“Coastal Trip”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles, California
“Coastal Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our first trip up north in several years, so our first stop was in San Luis Obispo. The location of the hotel is just off 101, easy to find. We were greeted by the nicest front desk employee we have ever encountered. The lobby smelled great and had a nice fireplace with seating. We were tired from the long drive and the dining room had fresh coffee waiting for us. After checking in we went up to our room. Our room was on the small side, but very clean with a large flat screen t.v., comfy bed, all fresh. After a quick rest, we were ready to explore the downtown, so as we were existing the lobby, the front desk clerk once again asked if we needed anything and were we enjoying our trip. Next morning's breakfast was adequate with many choices, such as muffins, eggs, toast, yogurt, juice, cereal. Check out was a breeze. We will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anniversarytrip10
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
We are pleased that you had a welcoming and comfortable arrival experience with us. Thank you for taking time to review us. We look forward to your return.

James Davison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is very noisy, the plumbing system from other rooms echoed thru our room every time someone flushed the toilet. You can hear people talking in the next room and when people are walking on the floor above you it sounds like an elephant.
To top it off they had workman there and were hammering, drilling until 8.45 pm. When I rang the front desk to discuss this Taz was very rude, however the drilling etc stopped. We stayed two nights and the first morning we were woken at 7.00am by what we can only assume was a wake up call, followed 1/2 an hour later by another one. Not impressed. And someone had set the alarm clock which went off at midnight.
It is 3/4 of an hour walk from both Amtrack and Downtown.
On a positive note, the room was large and very modern and clean.
Gardens outside were lovely.
Has a laundry which is a big plus when you are travelling.
Did not use the spa or room service

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 481JanD481
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. We here at the Holiday Inn Express pride ourselves on providing the best possible service and comfort for our guests.

We apologize for the issues with the noise in the hotel during your stay. We are in our last week of our room "Refresh" and all of the noise associated with this renovation has stopped. We appreciate feedback from guests like yourself and apologize for any inconvenience during your stay.

We would love the opportunity to have you as a guest again and allow us to impress upon you our great service and wonderful rooms.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We've stayed at this H I E many times while visiting my granddaughter when she was attending Cal Poly SLO. Periodically we go on wine tasting tours and we make it a point to return to this fine establishment. Being a Platinum member of the H I E, and staying at H I E's nationwide it rates as one of the best that we have ever booked. Reception, courtesy, cleanliness and special attention (always) are a notch above other H I E's in my opinion.

Sal Freitas

Room Tip: So quiet and peaceful that any room will be restfull
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your loyalty as an IHG Platinum Rewards member. We are honored you choose us as your place to relax while exploring the beautiful wine country we are in the middle of. We look forward to making your next visit with us special.

oxnard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for NYE and had a wonderful visit. Check-in was effortless at the front desk by the friendly staff member. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Also had a great location right off the 101 on the main street in town. Close to everything. The breakfast was amazing with a fabulous waffle making machine. The staff was attentive and helpful at every turn. Excellent property. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Al W
We are very happy to hear you had a great visit and a wonderful start to the new year with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon. Thank you.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our overnight stay en route to Cambria was wonderful. The front desk staff was more than accomodating in allowing us to check in early. The room was quiet and clean so we were able to get a good night sleep, have a tasty breakfast and be on our way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew C
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Andrew,
Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Express in SLO. It’s great to know you enjoyed your quick stay with us before travelling to Cambria. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate all of your needs during your stay. I hope you enjoyed your Central Coast getaway and we can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!

Kind Regards,
Holiday Inn Express SLO
805-544-8600
aswink@hisanluisobispo.com
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this past weekend and was rather disappointed. I requested an early check in time as I had an event to attend at 3pm and needed the time to shower and dress. I called to confirm my early check in time and was guaranteed my room would be ready on my arrival. It wasn't. Though the staff and incredibly nice and pleasant, that didn't help me in my situation. Hours later, I finally made it into my room to find that the upstairs door, which leads to the hallway, was open and being used by construction workers who by the look of it, were demolishing the second floor. I should probably mention I was staying in a townhouse suit so this makes more sense. The open door/bathroom situation was handled but left me uneasy. Any noise heard made me jump. The noise from the construction was on going lasting late into the evening. It picked up just after 7:30 am the next morning. All throughout the first floor water dripped down from the ceiling leaving puddles and water streaks on the walls. It was concerning. The breakfast is made to order and very tasty, which is really the only positive thing I have to say about that stay. I won't book there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Victoria,

While I am happy to hear that my staff greeted you pleasantly, I am disappointed that we were unable to accommodate your early check-in request. We realize that guests often have important events to attend and we make every effort to have a clean room ready for them upon their arrival.

I also apologize for the unexpected maintenance issues in your room. The good news is that we are nearing the final stage of our room renovation. With our great location and new decor, we hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to demonstrate our commitment to providing all our guests with exceptional accommodations and service.

Please contact me so that I may resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Durango, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We spent several nights here last spring. Good location, the staff couldn't have been more accommodating (which was good as we had to call upon them several times) but the place is simply too high priced for a hotel of this age. As is often the case, HIE took over after another national outfit ran the place for some years. It is showing its age in the rooms; at least the one we were in had been neglected for some time. Part of the problem was a sewer odor in the room; a maintenance person was quick to appear and work a bit of magic but the smell lingered.

Nice lobby and breakfast buffet area. Easy to walk to restaurants nearby. There are also some better priced places to stay within a three block radius. HIE has a tendency to advertise different prices; be sure to double check to make sure you're getting the "discount" advertised rather than the "regular" rates, here and other HIE places.

There is a good sized pool and a smaller spa within a gated area.

Room Tip: Best to ask for a room in the back away from the street which can be busy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Luis Obispo, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear John_Bones3,

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express in San Luis Obispo. We appreciate your feedback as a Senior Contributor. I am very glad to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your needs during your past stay. I am sorry you experienced some problems in your room. We are currently undergoing a major renovation of all of our rooms which will be addressing issues like the one you had experienced.
Since we are a popular destination, we recommend booking in advance for the best possible rates by calling us directly. I hope you will be able to visit us again soon and enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms!

Kind regards,