“Nice clean friendly getaway!”

Courtyard San Luis Obispo
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Ynez, California
“Nice clean friendly getaway!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We had a wedding to attend and this was the recommended hotel! From the reservation to check out every staff member was helpful and friendly. We really appreciated the microwave and refrigerator in our room and the easy access to the freeway. We know the area and had no trouble even tho the location is not downtown we found it convenient and in a great central spot for the events we needed to attend! The cookies at checking were a warm and welcome surprise! The only downer was the difficulty finding a parking spot when we returned late Saturday night. Oh well. Everything else was just great! Thank you Marriott !

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Treyana_Beals, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Poorkahana,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel regarding your stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the amentities provided in each guest room. Please choose us again if you ever come back to this area. We would love to have you again.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Longport, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel has a great staff. The front desk manager, Treyana Beales went out of her way to help with my reservation. She truly made this a wonderful stay. It is a standard Courtyard-great bed and all necessary amenities. My room had a great view of the hills.
Additionally the breakfast here was a great value. The price was right; the food was fresh and delicious; it was timely; and there is a great selection. It was half the price of other properties' breakfasts where I stayed during this trip.
The ease of getting on and off the 101 makes this trip easily accessible to all of the SLO area and Avila Beach.
There are many big box stores and restaurants close to this hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel for your convenience of being in the SLO area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the hills overlooking the pool.
Green Features: Standard green practices. Very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Janis R.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I appreciate them and am very happy that your stay was a good one. We always want to make our guests feel welcome and have all of your needs met during your stay. if there is anything else that i can assist you with in the future please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Have a great day

Warmly
Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was our first stay at this Courtyard. We have stayed at other hotels in the area. As you would expect from Marriott the rooms were well taken care of and very clean. Desk and restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly. Although you are near the beach this is not a beach location. You are convenient to Highway 101 and shopping. Local attractions are just minutes away. There is a nice view of the hills that are in back of the property which give it a laid back feeling. The pool and spa area are very nice and clean.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RoyB871,

Thank you for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo for your recent stay.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear our staff described as “professional, friendly and welcoming.” We strive for excellence when it comes to customer service and meeting the needs of our guests.We look forward to serving you once more!

Front Office Manger
Lodi, California
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I'm a Marriott gold member, have been for years, so I stay at their properties at least 50 days per year. This is a nice Courtyards, with regards to service etc. My daughter goes to Cal-Poly and I stay here several times a year. My main problem with this hotel is they know the schools schedule and they really gouge you on parent weekends, move in days, etc. Not only do they increase the room rate to unacceptable levels (I'm talking ridiculous increases) they also implement 2 night stay minimums.

Ok, I guess I understand, but I don't have to like it, and I also don't have to stay here. There are a lot of smaller boutique hotels in SLO. New student parents, make a point to visit hotels when your in the area. You can establish relationships and they'll take care of you if they know you stay at other times. This is a problem I have with this Marriott, they don't appreciate that you stay here year round. To them, a busy weekend is just that a busy weekend. They could careless if you stay here when nobody is in town, because they have limited 'Name' competition. Keep in mind, this is coming from a gold member. I need stays to retain my gold level status to get free perks (free concierge level services at full service Marriott brands, not courtyards). Even with this I recommend you follow this review.

Build a relationship with a cool location in Avila, downtown SLO, or even Pismo. They'll appreciate your business, they'll want to retain you as a year 'round customer, and you'll get better treatment on busy weekends. Especially if your moving your child in and you only need 1 night. Again, stay here at first it's nice and predictable, but you'll pay (unfairly). Then find a nice bed and breakfast in SLO, Avila, or even Pismo Beach. You'll still be minutes from your child and you'll build a relationship you can leverage for all four years.

Room Tip: We like the view of the countryside - nice view, horses etc.. Much nicer than the pool side view. Th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J S
September 4, 2014

Dear JS,

Thank you very much for choosing The Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo for your stay. We appreciate the loyalty to Marriott and want to continue to build that great relationship between you and this hotel.
I apologize about you not being happy with your stay at this hotel. I understand your frustration with the rates for busy weekends in the area. Please contact me directly or our Sales Director, Michael Adams for any future reservation to see if we can give you a better rate for your next stay. While we are not a Full Service Marriott hotel, we will do our best to provide the best service for all guests during their stay.

Thank you and have a great day.

1605 Calle Joaquin
San Luis Obispo, Ca 93405
805-786-4200
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This property is a cut above most Courtyard properties. Efficient and knowledgeable staff, quiet location, and exceptionally clean rooms. For me personally the best feature is a box for recycling right next to the trash can in the room. This is such a simple thing for a hotel to do and yet only a very small percentage of the hotels we visit each year offer this service. We stay a minimum of 75 nights a year in a hotel and if we are not flying I will bring all of the empty plastic water bottles and other recyclables home to be sure that they are properly disposed of. Perhaps Tripadvisor could include a box to check if the hotel recycles. It could influence where people choose to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Micki B
Treyana_Beals, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Micki B,
I am pleased to hear the Front Desk was friendly and accommodating to your needs. We take great pride in delivering excellent customer service. I will be sure to share your comments with my staff. This hotel takes great pride in our recycling throughout the hotel. We hope that you will stay with us again if you return to this area. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Warmest Regards,
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 days in April this year. This is a more upscale hotel with very nice indoor decor and outside landscaping. Pool area and spa very nice. Restaurant attached is very convenient although morning breakfast will cost you, not complimentary. Staff was friendly and proffessional. Rooms were nice but not overly lavish. Our first night was a little unnerving due to the palm trees brushing against the window making a terrible racket all night and blocking the beautiful view of the nearby hillside with horses grazing. Why they chose to place palm trees in front of some of the room windows is beyond me, bad decision. We complained to the staff and were immediatly given another room without the ubiquitous palm in front of the window. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dirtman140
Treyana_Beals, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Dirtman140,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I am very happy that the Front Desk Agents were able to move you to a room that was more convenient for you during your stay. Please give me a call personally if there is anything else that i can assit you with or if you need assistance for future reservations. Make sure to join us next time for dinner as we have some wonderful and delicious menu selections to choose from. We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've stayed in a good deal of Courtyards and this one was pretty classy. My room was assigned as per my specifications so I was happy. The hotel appearance is sharp and the services include a full restaurant and bar with room service. Ryan and Kevin in the lounge were lovely. We stayed by the pool and relaxed for a bit in the afternoon and everythng was clean. Really loved the extras like the cookies, water and coffee bar.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Treyana_Beals, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
July 31, 2014
Dear Jenny Dell
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated. We always want to make sure that all guests staying at the hotel has a great experience and that our staff provides the best customer service. I will be sure to forward your review to the restaurant manager so that she knows that her employees are doing a great job.
We hope that you choose The Courtyard by Marriott San Luis Obispo for your stay if you visit this are again.
Have a great day 