“Easy one night stay”

Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our overnight stay en route to Cambria was wonderful. The front desk staff was more than accomodating in allowing us to check in early. The room was quiet and clean so we were able to get a good night sleep, have a tasty breakfast and be on our way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew C
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Andrew,
Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Express in SLO. It’s great to know you enjoyed your quick stay with us before travelling to Cambria. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate all of your needs during your stay. I hope you enjoyed your Central Coast getaway and we can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!

Holiday Inn Express SLO
805-544-8600
aswink@hisanluisobispo.com

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here this past weekend and was rather disappointed. I requested an early check in time as I had an event to attend at 3pm and needed the time to shower and dress. I called to confirm my early check in time and was guaranteed my room would be ready on my arrival. It wasn't. Though the staff and incredibly nice and pleasant, that didn't help me in my situation. Hours later, I finally made it into my room to find that the upstairs door, which leads to the hallway, was open and being used by construction workers who by the look of it, were demolishing the second floor. I should probably mention I was staying in a townhouse suit so this makes more sense. The open door/bathroom situation was handled but left me uneasy. Any noise heard made me jump. The noise from the construction was on going lasting late into the evening. It picked up just after 7:30 am the next morning. All throughout the first floor water dripped down from the ceiling leaving puddles and water streaks on the walls. It was concerning. The breakfast is made to order and very tasty, which is really the only positive thing I have to say about that stay. I won't book there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Victoria,

While I am happy to hear that my staff greeted you pleasantly, I am disappointed that we were unable to accommodate your early check-in request. We realize that guests often have important events to attend and we make every effort to have a clean room ready for them upon their arrival.

I also apologize for the unexpected maintenance issues in your room. The good news is that we are nearing the final stage of our room renovation. With our great location and new decor, we hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to demonstrate our commitment to providing all our guests with exceptional accommodations and service.

Please contact me so that I may resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We spent several nights here last spring. Good location, the staff couldn't have been more accommodating (which was good as we had to call upon them several times) but the place is simply too high priced for a hotel of this age. As is often the case, HIE took over after another national outfit ran the place for some years. It is showing its age in the rooms; at least the one we were in had been neglected for some time. Part of the problem was a sewer odor in the room; a maintenance person was quick to appear and work a bit of magic but the smell lingered.

Nice lobby and breakfast buffet area. Easy to walk to restaurants nearby. There are also some better priced places to stay within a three block radius. HIE has a tendency to advertise different prices; be sure to double check to make sure you're getting the "discount" advertised rather than the "regular" rates, here and other HIE places.

There is a good sized pool and a smaller spa within a gated area.

Room Tip: Best to ask for a room in the back away from the street which can be busy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear John_Bones3,

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. We appreciate your feedback as a Senior Contributor. I am very glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your needs during your past stay. I am sorry you experienced some problems in your room. We are currently undergoing a major renovation of all of our rooms which will be addressing issues like the one you had experienced.
Since we are a popular destination, we recommend booking in advance for the best possible rates by calling us directly. I hope you will be able to visit us again soon and enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

It's nice to stay in a place where you know what to expect, and after being caught without a reservation on a busy Saturday night, we were glad to get a room in a clean and nice place, with a good breakfast included. My one big complaint is the price! We feel that $200 for one night is overpriced by about $70. A bay view room in Morro Bay was $170. So to pay more for the HI Ex seemed too much. But when you're in a pinch, you have to pay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Niki,
Thanks for your feedback on the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your clean room and our breakfast too! Our weekends do book up fast, so for the best rates we do recommend making reservations in advance.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here for a school field trip to SLO area. Let me begin by saying that any property which can handle the invasion of 41 high school juniors without a hitch deserves my highest recommendation.

That being said, the property is clearly beginning to show its age. The exterior looks rather dated, but refurbishment inside, especially in public areas like the lobby strives for a more modern feel.

The rooms were spacious enough, and bathroom had a sink just outside of it as well as one inside which is nice if your room is full because one person can say, brush their teeth while another takes a shower. The shower flow was excellent, but the tub was slow to drain. When I called for another towel from the front desk, it arrived within two minutes.

The included breakfast had a variety of options ranging from cereal to bacon to pancakes, in my opinion a much better value than a $25 two muffin continental breakfast at a luxury property.

The pool was a fun touch, an excellent venue for a late night game of pool basketball. The hot tub was also up to par.

Overall: Easily handled a large group of teenager without a problem. Could you ask for more?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. I am pleased to hear that our staff handled your group with ease. We really enjoy having such well-behaved groups like yours stay at our hotel. I am glad that you were able you enjoyed our pool area and breakfast facilities. We are currently going through some renovations here at our hotel, which include remodeling of all of our rooms. I hope your group will be able to return to enjoy our new and updated look!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Here in town again for another class at CSTI and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for the Government rate.
Rooms are average to above average with a hot breakfast. Starting to show their age!
Staff are friendly and courteous.
Restaurants and bars are across the street and more well within walking distance.
Nice for the price but next time I will try another large chain hotel that offers a little more.

Room Tip: As always - ask for the top floor so you don't hear an elephant walking above you!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here while driving south on Highway 1. We loved the room, we were upgraded to huge suite, and can't complain! There was a great girl on the desk who was so friendly. When passing through we will always stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple