“Good location, nice breakfast”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The Embassy suites was a great choice for a short trip to a family event, convenient to most parts of town and we definitely took advantage of some of the shopping in the mall. included breakfast with made-to-order omelettes was a nice touch and we would have enjoyed trying the evening reception if we hadn't had evening plans. Room was large, good value. We ate lunch one day which wasn't that great - good salads but mains uninspiring. Small pool would have benefited from a change room and service at the desk was a little slow.

Room Tip: avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Rachel Z;

I am very happy that you found your experience at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo an overall great choice and value. Many guests enjoy our location, nearby shopping and our complimentary cook to order breakfast that you mentioned. Thank you for your feedback regarding your lunch experience. I am excited to announce that within the next two weeks we will be offering a complete new line up of food options for both lunch and dinner by our Executive Chef, Kirk Sowell. Hopefully you will be able to experience our new menu during your next visit to SLO.

Thank you again for your feedback and I wish you all the best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Great place for families. Bedroom 2 queen beds. Large living room area with sofa bed. Walking distance to shopping. About 7/8 of a mile to Madonna Inn, sightseeing attraction. Really enjoyed the daily breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Noelani B;

I'm so glad that you found our hotel "great for families." Many guest do find our spacious two bedroom suites very comfortable for family travel. Also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary cook to order breakfast. I wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit to Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo.

All the best,

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Decent stay. The breakfast was the same every day, but complimentary. The evening reception was nice and they switched up the fare a bit. The hotel staff were excellent. My only real gripe with this place was the internet. I would've paid for wired or faster/reliable internet as this was a business trip, but that wasn't an option. The connection was non-existent in all but the very front part of my suite, which made work difficult at times. Other than that, I'd stay there again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Bandit2Actual;

Thank you for your recent stay at Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo. I'm glad that you found our staff excellent, that you took advantage of our complimentary breakfast and that you enjoyed our evening reception as well. I will look into the internet challenges you experienced, and thank you for letting us know.

I wish you a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel met our needs for this trip. It is a good location but is a little hard to find because it sits in the rear of a shopping center. The staff at the front desk were helpful and very friendly. I had reserved a handicapped room and they did have one ready for us. The bathroom did not have a shower that was easy for someone with a disability to use. We had three adults in our party. My husband and my mother and myself. May mother took the hide a bed and we took the queen bed. Our bed was comfortable but my mother said the hide a bed was not. The room was clean but some of the furniture looked at bit tired and old and needed replacing.
The center court yard was very nice and well decorated for the holidays. We went to the free happy hour and they had a few snacks and we had wine. It was very nice. The morning breakfast was outstanding with a cook to order breakfast. Over all the stay was fine but at $180 this was not a cheap stay.

Dear mombmw1;

Thank you for your recent stay. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and I appreciate that you took the time to give us feedback about your overall stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, that you found our location desirable and that you enjoyed your interactions with our front desk team. I will definitely look into the hide a bed issue you experienced. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We LOVE to stay at the Embassy suites! We have traveled to many states and enjoy the suite setup at each location. This was the first time we have stayed in SLO and unfortunately it was not as overall satisfying as others. First the good things: the staff, all of them, from the front desk, to the bartender at the manager reception, to the cook at the made to order breakfast, to the housekeepers, everyone was wonderful! The room was cozy, but was a little worn, just like the hotel overall, cozy, but in need of some cosmetic updates. Our biggest complaint was how dark everything was. The brightest light in our suite was the bathroom! The windows were so small that no natural light would come in. The atrium is beautiful when the sun is out, but at night there is barely any lighting in the atrium. Some how this place needs to be brightened up at night! A bonus too is that the farmers market is in the parking lot on the weekends!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sally G
GMrgEmbassy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Sally G;

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our staff, they work very hard to ensure that our guests receive the best in hospitality. And thank you for your feedback regarding lighting. As we work our way towards a renovation this will definitely be an area of focus.

We look forward to your next visit. All the best!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was one of the worst experiences I've had at a Hilton property and I will never be back to this location. I mistakenly made a reservation that was one day longer than I was able to stay. I didn't realize it until the day before I wanted to check out, so I approached the front desk and spoke with someone who identified himself as the manager. I told him I would like to check out a day early and he told me that was fine, but that they would charge me a $75 early departure fee. I've checked out early at many other hotels before without a fee, but the manager would not budge. When I showed him that his own website listed the early departure fee as 0% (http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/embassy-suites-san-luis-obispo-SLOCAES/about/policies.html), he told me that 0% "is not a dollar amount, so we can charge whatever we need to." Obviously 0% of literally any amount is $0, but he was not able to understand that logic. He then told me that the checkin document I signed was a legal contract between the hotel and myself, and that the early departure fee was a sort of breach-of-contract penalty. However, since their own website stated differently and there was no mention of the change in percentage at checkin, the "contract" he mentioned was a joke and not enforceable. Furthermore, I gave them more than 24 hours notice compared to when their typical cancellation time is, so if this had been a separate reservation just for the day, there wouldn't be a problem. I am very upset with this location, but the Hilton corporate customer service was able to make things right for me. This location must be a franchise, because they do not represent the brand well.

The hotel is old, run down, and dark in the lobby since there are only skylights. However, it is clean and the breakfast and housekeeping staff do a wonderful job. The internet left something to be desired, as the signal was very weak in my room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank biztraveler1990

Dear biztraveler;

First, my sincere apologies for how this situation was handled. We take great pride in guest satisfaction and customer service; we clearly fell short of delivering our promise of complete guest satisfaction. I was happy to see that Hilton customer service made it right and waived the $75 dollar early departure fee regarding your reservation. Per your feedback we are reviewing all on line communication to ensure that everything is correct and up to date.

Again, my sincere apologies for what you experienced. I do hope that you give us another opportunity to make it right with a future stay.

Warm Regards,

Kevin Phipps

Reviewed 9 December 2013

A month before our arrival I requested extra towels and a crib. A week before I reminded the staff that I needed these things and then the day of our reservation I called again and reminded the staff I had already requested these items. I checked-in with a tired toddler only to discover they had given our reserved crib away and we had no extra towels in our room.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank Virginia M

Dear Virginia M;

Thank you for providing us feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations regarding the delivery of towels and a crib. Rest assured, guest feedback is incredibly important to us and I will personally follow up regarding the issues you experienced to ensure it does not happen again.

I hope you will give us another try so we may demonstrate our commitment to complete guest satisfaction.

I wish you all the best.