“Kitsch”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Very unique. Fair value. We stay in the Starlight room. Have never before stayed in a motel where all the rooms are uniquely decorated. Neighbor noise is a bit of a problem, so bring your traveling white noise machine. Clean. They provided a complimentary bottle of champagne for us as we celebrated our anniversary on our road trip up Hwy 1.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Madonna Inn is almost a destination in and off itself - each room is decorated according to a different theme, and the whole place is an over-the-top extravaganza. I've rarely encountered such a friendly staff - the spa director was dining with family in the restaurant and kept jumping up to introduce herself to folks at other tables. My room was simply enormous - I booked what I thought was a two double bed room, but it turned out to be practically a suite. The bathroom was huge and well laid out, the bed was very comfortable, and despite being located on the ground floor near the vending machines, the room was quiet. The inn has a steakhouse-type restaurant, a more casual cafe, a variety of small shops, a huge bar, live entertainment - honestly, it was great!

Room Tip: The Oak Leaves room has a king bed, a queen in a separate room and an enormous bath - it could easil...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Recommended by a friend. Found the Lucky Rocky room a bit drab and the wine tasting in the gift shop pre dinner was awful. We had been drinking great red and whites all thru USA and these were filthy wines for $22. Margaritas equally awful, I had to pinch my nose to get it down and the ribs were something I would like to forget. We kind of enjoyed the novelty and trashiness but were so keen to leave at 930 the next day.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Brock2015
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My father was part of the construction crew in the 1960s, so I had seen it as a child. But my husband and I have been there many many times and had a different room each time, so much fun, we been there for many of our anniversaries in 36 years. It has been updated and the names have changed on the rooms so we are trying new ones now. The food is excellent there is not other word for it and the service is top notch. Plus there is lots to do around the area, San Luis Obispo, winemakers, Morro Bay is near by Shell beach is just around the cornor on Hwy 101 south to Pismo Beach too. It is very quiet place to spend time with your special someone and make sure you have breakfast Um so good and the fresh squeezed OJ, pink sugar too. Pick up something from the Bakery and take a drive North or South to lots of beaches and other sites to visit, the memories are well worth the cost of at least staying one night in such comfort and beauty. Once you try it you will return as often as you can, make it your once a year treat to yourselves. And it is a must see website so you can pick your on special theme room. At www.madonnainn.com which does a better job of giving you the info you need than I do. Have a great time, we always do.

Room Tip: So many , we like the waterfall showers and the plush of the Anniversary room. The caveman was fun b...
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I love love love the kitschy and unusual, so this hotel was made for me. Some of the rooms are a lot smaller than they appear, so you might want to inquire with a booking agent before reserving, say, the caveman room for your family of 4.

One thing I really don't like is that you can't reserve a specific room online. You can request a specific room, but that doesn't guarantee you'll get the one you want. I'm sorry, but if I'm shelling out $300+ expecting to stay in a waterfall suite-I want my waterfall suite! Perhaps after Madonna Inn realizes that this business model isn't working, it'll change its reservation policy.

This aside, Madonna Inn is a fun place to stay. Be sure to explore all parts of the grounds, the bathrooms, etc. Very fun! The pool area is pretty neat too. I have a tradition of having breakfast/bunch at the Madonna Inn cafe every time I'm in SLO. I don't know what they put in their potato salad but I'm hooked on it!

Oh and if you really want to make someone's birthday or day special, buy them a Madonna Inn cake! Their cakes are pretty delicious-but your guests will really be impressed with the presentation because these things are just begging to be used at your next celebration.

If you just need a place to crash, this isn't for you. If you're trying to tap into the quirky coastal style of California, book your room now.

Side note: when visiting downtown SLO take a stroll to "bubblegum alley", its urban kitschy-ness goes well with the feel of the Madonna Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank BuddhaInHeels
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Madonna Inn is great! Very fun, very kitschy hotel. We stayed in the Romance room which was the only available room at the time. It's huge: large bed, big bathrooms with a separate seating area. I wish I could have stayed in one of the more ridiculous rooms (isn't that why you stay at the Madonna?) like the caveman but there's a loooong wait for that room. Pool is awesome - heated perfectly and there are 2 jacuzzis. The few cons are: bed is very uncomfortable, squeaked every time you moved, pillows are so big, it felt like my chin was resting on my chest - I ended up using a towel for a pillow instead. Restaurant is delicious but HUGE portions and very expensive - so I recommend eating in the cafe. We ate at the cafe for breakfast the next day and it was delicious - corned beef hash and omelet. Again, huuuuge portions - could easily share.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I recently stayed at the Madonna Inn for one night as part of a road trip between SF & LA. We specifically stopped at SLO to stay at the Madonna Inn and we weren't disappointed. It was fantastic and definitely great fun. The only downside was that the restaurant and the cafe were a little expensive - but again great fun and certainly an experience. The Madonna Inn is fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2011