“Avenue Inn Downtown, San Luis Obispo,"Great rooms and value!"”

Avenue Inn Downtown San Luis Obispo
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Don't let the plain motel exterior fool you. The newly renovated rooms are top notch with granite and tile flooring in the bathroom and a rain shower head. Sol Taylor was very welcoming and helpful. After a long drive it was great to leave the car in the parking lot and walk downtown. Lots of restaurants, bars and shopping within a short walking distance. A fantastic value. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Sandra R

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Loved the new decor, linens, and comfortable bed. Great rain shower head! The manager, Sol Taylor, was a very nice gentleman - helpful and always busy making sure his guests were comfortable.Loved the fact that we could park our car and walk anywhere downtown!

4  Thank Paula R
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here last weekend on a spontaneous getaway trip to SLO with my boyfriend. We randomly came across it after first trying the Garden Inn (the only other hotel in downtown SLO) and driving through the downtown. It's in a great location right in the edge of downtown and near the freeway and very near a hiking trail up the mountain you can see from the Lobby. The guy working the front desk let us know that this used to formally be a Travelodge. The inn is currently in the midst of construction but some of the rooms are already complete. We were lucky enough to get a room without having booked in advance and it was a great remodeled king room with a refrigerator and a microwave. It was lacking a coffee pot and tea but I put that to them still being semi under construction. There was also no continental breakfast but I assume they will begin offering that once renovations are complete. We were also unable to get the AAA discount b/c we didn't reserve online; so I'd recommend booking online to get the best price. Overall, I was happy with our stay here and I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Book online to get best price and get a remodeled room but not a too newly remodeled room (those hav...
4  Thank Dominica B
Reviewed 25 March 2014

On the outside it looks like your run-of-the-mill rundown motel leftover from the 70's. But thanks to the recent renovations done the interior of these rooms are extremely nice. I was not expecting the updates that they had in there, including a legitimate RAIN SHOWER!! I was very impressed at the quality and the manager Sol was one of the nicest people you could ever talk to. Plus it's a few blocks away from downtown SLO so the walk is not bad at all. Parking is a little cramped but I won't hold that against them. For the price, the Avenue Inn can't be beat and I'm definitely staying there the next time I'm in town.

5  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Like lots of people driving from SF to LA we stopped for a night in San Luis Obispo. The Inn was the first hotel we spotted and I'm glad we did. Sol, the manager and fellow Englishman, was very helpful and the newly renovated rooms were of a really high standard. Compared to some of the basic chain motels we've stayed in, for a similar price, this felt like a big step up, in terms of fittings, bed, cleanliness. It's also walking distance from the centre of SLO, which lots of other hotels in the area are not. We had a great stay here and would recommend it to anyone stopping in San Luis Obispo.

2  Thank JasonSE1
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I drove from Folsom, CA to SLO to visit my son and needed a place to stay. Upon arriving and meeting up with my son, he mentioned the Avenue Inn as a decent place that's not too expensive. I was very happy with the accommodations, especially the fact that the Inn had recently been completely renovated; new TVs, bathroom fixtures, carpet, etc. Very nice! Sol Taylor, the manager, was very gracious and hospitable. I was informed the Inn is adding a new dining area to enable them to provide a full breakfast, which will be a nice addition. All in all, I was very pleased with both the accommodations and the price. Stop in!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jbierek
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is very good. The rooms is new (just reformed), clean and a very good size. A few blocks of the main street, restaurants, bars, shop. Parking is available. I recommended, I'd go back again.

1  Thank Joanile V