“Great for 2 adults and 3 teenagers in 1 suite”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel is the best place for a whole family to stay in one suite and have plenty of space to do what they want. The indoor lounge is great too. And the huge breakfast takes care of lunch as well. The complementary drinks at the bar from 5:30-7:30 is great as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Daniel G;

Great to see that you were able to enjoy the amenities of our hotel with your family. Our evening comp reception and comp breakfast tend to be crowd favorites. I was glad to see that you also enjoyed our lounge as well.

Continued safe travels to you and your family - all the best.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Each year I have a business/vacation trip to San Luis Obispo, when I try to stay in a different hotel each time. Last year I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, which was very nice, but decided to try Embassy Suites this year. The bed and bathroom were comparable to the Courtyard, except you get a sitting area and a pullout sofa in a separate room. The decor and carpet were nice but a bit dated. The bed was comfortable, the towels nice, and the soaps were excellent. One reason I chose this hotel was because of its location. It's near the center of the city toward the rear of a shopping center, so you are within a short drive to the sights and within walking distance to lots of chain stores and restaurants. Something else I really liked were the free breakfasts and happy hour. While the breakfasts are not unusual for a hotel this size, free drinks and appetizers for about two hours every evening in the spacious lounge area were quite a treat. One observation I must make has to do with all the children running around in the open areas. Some singles and couples seeking quiet time may be disappointed by the commotion and chatter of the kids. But overall, the hotel room itself was above average in comparison to other large chains I've stayed in around SLO, and the location and the cocktails, in my book, make it very good and a good bargain.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Matt2414;

I'm so pleased that you chose Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo for your business/vacation trip. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your spacious guest room suite and amenities and that you found our beds comfortable. Many guests really enjoy our location for the exact reasons you mentioned, i.e. close to downtown SLO as well as convenient shopping within walking distance. It was great to see that you took advantage of our comp evening reception as well.

Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback. We look forward to your next visit to SLO.

All the best!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I recently went up to SLO for a nice relaxing weekend. We had previously stayed at another Embassy Suites in Lompoc which turned out to be very nice..but this one even better!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful indoor setting for the complimentary free breakfast buffet and the cooked to order station...the food was great. In the evening they set up the bar in same area for free HH drinks and snacks..Was all very very nice. Had a great suite...very comfortable and so much room!! I highly recommend to anyone going in that area to stay there!! The staff was very very hospitable and took care of any needs we had. Perfect!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MalibuJanice:

Wow, sounds like you had an amazing time! My sincere appreciation for you taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. Many guests comment on our open Atrium area and find it an enjoyable place to relax at the end of a long day. I was very pleased to see that you found our food "great" - Chef Sowell and his team work very hard and take much pride in what they do. As you mentioned, our suites are quite spacious and I'm glad you found your guest room suite comfortable. I will definitely share your incredible comments with our staff, and again, many thanks for sharing your feedback. We look forward to your next "perfect" stay.

All the best!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I really like the Embassy Suites brand and was looking forward to another great stay. Overall, the ES in SLO is a decent property with helpful staff in a good location right off Highway 101. It did take a few minutes to actually find the hotel as it is in the back corner of a large shopping center, with only a rather small sign on Madonna Road indicating where it is.

Check-in was quick and efficient, the front desk staff friendly. The room was rather dark with a toilet/sink/tub & shower in a separate room and a larger sink/counter area between the living area and bedroom.. My room had a balcony overlooking the side parking lot. The very large bathroom door opened outwards so that a person could not be standing at the outside sink when you opened the door. While the bed was comfortable, the furnishings in the room need updating and wi-fi signal on my iPad was very week in the bedroom. One of the two elevators was out of service the first night of my stay. Breakfast was a typical ES affair, although my one sister got the incorrect omelette the first morning. But the potatoes and watermelon were delicious. Coffee was disappointing, a Maxwell House product, instead of Starbucks or a higher quality variety (although there was a Peet's Coffee stand in the lobby, too, of course, for purchase).

Breakfast on the second morning was absolutely overrun with unruly children running amuck with little parental supervision. I also stood in line for at least 15 minutes to get a cappuccino from the Peet's Coffee stand adjacent to the breakfast area. When there was no more Splenda left at Peet's, they directed me to the regular coffee station in the buffet area, but there was none there either. When I asked a staff member (a busboy?), he said that he didn't think they carried Splenda. I told him that I had it the day before and that there is some in the room. Another staff member looked in the kitchen but was unable to find any.

This was a perfectly adequate and decent Embassy Suites property, but I expected a higher level of overall quality for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside balcony, rather than one opening to the atrium.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear pjsparma;

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent visit. Sounds like you had an overall good stay with just a few bumps in the road. I apologize for one of the service elevators being temporarily out; we act promptly, sometimes, however, it's just a matter of waiting for the elevator service company to respond. Regarding our coffee, we do meet brand standards and most guests enjoy it; I do understand and appreciate your feedback here, however. During the summer season we do have many families that stay with us who come to enjoy all that the central coast has to offer. At times it does get busy at comp breakfast and we do our absolute best to create an enjoyable experience for all guests.

Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments to heart. We hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to SLO and give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your loyalty to the Hilton Brand. All the best!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed only one night as we had driven in from Vegas and were on our way to San Francisco.Since we had missed the free cocktail hour the staff were kind enough to give us drink vouchers for the Bar. The rooms were amazing and very comfortable for a family of 4. The breakast was made to order eggs with multiple options...too many choices.

Room Tip: Very pretty area stay longer.Visit Hearst Castle nearby

Dear Pavlina B;

Thank you for your recent visit to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo and for sharing your positive feedback regarding our hotel. I was pleased to see that our staff took great care of you both at our comp evening reception and at our comp breakfast. And you are correct, there are many choices on our cook to order line that can make the selection process difficult. I was also happy to see that your family of 4 found our guest room suites very comfortable.

Again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit to SLO. All the best.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

It is one of the best in value in every category. Never experienced any issue in any of our stays. Rooms are extremely clean. Evening reception with unlimited drinks (alcoholic & non) with finger foods. Well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Vasudev N;

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. You echo many guests' comments regarding the exceptional value the Embassy Suites brand offers. I am so glad that you enjoyed our evening comp reception. We look forward to your next visit. All the best!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Clean hotel with decent breakfast bar with made to order omelettes. Very friendly staff from check-in to housekeeping and anyone we passed in the hallways. Perfect vicinity for Cal Poly and downtown visits. Will definitely stay again.

Dear Trip Advisor Member;

Thank you for your recent visit and for your positive feedback. I was very happy to see that you found our hotel clean and our complimentary breakfast with cook to order omelets a great value. We often hear feedback regarding our very friendly staff; I am pleased that you found this to be the case throughout the hotel. And yes, if you are visiting Cal Poly we are in a great location.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again on your next visit to SLO.

All the best.