am loyal to the brand and like the points but I would advise the management to have a talk with the front desk staff and let them know that first impressions matter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear bccarb,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I have to admit that this is definitely out of character for our front desk. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and striving to exceed our guest needs/requests. I will be sharing your comments with my staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our property and the many amenities we have to offer. We greatly appreciate the feedback and hope that we will see you again soon. I would really like the opportunity to get a second chance at making a great impression on you and discussing this matter further. If you are open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached directly with the hotel’s main number.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I previously reviewed but had to follow up. Upon returning home, realized we didn't have our $300 headphones, likely left in the work out room. They were found!! The head housekeeper and Trianna, the front desk supervisor, were extremely delighted to share this good news with us and will send them to us right away. We're beyond grateful!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear srir8286,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am glad you received your lost headphones. We make it a priority to serve our guest in every way possible including returning lost items. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Was able to make a reservation with little advance notice for a mid-week one night stay. Everyone was professional, friendly and welcoming. They graciously upgraded our room which is always nice. Clean, updated room with very comfy bedding and all amenities. Hotel is handy to the #101 Freeway but not noisy at all. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear bud9845,

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear our staff described as “professional, friendly and welcoming.” We strive for excellence when it comes to customer service and meeting the needs of our guests. I am glad you will be joining us again on a future visit. We look forward to serving you once more!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Fairly new property, well maintained, slick staff. Everything runs like clockwork and a guaranteed good night sleep. Staff serving breakfast were so friendly felt like a family run hotel. Check in process so easy and quick

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Abelina,

How nice of you to say! “Family run hotel” is what we love to hear. Our staff prides themselves on the service they provide to our guests and we like to think of our team as a family happy to serve. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. If you are ever in San Luis Obispo again we would love to have you stay with us!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Rooms are nice size and very clean the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the location is the only thing that I can be "improved". As a business traveler I will most likely give this hotel another visit in the bear future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Michel D,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott in San Luis Obispo. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and even more pleased to hear our staff met and exceeded your expectations. It is our highest priority that our guests feel appreciated, welcomed and accommodated. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Beautiful property. Friendly front desk. Complimentary papers, coffee, etc. Convenient location to highway n airport. Food store n trader Joes nearby. Clean. Sunbeam iron was made for a guy n simple to figure out how to operate. Only issue was pesky wi-fi that was either slow or kept dropping.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Remi_Bordelon, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear James W,

Thank you for your comments! It is always great to hear how helpful and friendly our staff treat our guests and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. You are correct that we provide quite a few amenities to our guests including: coffee, tea, newspapers, cookies at check-in, business center with free printing, free wifi, fitness center, laundry facility, etc. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here for one night on my way from San Francisco to San Diego via California 1. Our family, four people, booked an one bedroom suite. The room was quite, clean, spacious, plus the outdoor pool and spa (a little too small), we all got good rest. And the staff was very helpful as well.
The only glitch was that when we got there around 4:30pm, the room was still not ready, and we had to wait for about 30mins in the lobby.

Room Tip: Try to get a even number room. They face pool/garden and quiter