“Couldn't ask for more”
Review of Garden Street Inn

Garden Street Inn
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Garden Street Inn was the perfect place to stay for a family wedding. The Innkeeper, John, was so very helpful, he responded to every request. Since our family and friends occupied the entire inn, we were able to host pre-wedding events at the inn. Everything was perfect. Everyone had a lovely time, the location to downtown is so handy, and very close to our wedding venue.
The decor matched the vintage theme of the wedding festivities.
Just a perfect weekend.

Room Tip: All the suites are especially nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Garden Street Inn

Reviewed 12 June 2012

The garden inn was lovely. Friendly staff, wonderful rooms and great location. I would recommend to friends and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed here recently over a weekend for a wedding and, although the bride and groom's families had also blocked off groups of rooms in other places too, we were very happy we made the choice to stay here.

The location can't be beat and the inn itself is pretty charming with cute, comfortable rooms. It's not super fancy or anything but it is cozy and the breakfast is good. All the people who worked there were welcoming and friendly.

The one downside was that I do have to agree with other reviewers about the noise from the parking lot, but I'm not sure how the inn could have prevented this. The parking lot belongs to a bank and appeared both nights we stayed to be a hangout for super drunk people. Some loser woke up the whole inn (everyone was talking about it in the morning) by yelling and puking in the parking lot at about 3 a.m. for what seemed like an hour or more. It's kind of funny now but, I mean, come on.

Again, I'm not sure what the inn keepers could have done about this, as they have nothing to do with the parking lot. I stayed at an inn once in a busy area in Sonoma and they provided earplugs and a sound machine and that kind of helped, but I don't think there's a whole lot you can do. I guess it's the price you pay for staying downtown -- and we really liked staying downtown.

I've stayed at the Madonna Inn before and, although this place doesn't have the same campy novelty (which there is something to be said for), I was more comfortable at the Garden Street Inn. It's cheaper, the location is great and I believe you get more for your money, despite some incidents of noise.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from the bank's parking lot as possible. Maybe if we had stayed cl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank basscatSanFrancisco
Reviewed 24 May 2012

So, back in the day I lived in the Garden Street Inn. At the time what are now the rooms were individual apartments with kitchens. In fact, I brought the owners into the place when they knocked on the door because they wanted to make a B & B out of it. Silly me, I thought I would go back after all these years and see how the place had been lovingly restored and maintained. Ba Ha Ha Ha Ha. The noise from the parking lot is louder then it was 20 years ago but the lights are just as bright. The place is old an dirty and disgusting and the quality of customer service is a joke. I can tell you this...our happy group of bohemians kept the place cleaner and we were a lot more friendly. In the years since I have become a seasoned word traveler and I can sleep through nearly anything...but the parking lot next to the Garden Street Inn was impossible to seep through. The sheets were sandpaper, the room was not clean the staff did not care and the breakfast was a joke. If visiting the Garden Street Inn is on your bucket list...you might want to reconsider you are better off staying at anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank gail h
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This place is like home, clean room, a nice place to stay, if you like diffrent B&B and very central placed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I read all the complaints after my visit and was most surprised. They must have had a face lift and a complete change of heart for the place was terrific when we stayed. We found it in the Rough Guide which rarely gets things wrong so there must have been a ropey patch last year. The décor is excellent and in tune with the building - rooms are very comfortable - breakfasts are excellent and change every day - rates are good - location could not be better - public car park, free, is close -reception is friendly. What more can I say other than be there on a Thursday to enjoy the fabulous Farmers' market with local entertainment. This B&B was just one of the reasons that we fell in love with SLO, as they call the town. Also not to be missed is the Palazzo Giuseppe one of the best Italian restaurants I have eaten in ANYWHERE.

Room Tip: Our room, front left, good in every other way had an arrangement that you could not watch TV in bed...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

It has been 3 years since I have visited SLO. Since I have been back I have stayed at several hotels but this one is my favorite so far. As for rooms, I have stayed in three different rooms and I enjoyed them all for different reasons. I love the claw foot tubs and the water gets super hot. They are kind of tricky to understand at first so beware, I burned myself a few times. First I stayed in the Moon Valley, then Dollie McKeen then the Emerald Isle. I love how big Dollie McKeen is and the bathtub is luxurious. There is an interesting story about Dollie McKeen on the website too. I love how Emerald Isle has it's own rear entrance and patio. The Inn Keeper John is super nice and helped me with more than one project that came up during my stay. I bought a bike to cruise around on and he busted out the tools and tuned it up for me in about 10 minutes. I decided to stay in SLO a lot longer than originally anticipated because of the warm hospitality I received. I wish the price was just a little lower.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo