“The little differences that count”

Quality Suites San Luis Obispo
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a tall, hulking white edifice looking out-of-the ordinary architecture for California. Go inside, and the ceiling fans attract you towards a large, dark, shiny,tiled lobby with fireplace, candles, conversation area. There is a bar in the parlor at left. The B-B-Q outside by the pool draws you for hamburgers, steak sand., veg. burgers, tacos, sometimes chili at 6 p.m. Reasonable prices: $3 for the hb & salad. The bar has a welcome reception with beer, sometimes speciality beers, wine, and soft drinks. You can relax in the parlor, by the fireplace, or by the pool. The fresh plant in our room made all the difference to us. Two tv's, one in the bedroom, one in the liv. room area. The towels were folded in a special way. What's not to like with a cooked-to-order breakfast offering of Western omelet with spinach, mushrooms, cheese. Or ham & cheese omelet, or the Works (scram. eggs, sausage or bacon, potatoes & 2 waffles). Looks like the bread was home-made. We had room 228 in the back, very quiet. Looked like there was a creek behind us. Room is clean, comfortable, and staff are accommodating. We enjoyed it.

Room Tip: We liked upstairs and in the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It was great to read that you notice the “little differences” of our hotel. Our culture here is similar to what you describe and we feel it is the special little things our Associates do that make a difference.

In reference to the building architecture, the hotel is designed in a way to fit into the heritage of San Luis Obispo. Our intent was to capture the historical nature of the area and incorporate it into something our guests would enjoy. The interior lobby is designed to capture the feel of the Mission with the fountains, fans and decorations. We have found that our guests appreciate the unique feel of our hotel and the connection it provides them to San Luis Obispo. Because of the uniqueness of our hotel, we recommend to everyone that is interested in staying with us view the photography available online.

We hope to see you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Overall, good/nice property. Very nice bed/mattress. Very clean rooms. Close enough to downtown (4 blocks) but away from too much crowd. If you real need quite room, request a room away from families with young kids. The kids, their scooters and skateboards running around was almost bad enough for me to call front desk, but it let it go.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jon E
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. Over spring break we did see a lot of families traveling and staying at our hotel. We have two courtyard areas at our hotel. One surrounds the pool area and the other surrounds our gazebo/garden area. We like to recommend to our guests that are looking for a quieter location to stay in our gazebo courtyard.

We understand that if there is excess noise from the other guests they can be disturbing to those who would like to relax and prefer a quiet environment. We always recommend to our guests to not hesitate in contacting us if there is any way we can help make their stay better. If our guest let us know that there is a noisy situation, we will do our best to direct the situation in a way that will help everyone that is at the hotel.

We hope to see you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed for one night at the Quality Suites in San Luis Obispo. Very convenient to Cal Poly. Easy to find just off of route 101. Town of San Luis Obispo is charming. Hotel feels like a throwback t the 1970's. Spacious one bedroom had 2 double beds (note they are doubles, and not queen size) and a separate living room with a sofabed.

On the plus side: Spacious room
On the negative side: Old televisions, Old furniture, Carpet is very outdated, dark dreary rooms, no ventilation in the bathroom, exterior entrances to rooms - which is common in this climate, old design of walkways are tilted for drainage - or at least I hope that is the reason.

Breakfast: "cooked to order" - eggs were fresh, nice hot chocolate and coffee machines.
Dining area - also from the 1970's. And not in a fashionable way.
Elevator: tiny and also outdated.

Overall: Clean. Good location.

Would probably stay at a more updated hotel on a future visit.

Town is awesome!

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room since all doors open to the outside - less traffic on a higher floor.
1  Thank fam4ny

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and posting your comments on tripadvisor. I have been with the hotel since it opened in November 1986. During that time we have been on a five-year cycle of refurbishing our hotel. We know that some of the decor looks “vintage” to some of our guests. The design of our hotel is meant to be unique and fit within the general atmosphere of San Luis Obispo. This makes us different from many of the brand hotels.

We are in the process of one of our five-year cycles and should be refurbishing the suites again within the next 12 months.

It is great to read that you found our town to be “awesome”. Our proximity to downtown and Cal Poly helps our guests experience the benefits the town has to offer. We always appreciate hearing, from guests like you, that they enjoyed both while visiting our hotel.

We hope to see you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We visited this hotel during Cal Poly Open House weekend. The hotel is an hacienda-style hotel, rooms circle a pool area. The location is great.... it is about 1 mile to campus and 1 mile in the other direction to the downtown. We walked to the Farmer's Market on Thursday night which was great fun.
The hotel has a barbeque menu some nights and the included breakfast was great!!!
Although the rooms are a little dated, I think the price and location are right. I booked this hotel for Parent's Weekend!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It was good to read that you are were here for Parents weekend at Cal Poly. Many guests tell us that they like our location because it is equally close to Cal Poly and downtown when they plan on visiting both while they are here.

We always appreciate hearing when our guests walk to downtown and farmer's market. Walking is a great way to get to see and know our town. Many guest choose to walk to town then use our complimentary shuttle to be picked up.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are able to visit SLO.

Owner/ Managing Partner

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Had a great time here, We will stay here every time, great location to cal poly and walking distant to food locations. At night, people gather around fireplace and they bbq and had free wine and beer, free breakfast. We meet alot of people which we usually don't do at hotels.

3  Thank diaklin3
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel and posting it on tripadvisor. We appreciate knowing that you had a great time at our hotel. We really like the fact that you were able to meet a lot of people while you were here. We feel it is very important to give our guests the opportunity to interact with other guests and other Associates during their visit. This gives our guests the opportunity to enjoy socializing if this is something there are interested in doing while they are here. Like you, many of our guests appreciate the hotel and the they can easily meet people while they are here. From what our guests have told us, the socializing experience, enhances their experience while staying with us.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here april 3rd and 4th. The hotel is clean pools are heated and rooms are nice. The hotel serves a nice hot breakfast. THe staff are friendly and pleasant to talk to. I would stay here again if im in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CaliforniaMark

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and posted it on tripadvisor. We appreciate knowing that you had a “great stay” while visiting us in San Luis Obispo. The last several weeks we have seen a lot of families visiting on spring break and enjoying their time together at the hotel. It is great to see families connecting when they are here and the pool/patio area is a favorite area for them. It is good to read that you were able to enjoy our pool area as well as our free hot breakfast while you were here.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our area.

Owner/Managing

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I am a former frequent business traveler, and have stayed in many hotels all across the United States and the world. I can confidently say that this visit ranks as one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve ever had, and that unless the hotel is gutted and replaced with a brand new infrastructure and insulation, there is no chance that I would ever consider going back here even with an offer of a free stay. I'm only giving this two stars because the staff were for the most part great and a lot of what happened was clearly beyond their control. I’ll list the pros and cons below, but let me sum them up by saying that I’ve never stayed in a hotel where practically every moment spent in the actual hotel room was unpleasant and nerve-wracking, not to mention almost sleepless.

Pros:
- Staff for the most part was very friendly. I say for the most part because the woman who checked us in was fine but low energy and not what I would call “pleasant” or “friendly.” For example, she almost never looked us in the eye. Still, everyone else was fine, and quite helpful with minor issues, like our TV not working at first or us needing an extra blanket at one point. Also, see the bottom of the review for one other great staff experience we had upon checking out of the hotel. However, there are also negatives attached to the staff detailed below.
- Parking is easy and there are large spaces.
- Nice location in terms of access to the 101 and an easy if not exactly close walk to downtown SLO (about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you are; certainly no need for the free shuttle).
- The wi-fi was great, though as is typical for hotel wi-fi, streaming was hit or miss and the network would dip in and out. Still, probably the best part of the stay.

Cons:
- The walls are the thinnest I’ve ever experienced in a hotel, including extremely cheap budget hotels. We could hear practically everything going on outside and in the rooms next to us. And when I say could hear everything, I mean could hear noises while watching TV, with a loud white noise machine on to try to drown out the sound, and even while taking a shower with all doors closed. Let’s just say sleep was not easy to come by, and I was totally exhausted by the time we were ready to check out.
- I don’t know what the deal is with the infrastructure of the hotel, but every time housekeeping would go by with a cart (which was frequently in the early afternoon when we were trying to rest after a long morning), the entire front area would shake and rattle as if there was an earthquake happening; the noise was incredibly loud too. This would happen to a slightly lesser extent with suitcases going by. I’ve never experienced anything like this, and it’s simply inexcusable.
- It’s clear that there was an attempt to cram as many rooms into a small space as possible, and while this is I’m sure partially why the noise from other rooms was so bad, it also leads to the main area where the hotel rooms are being directly over the pool, which is open until 10. With the poor insulation and close proximity to the pool, this leads to loud noises from outside until quite late (the pool of course didn’t end up closing and getting everyone out until around 10:20 or 10:25).
- Following from the previous negative, the rooms themselves are tiny, certainly the smallest at this price point ($170/night with tax) that I’ve ever been in, and very difficult to handle with two people. The “desk” is crammed right against the wall where the hallway is and is tiny, and the bathroom is roughly 2 feet by 3 feet and opened via sliding door and is right next to the bed, making it impossible to be quiet when opening the bathroom door if someone is trying to sleep. The bed also takes up practically the entire bedroom area. I have no way of knowing this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the hotel used to be more of a budget hotel when it first opened, as the room (a “King Suite”) reminds me of the rooms in some of the budget hotels I would stay at in smaller towns, albeit at typically close to half the price.
- There are two negatives regarding the staff. One is that we were never told about the building behind the main building with additional rooms; I actually only found out about it from reviews here! As we were basically offered our run of the place when we checked in (we were told we could choose from any floor), it would have been nice to at least have been made aware of that option, even if it meant upgrading or for a future visit if there weren’t rooms available. Two is that when we called the front desk last night to complain about excessive noise and voiced our issues with the stay in general, the immediate response was that there was nothing that could be done. While I understand there’s a good chance this is true, I’ve had issues at several hotels I’ve stayed at in the past where at least the first response was to see if there was some way to help.
- The hotel is marketed on its website as good for business travelers, which is absolutely not true beyond the better than average wi-fi. The rooms are cramped and excessively noisy, the desk is tiny, and at least in the two nights we stayed here, the main clientele were families, which is exactly NOT what you want as a business traveler due to them being generally louder and taking up areas you may want to work in. The hotel itself is also unimpressive beyond the somewhat ornate lobby, which is not conducive to meeting and impressing clients or fellow business associates.
- The breakfast was mediocre at best if not slightly below par. In the brief time I was there the morning that we checked out, I noticed at least four people throwing out close to full plates of food.

There are other minor pros and cons (shower was good, bed was OK but woke up with an achy back both nights), but these are the ones that stood out the most. It’s at least good that I can end this on a somewhat positive note. When we went to check out and voiced our concerns, we were comped one night, which seems reasonable, and the person at the front desk could not have been more helpful and straightforward with the request. She did however mention that she had been doing nothing that morning but dealing with disgruntled customers, and somehow I’m not surprised. If it wasn’t clear, I would never recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely try to go to the set of rooms away from the pool
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael F
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and posting it on tripadvisor. I apologize for the disruptive and unpleasant noise you experienced during your visit to our hotel. I feel the same way you do when I experience unwelcomed noise. I know it can make a good stay in all other regards an unpleasant experience. It always hurts me deeply and personally when I find out one of our guests did not enjoy their visit. We have many great Associates that do everything they can for our guests. Therefore, when we find out one of our guests does not have a good experience we are all concerned. It is good to know that the front desk Associates listened to your concerns and made an appropriate gesture. It is unfortunate that you came at a time when we had an unusually noisy group. As you can tell by the other reviews, this is not something that typically happens here.

If there is anything else I can do, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly. My direct line is 805-597-6060.