“Bed bugs bite”

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Bed bugs bite”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Beware - a motel with side effects! We paid $224 for 2 nights for 2 queen beds and micro-frig - it was a nice room, reasonably quiet even though the motel was full. When we woke up on the first morning we found what we later found out were bed bugs and smears of blood on the bed sheets.

We didn't know anything about bed bugs at the time and it was only when I started scratching during the second night I realised what nasty little things they are.I ended up with bites and hives all over my body even on my face which all itched like crazy

Give the motel credit they replaced the beds and the bed linen but unfortunately the damage was done. Customer service was pretty bad, no explanation and no apology - they kept us hanging about for ages while they "sorted out" our room even though we had been out all morrning.

We had to argue for a refund - the under manager wanted to refer us to his manager who of course wasn't around but eventually stumped up refund for 1 night.

Other niggles- we were locked out twice during our stay from the room, the room safe was locked (they charge you $1 a day for the safe whether you use it or not!), the phone didn't work , the hairdryer was hanging off the wall and the bed coverings and pillows looked old, stained and crumpled. Our first (and last) Ramada stay was a thoroughly unpleasant experience, and 2 days later I'm still scratching. You have been warned.

• Liked — In room facilities and good size
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smallessexfarmers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Bend, Or and beyond
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Driving down the coast with the family for spring break my wife and I thought we'd leave one without lodging reservations so that we were not locked into a place to be at for one night. That night we rolled into San Luis Obispo around midnight and decided to call it a night. The first hotel we came across was the Ramada Inn Olive Tree so we stopped there. The hotel was pretty packed already and the price was ok so we decided to stay. We were given room 123 which was fine because the kids were sleeping and I was going to have to carry them to bed so a ground floor room was fine. Upon entering the room we noticed that it smelled of a musty, smokey-stale odor. The room was fairly big, with a back bedroom and walk-in kitchen but the floor was very uneven with huge bulges of something underneath the floor carpets....mostly it was really hard to get past the the stench.....This establishment is in serious need of renovation and fumigation. Luckily our stay was for only a few hours.

Our biggest mistake was not reading reviews before staying!!!

• Disliked — the smell!!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank bikesales

Travellers are raving about these San Luis Obispo hotels

San Clemente, CA
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Trip Advisor's "dirtiest hotels" e-mail got me to thinking about my worst hotel experience ever... and I realized I never submitted my review for this junker, so here it is.

We stayed on the ground floor in a back building and the room did indeed have a horrible smell. The carpet was old and dingy enough to make me keep my socks on, and the threadbare sheets and lumpy mattress weren't nearly as disturbing as the old plumbing, leaky shower, and stained tub. The flimsy sliding glass door opened to a "patio" and just screamed for a break-in. Adding to the ambiance is the proximity to NOTHING.

There was one big plus: we were on our way up the coast and while I'm not known for my morning hustle, I was out of that room at 7:30am sharp!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Rundown, dirty
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
sanramonmom
Reviewed 13 November 2007

We reserved the King Suite because we have four children. First of all, we entered and the smell was absolutely horrible. We had a total of 4 beds, 6 people. There were enough towels for 4 people and the pull out bed did not have pillows. When we went to the office to ask for more towels and pillows, the guy laughed and said, "we're full". This service cost us $200.00. We travel monthly with the kids because of sport competitions...... This was definetly the worst in 4 years.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service and price
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank sanramonmom
Princeton, Indiana
Reviewed 17 October 2007

We just returned from staying at the Ramada in SLO. I was hesitant at first to book there due to many bad reviews, but I decided to give it a try, since the hotel had the king suite that we wanted and also allowed pets--a necessity for us.

I'm not going to say it was perfect, but this was a nice hotel.

Things I think need attention would be minor. The wastebaskets didn't have liners in them, the wifi connection didn't work in all of our suite (BUT to be fair, we were in the far back building--and it DID work), and we only had 3 towels for 4 people when we checked in (but they nicely gave us more--anyway, the housekeeping staff doesn't know how many will be staying in a room). The mirror in the bathroom steams up during showers, but so do most at people's homes. The bathroom light is on the timer, so as long as you remember to turn it ALL the way you won't end up showering in the dark. That type of lighting control seems to be standard in many hotels, but I prefer a switch. While the fruit danish supplied for breakfast weren't necessarily home-made, the bagels were large and the serving of cream cheese to accompany them were generous.

Electrical outlets were a bit difficult to access, but I brought my own extension cord to make it easier and have my chargers for the phones and computer centralized anyway. I don't remember seeing an alarm clock (it may have been in the room used by the boys), but we use our cell phones for alarms anyway.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, giving us extra towels and pillows and helping us with some travel needs when we left for our airport--I was VERY appreciative of their extra help. Someone (probably a mischievous former guest) had tinkered with the hot water heater, so the first night we had a rather cold shower. I called the front desk, and the manager came down RIGHT AWAY to check on the problem and he fixed it immediately. Considering the late hour, I was impressed with the service.

Our suite was nice, with plenty of room and a very nice deck overlooking the creek. The hotel isn't brand new but was in good shape and easy to access. Our suite had a kitchen unit, and the refrigerator and coffee maker were very much appreciated, as were the ironing board and iron since we were getting ready for a wedding and had to deal with dress clothes which had been wrinkled in transit.

Checking in and out was easy, the firm mattress in our room was very comfortable, and nothing "smelled" (as in smelled bad). We had plenty of room for our things. We would probably stay here again if we have to visit SLO in the future.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank cjwo57
sicwaiting
Reviewed 30 July 2007

This hotel and it's staff and management make you want to go back home. The rooms are dirty, unkept, and smell of mildew. Staff tried to enter (and did enter) our room no less than 4 times per day with our complaints falling on deaf ears. Management was abrasively rude both on the telephone and in person and allowed their staff of underlings to be the same. We felt uneasy about leaving any valuables in the room due to the freedom the staff in entering it, so we ended up lugging computers and bags to and from the car when we left and came back. To top it off, the rooms at the Ramada are more expensive than the other motels in he city but the quality and service is well below them.

There's more but I think you get the point. The city o SLO was the only bright spot of our trip. I'd advise anyone to stay anywhere but the Ramada Inn Olive Tree when visiting SLO.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staying there
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sicwaiting
Reviewed 23 July 2007

After seeing the generally good reviews on this site we booked the hotel for a one night stay for some Cal Poly events and were shocked at the poor room condition (bugs in the bed) and lack of any meaningful staff response - changed room but no apology even.

would not stay here again for any price

Stayed July 2007