“Great for a short trip passing through or single traveler”

Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My family stopped in BW Plus Royal Oak Hotel as a rest place from a concert nearby. The rooms were exceptionally clean, as I have found with most Best Westerns. The rooms were spacious with a very small bathroom vanity. The beds were most comfortable. The staff were courteous and friendly when we checked in. Plenty of nearby restaurants to choose from, inclduing late night at Appleby's. Would recommend this place to stay at and would most likely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room closest to the entry way and we could hear when people were coming and going...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ldr74

Reviewed 23 July 2012

As we are frequent travelers with our pets we appreciate a pet friendly hotel which is clean and noce and the rooms were awesome.. Pets are cleaner than kids at least ours are . WE travel with a portable puppy pen that covers the floor so that the dogs cannot have accidents or pick p anything form the floors.. SOme hotels will put you in the WORST rooms with your dogs. This hotel was freidnly well cleaned lovely to be in and was soooo comfortable!! Staff was very nice to my little dog.. I loved this place! VERY well for the dog lovers who are really starting to do a lot of travling ..LOVED THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: IT really was just a very nice hotel all around ,,,...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stopped in San Luis Obispo for lodging on our way up from Santa Barbara. We had a next day tour at Hearst Castle which was approx. 1hr from the Hotel. This place was an excellent joice to lodge. It was clean, quiet and close to the Shopping Mall and Restaurants right across the street. We had 4 adults sharing 1 room for a 1 night stay. There was a complimentary breakfeast and pricing was very reasonable. I would definetly lodge here again and recommend this Hotel for anyone passing through.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Originally booked this hotel because it's dog-friendly. We ended up not bringing our pooch but it would have been good had she been with us. Fenced dog run available. We got a ground floor room as requested. Every room has a porch with chairs (we faced poolside). Room was good sized. Fairly quiet. (could hear a little bit of inner hall noise if people were out there) Fridge provided, but no microwave. (only a slight drawback) Didn't use the pool but the grounds were immaculate. Slept in too late to get the breakfast, which I never do, so I guess that's a good sign of a comfortable bed. Easy access to grocery and fast food across the street. Shower was quite good. (tall enough and good pressure) Overall, not exciting in any way but a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 37Tallytraveller11
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I and our two dogs stopped here on a road trip headed North from San Diego. We arrived late at night and appreciated that the hotel has a fenced dog run where we could let our dogs play for a few minutes. The breakfast was adequate, room was clean and spacious, and the staff was very friendly.

The only thing that would be nice is a grassy area for the dogs, since the ground was just dirt. We would definitely stay here again if in the area and in need of a dog-friendly property.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My son serves at an annual Civil Air Patrol training camp that is often held at Camp San Luis Obispo. We stayed here with our large dog two years ago, just after they renovated the floor we stayed on. It was beautiful, friendly and allowed my pet. They had a nice dog walk for him.

We returned this year, and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, but the hotel aging, with many minor annoyances. The young people at the front desk were responsive, but often lacked common sense. When I checked in, I was told I would have to call down to the lobby at 7 am on Sunday to get a late check out. The maid picks up a note on all rooms with late check out when she comes to work. Really????? I want a late check out so I can sleep in. Now I have to wake up so I can alert your maid because she doesn’t read he computer notes. You’re kidding, right? I asked again on Saturday and they assured me they would give us late checkout. Unfortunately, the maid did not get the word and woke us up early! ARRRRGH!

There was no channel guide in the room, and jumping to channel that wasn’t connected made a loud static noise. I asked at the front desk for a guide and was told I should use my computer to go to TV guide dot com. Really? You’re kidding, right. A more astute clerk gave me a copy of a hand written channel guide saying the local cable was a monopoly and keeps changing the line up without sending new cards.

The phone in my room was not connected and I had to call from the outside to get the password to the internet, which was painfully slow. The cable tv, was terrible, with channels missing and HBO unwatchable. I notified the front desk on Saturday, but neither problem was fixed. When I mentioned it again, they offered a discount. Okay, thanks for doing your best to make things right.

Overall, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were great and the back of the hotel is the place to stay if you want quiet. The breakfast is carbo loaded, but if you stay at the Embassy Suites down the road for a hot meal included, you will pay twice the price, have loud freeway noise and have to leave your dog at home.

When I decided to get my son his own room the one night he stayed here, they gave him the king sized room on the same floor at the price I was paying for a double. Thank you again! This means a lot to me, and despite the minor inconveniences, I will return.

Room Tip: Pick one in the back of the hotel and arrive before posted check-in. I had requested one of these ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed here one night with my two little kids. We arrived at 11pm after making a reservation on the phone en route, and check-in couldn't have been easier. The room was soo comfortable and sheets were soo soft, exceptionally clean and neat, we loved the balcony with totally kid-proof fence, the breakfast was substantial, customer service excellent, pool lovely. We will definitely be staying here again on our regular trips through the area!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family