“Friendly Staff”

Lamplighter Inn & Suites
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We stayed at the Comfort Inn &Suites Lamplighter during graduation weekend at Cal Poly, where every hotel room in town was sold out. For such a hectic weekend, we found the staff to be very courteous, friendly, and efficient. Our room was on the third floor in the main building, which is the updated wing. The room was moderate in size. It was clean, nicely furnished, and included a microwave and refrigerator. At times, we could hear the guests in the next room, but generally it was quiet. The continental breakfast was continuously monitored and replenished by the staff, which kept all the guests happy.
We had an enjoyable stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank kt149
There are newer reviews for Lamplighter Inn & Suites

Reviewed 29 May 2007

This motor inn was OK for our one-night stopover, but the price, at $90, seemed high for a dressed up old motel with oddities.

Our queen-bed room, on the third floor of the annex, was comfortable but small. The bathroom, on the other hand, was large but empty. Only a toilet and a shower stall. The room smelled of disinfectant, which did not dissipate easily even with the windows open all night. The bed was adequate, if a little hard.

The room was located in an annex to the motel -- actually a separate building across a side street. This was odd, more so because the annex is nestled among private homes. The benefit was that the night was very quiet and the area felt secure. In contrast, the motel's main building fronts onto a very busy road.

Interior details suggested that both buildings are fairly old but recently renovated. The buildings' age may have something to do with a prominent sign outside the lobby that warned guests "This facility contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm." (See the photo attached to this review.) This notice also appeared in the motel's information book. Since we had not seen such a notice at any other motel during our trip, we found it a little disconcerting.

The provided breakfast was very good. It is laid out in a nice room off the lobby. An attendant kept everything in order.

Overall, not a bad stay. But for the same price, we felt that something better might be found in San Luis Obispo.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank NW_Raven
Reviewed 29 April 2007

Went to San Luis to check out Cal Poly, stayed here for a weekend. Good location, right by Poly and the downtown area. We were in a room in the main new-ish building with a balcony over the pool courtyard. The pool and jacuzzi area was a very nice hang out spot for the family. The room was clean and adequately sized, with good beds. Needed more pillows, though. Continental breakfast with WAFFLES was better than usual. When we checked in, there was free popcorn in the lobby... yum! And the kids at the front desk were quite nice and knowledgeable about the area. Some rooms seem to be in an older building across the street, so if you want to be by the pool and lobby, ask to be put in the main building.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank dandaman
Reviewed 3 October 2006

The room was mediocre at best. Cheap furniture, worn out mattress, very noisy air conditioner, but relatively clean. The breakfast bar was high in sweets and carbs, low in anything nutritious.

My major complaint about this hotel is that I made a confirmed, guaranteed reservation several weeks before arrival. When I arrived to check-in, the hotel refused to honor the confirmed and guaranteed price. Their attitude was if I didn't like it I was free to go elsewhere but they'd still charge me for one night. Having no choice at that moment, I stayed. Later, I contacted the hotel AND Choice Hotels corporate headquarters. Their attitude was the same. I wasn't surprised that the hotel maintained that attitude, but I was shocked at the corporate lack of interest.

I travel extensively for business and pleasure. Based on this experience, I won't return to any Choice hotel (Comfort Inn/Suites, Quality Inn, Clarion, Sleep Inns, others) anytime soon.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank gd540
Reviewed 14 August 2006

My husband and I booked 2 rooms at this reasonably priced hotel: One for us, and another for my mom. The hotel was clean overall; but owing to its age, there was a grimy feel to the older room my mom occupied. The multiple building motel was arranged in a classic fashion, with rooms surrounding a smallish pool and spa. This resulted in a loud echo effect. I was kept up all night with the sound of people yelling, motorbikes "blasting," and a general noisy din. Even though we had a room in the newer building, I could hear guests coughing, talking, and even snoring! The double occupancy room we booked came with only 2 flimsy pillows. I requested 2 more pillows, which never came. I had to use rolled up towels for neck support. Lastly, the room numbering system was very confusing and we (along with numerous other guests) wandered through a maze of hallways looking for room numbers that didn't seem to make sense. For example, our second floor room number began with the digit "1" while my mom's first floor room number began with the digit "2." While in isolation, this may seem nit-picky, imagine it being late at night, you're exhausted, and you can't even find your room! All in all, the price was right and it was clean, but the noise, confusion of the layout, and below average service made this motel experience one I would NOT recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank meamers
A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip and found my room to be clean and spacious. The hotel has a new feel, which is a credit to their efforts to keep up the facility. The staff was friendly and there was a good complimentary breakfast with a flat screen TV to watch the morning news while eating.

There is a second wing across the street that is not connected to the main facility. I would suggest requesting lodging in the main building for ease of access to the pool, workout room and breakfast.

I enjoyed my stay and would come back again the next time I visit SLO for business or pleasure!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 May 2006

No matter how you look at it, Lamplighter is way, way overpriced. I wished I had saved the money and stayed at Motel6. I will complement them that everything was clean. But the room was microscopic. The shower was barely large enough for one and that was with the plexiglas door open. The walls were paper thin (we met some nice next door neighbors this way). The breakfast was Spartan and uninspired. If I had wanted to stay in a 1-star hotel, I would have paid those prices. In this case, I feel ripped off.

• Stayed: May 2006