“Great Service!!!”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I needed an affordable place to stay for Thanksgiving evening and chose this hotel. It is an older hotel, but in the lobby, there is the plans for the up-coming renovations and they look fantastic. Service was so great! Very friendly and accommodating staff. I had changed my reservation room type at the last minute with no problems or added fees. The housekeeping staff was eager to help in any way they could with out reservation. I thought I had left my phone charger in the room and when I called the front desk staff personally went to the room to look for it. I found it in my purse, but he never made me feel like I had burdened him. The diner next door was great too (and the hotel guest get a decent discount!) I would absolutely recommend this Inn to my friends and stay here again with out a second thought!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJAC66

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed here while visiting relatives for thanksgiving. The rooms were not very big, but they were not postage stamp size.The rooms were clean enough did find some trash under bed. Mentioned it to management and he said he would tell house keeping. I would book through motels own web site price were better and more room choices. They have 2 wings one which is upgraded which we stayed in nicer beds, linens, more furniture coffee maker and maybe bigger tv. The other rooms were same size but looked very basic. 20$ more for upgraded rooms at time I booked. Hotel has 2 floors and all rooms appeared to have balcony or patio. The grounds were nicely kept lots of plants nice feel. The pool area was very nice larger the average pool and large hot tub with water fall and colored lights at nice very cool. Jets and temp of spa were nice not too hot and you could find a jet with nice pressure. Had down stairs room and the noise from upstairs was loud could not here rooms on the sides. The front desk guy (Jared I think) when we checked was very efficient and helpful. Small lobby had coffee and fruit available. The hotel is right off freeway and has diner on grounds. You can get small voucher at front desk for small discount at restaurant which served a very good breakfast. Have stayed in other hotels in this area over the years and will book this one again.

Room Tip: Book rooms through hotels web site and upgraded are nicer.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for a night to go to wedding. It was clean, just off the freeway, not too busy but not isolated. There was a diner next door and the freeway access there to hit Paso, Pismo, or whatever. Rooms weren't lavish but nice and cozy and clean. Water was hot, beds comfy. I'd visit again...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed on a Thursday night, which was perfect since it coincided with the city's farmer market. Not only was room satisfactory, but the hotel provided a free dinner for the entire family. After considering the value of the dinner, the room was practically free.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Worst part of stay was waking up after one hour itching with bug bites on my arms. I had to apply an alchohol based hand sanitizer to stop the itch and get back to sleep. In the morning I had 8 large red welts on my right upper arm and 2 on my left. I mentioned the problem to the desk clerk in the morning and she seemed to make a note of it. For several days I have had to use Benadryl cream on the welts. Now 6 days later the itching has stopped but the redness is still there.
Two days after my stay there I got an routine email from the inn manager thanking me for staying there and asking for feed back. I sent a nice letter of my experience (and of other short coming as listed below). Now four days after my return email the manager has yet to reply. Great service. He apparently doesn't give a rip about customer satisfaction or his bug infestation.
In addition to the biting insects the "free" wifi was down (even though I was given the password at check-in), there wasn't any coffee or coffee maker in room nor any clock radio, instruction card on phone or inn book, Don't be fooled by the web pictures. My room looked nothing like them. The furniture was beat up, the one chair was stained rust on the curtain rod and bad spots on the mirror.
I paid $90 for this dump. Go across the street to Motel 6 and get a refurbished room for less.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill H
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our recent road trip. Out of 11 different hotel/ motels this was the only one we regretted.

They have clearly spent a lot of money in the pool and hot tub which was amazing we spent ages in the hot tub it was bliss but the rest of the hotel just felt grubby and dated. We were meant to be in a newly refurbished room, if we were, then I'd hate to see what the other rooms where like. The bed spreads smelt dank we took them off and put them in the wardrobe the armchair felt filthy and stepping out onto the patio door balcony felt unsafe ! The information about the place invites you to borrow a DVD from their collection to watch in the room so we thought we would get a pizza delivered and watch a film, the numbers for pizza places that deliver on the info card in our room were wrong numbers and when we asked the guy at the front desk he said it was too late (9pm) for the local places and we should look up something on the Internet ! Thanks ! Very helpful ! When we asked him about the DVDs, opening a small cupboard behind the desk that we couldn't see into, he asked which one we wanted .....? How were we supposed to know what they had ??After asking him if we could take a look he made a big effort to bring them all over in stacks so we could go through them ...... Needless to say they were all crap but we had lost interest by then.

$5 off at margies dinner for breakfast really wasn't enough entice us to eat there, we walked in and walked straight back out and got breakfast on our way through town instead. It was a shame because the grounds are nice and the pool and hot tub is great but the rest of it makes me unable to recomend a stay.

We wished we had stayed in Morro Bay as we had originally planned.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Overall this is a good hotel if you're going to spend a few days around San Luis Obispo. It is a little beyond the basic mom-and-dad motel, specifically as it has a very good pool and hot tub. Also reception is very attentive and quick to respond.

The downsides we found to it:
- No breakfast, and the diner next door is EXPENSIVE
- Not enough towels! We were 5 people in the room, every day just 3 fresh towels... But this was quickly sorted by reception. Every day ;-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family