“Great place to stay!”

Quality Suites San Luis Obispo
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We spent a long weekend here when we were visiting San Luis Obispo for graduation at Cal Poly. Everything about the hotel was terrific. The rooms (suites) are huge and very well appointed. The free breakfast is cooked to order, the best I've ever had at any hotel. The grounds are very attractive. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a free cocktail hour and a very inexpensive BBQ dinner every night by the pool. There's free wifi. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank david_lauth
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and post it on tripadvisor. We appreciate getting the feedback from our guests that stayed here over Cal Poly graduation. There are always a lot of visitors in town during graduation. We know this is an important day for almost everyone here and we want to do what we can to make the experience memorable.

It was nice to read that you found our breakfast to be “the best you have ever had the hotel”. We have a great staff and they will like knowing that you found them friendly and that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are able to visit San Luis Obispo.

There are newer reviews for Quality Suites San Luis Obispo

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at the Quality Suites San Luis Obispo on a recent business trip to SLO. The hotel's free shuttle pickup at the SLO airport worked like a charm. The shuttle driver was fast, efficient and friendly, she gave us recommendations on where to eat and what to do during our stay. Honestly, when I think of the Quality Suites brand, I think dated, slightly worn, basic hotels. This was definitely a huge step up from that. The lobby was well appointed, as was the nice patio by the pool. I liked that they had a complimentary happy hour and an a la carte grill menu for dinner. My room was huge, very clean, and well appointed. I could not believe this was a quality suites- what a great value! The location of the hotel is right downtown- walking distance to many great shops and restaurants.I would highly recommend the Quality Suites San Luis Obispo!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KF505
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and post it on tripadvisor. Business Traveler's typically post fewer reviews so we always appreciate it when we get their feedback. Good to read that the pickup from the SLO airport worked well. We are continually adding new elements to our suites so it was good to read that you found them huge, clean and well appointed. We hope you had the opportunity to walk downtown and enjoy the area during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are able to visit SLO.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had one night only. The suites are dated but very clean and the beds comfortable. The motel attracts families so lots of kids in the pool. The managers happy hour was very nice with Firestone DBA on tap, a favorite, and free! They had a barbecue which we should have taken advantage of as our meal in town was poor and expensive. The barbecue prices are ridiculously low for what you get and given the free beer and wine it's no wonder many guests just hang around for dinner there sitting around the pool. Breakfast cooked to order and very good. For the price of a room you get quite a lot here, and the staff is great. And, if you don't want to walk the few blocks to the main part of town, there is a free shuttle to take you there and back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ucddoc
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and posting it on tripadvisor. We appreciate knowing that the “extras and friendly staff” made our hotel a great place to stay. It is unfortunate that your meal in town was “poor and expensive”. However, it was good to read that you decided to check out our evening barbecue. Our guests tell us that the barbecue is one of their most popular features because they can stay, relax around our pool courtyard, get dinner at a great value and fully enjoy our free beer and wine tasting reception.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

When a Hotel starts sawing and drilling all over the complex for three successive days, what WAS an excellent, quiet, peaceful place to stay during the day becomes a place to rapidly flee, if one seeks any degree of the aforesaid PEACE.

At the least the Choice Hotels establishment directly across the street had the decency to state that the Hotel was undergoing refurbishment (read the reviews on the Hotel website). Not so with this, higher rated (#2 in SLO at the time we booked), "Quality Suites".

When I initially raised the issue with the front desk on Wednesday, our having decided to curtail our 7-day stay to just 5, partly due to having seen the boxes of CAT5 cable being lugged about, step ladders appearing everywhere, saws-alls hacking into the undersides of all walkways, circular saws cutting new access portals every twelve to fifteen feet, drills driving screws, smelling burning wood from over-enthusiastic sawing, we were treated to an "I only work here a couple of days of week and don't know what's going on" response from the lady on duty, and utter silence from her male colleague not 4 feet from her, in clear earshot of my address. Does the hotel management communicate "today's events" to each shift? Apparently, if they did, the information was ignored.

Not up to #2 standards by any means. If you are going to punctuate everyone's days, yes, three in a row, then do your customers the honor of informing them BEFORE they purchase a product from you that you will patently, knowingly, fail to deliver. At best this is sharp-practice. At worst, it could be called robbery. In my case, it will be the last time I trust this Hotel to provide what they advertise.

Having left my contact information on the fully filled-out response card, personally handed to the lady I assume to have been either a shift manager or assistant manager on Friday, I am somewhat surprised that absolutely no effort has been made to contact me over the intervening five days, by telephone or email - perhaps a letter is in the mail...?

The under-refurbishment hotel reduced their rates at the time I booked for the week of Memorial Day. The least that Quality Suites could have done was the same reduction for the obvious disturbance they knew would occur. I did suggest this on my response card but noticed that my Choice Rewards card shows the full amount billed to it, as does my Capital-One card, so I guess my suggestion didn't get very far.

On the plus side, breakfast is plenteous, except that this time (our second multi-day stay here), the counter staff serving the hot breakfast items either took the initiative to reduce the number of thin, narrow, bacon rashers to three, or management has instituted some rationing policy. I had to request additional rashers and had to laugh on the last day when the gentleman added just one! The evening happy hour serves good wine and beers and the convenient barbecued offerings are good value, simple fare, if you don't feel like hunting down your evening repast elsewhere.

Sadly, the bath tub bib left rotated to near horizontal and evidencing clear signs of temporary fixes wasn't up to snuff.

Previously I would unquestionably have recommended this hotel. Now, call ahead and ensure they aren't going to be renovating anything during your stay.

Room Tip: Monterey Street is one of the busiest thoroughfares, so avoid the front half of the hotel and go for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SAinCA
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I agree with the customer on this review. In hindsight, we should have notified everyone about the project that was in progress. The project in question was re-cabling our high-speed Internet so that we can provide higher grade Internet quality and connection to our guests. The contractor told us that they would be pulling cable and that it should not be disruptive to our guests. Like a difficult home renovation project, the scope of the work escalated while we were in the middle of the project. Since we were made aware of changes as they were developing it made it difficult for us to communicate up-to-date information to our guests. We would have liked to have communicated more professionally from the beginning. There also should have been a better response from our front desk Associates when asked about the project that was going on at our hotel.

I will do my best to reach out and connect to this guest to do what I can to make it right by them. I would like to let all our customers know that if they are interested in contacting me my direct line is 805-597-6060.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Chose this property due to TripAdvisor rating and very happy. Nice room with large sofa in living area. Motel has lovely outdoor living area near pool which is very relaxing. Not sure if it was just a spring special, but we had free happy hour wine and beer, outdoor BBQ which was nice quality burgers etc and super cheap ( and very handy after a long drive), and also free breakfast. Friendly staff and location OK too. Highly recommended. .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cruiser12345
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on tripadvisor. We appreciate knowing that you were very happy with your stay at our hotel and that you gave us a “highly recommended”. The amenities you mentioned, free wine tasting and beer in our Cantina and the outdoor barbecue happen every night. This way our guests can come anytime a year and enjoy these amenities.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here and the Roos are very well appointed and clean. The facility is very well kept and the morning complimentary breakfast is full service. Great value. Near downtown.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brian M
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on tripadvisor. Your review that says this is the second time you have stayed with us is one of the biggest compliments we can receive. Our Associates have a lot of pride in our hotel and it is great to see that you noticed it.

If there is anything additional you can think of that you would want, please let us know.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Quality Suites San Luis Obispo for one night while I was in town for an interview at Cal Poly.

THE ROOM
This is an all-suite property, and my room was very large, comfortable, and quiet. It had a balcony where I enjoyed a cup of tea before bed; a large bedroom area; and a living area with a sofa, table, and TV. The amenities (an iron and full-sized ironing board, hangers in the closet, shoe shine wipes, etc.) were absolutely perfect for a business traveler. I had everything that I needed to get ready for my interview.

THE LOCATION
The location was perfect for exploring downtown SLO. It took me about 15 minutes to walk, though the shuttle would have driven if I had preferred. There were TONS of great restaurant choices for dinner within a quick walk of the hotel. I had dinner at Big Sky Cafe, which was amazing.

BREAKFAST
I have to comment specifically on the breakfast. It was included in the room price and seriously better than a restaurant breakfast. A cook made me fresh scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms and a side of potatoes. This was all made-to-order in front of me, not served up from a dish. There were also muffins and pastries, cereal, yogurt, juices, milk, and other goodies.

THE SERVICE
I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere with better service. They have a free shuttle that took me to and from the airport and to and from Cal Poly. The shuttle also has drop-off points in downtown SLO. The people who drove me around were unbelievably friendly and helpful, telling me about San Luis Obispo and pointing out good restaurants. They helped me to print out my presentation and some documents for my interview, and they happily held my luggage after I had checked out. It is rare to find service where people seem genuinely happy to help, rather than just "doing their job." I highly recommend Quality Suites San Luis Obispo for the outstanding service alone, and I'll absolutely stay here myself again if the need arises.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AshleyinDeKalb
gnewland, Owner at Quality Suites San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel on tripadvisor. We always appreciate hearing about the experience of our hotel from the perspective of our business travelers. I hope that the connection you made with our hotel assisted you in having a successful interview at Cal Poly.

Our Associates have developed a culture that is centered on the guests that stay with us and the community that we are part of here in San Luis Obispo. Your experience, that our Associates were genuinely happy to help you is our culture.

We wish you luck in your interview process with Cal Poly. We feel fortunate to live in such a great community and area of California. If you accept the position at Cal Poly please let us know so that we can congratulate you and welcome you to the community.

Owner/Manager Partner