“Overrated for the price”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Very spendy for an OK room. We were in the Yosemite Rock Room, which even in the low season was almost $300/night. The bed was OK and the rock decor was interesting but cheesy. The fireplace made noise to where we had to leave it off. The worst part was that the wind blew in the door (crooked/huge gap on the bottom and top left) so loudly that it kept us up. My husband cracked the window in the bathroom which seemed to fix it. The hotel had put slats in the bathroom door; so it seemed like they knew about this but couldn't fix it properly. For such a high rate I would expect a quiet room.

Room Tip: Try and find one without cracks in the door; may be tough to do though.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nikki545

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed in the Paris Violets room. It was definitely different than any place we had stayed before, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. Upon arriving the staff greeted us and checked us in. The whole experience was rather delightful, and if we are ever in the area again we would probably stay here for a night. I would definitely pick a different room to see what it would be like. My wife and kids enjoyed it very much. The pool, which has a gently sloping entrance, was like walking into warm bath water. It was very relaxing. That evening we ate at the Gold Rush Steakhouse, which was unique in itself.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I think if you are vacationing in the area and have never stayed here, you should for one night. We stayed in "Lucky Rock" with its fabulous couch, rock walls and shower, and zebra carpet. It was cool, but if I was staying in the area longer than one night I would go somewhere cheaper. The rooms are cool, but a little pricey for me. It was very clean and the bed was average or better. The hotel is convenient to the highway as well as Downtown San Luis Obispo.

Room Tip: Look at all of the rooms on the website and request the one you want when booking. They will give i...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan7667
Reviewed 15 January 2012

It's a bit like a theme park in your room.

This is by far the uniquest hotel we have ever stayed in. The location is picturesque, set in wonderful California countryside. As a hotel it consists of a series of two or three storey blocks located throughout the grounds. Each block is uniquly designed, ours was a bit of a cross between a Mississippi steamer and Bilbo Bagins hobiton. Taking this even further, each room is uniquely decorated. Ours was like Marie Antoinettes bedroom, heavy deep red flock wall paper, circular walls, gold wallpaper in the bathroom - and an electronic toilet that washed your bum!

What more can you ask for?

The restaurant and bars are located in the reception building. It is clearly popular with the locals and very well used. Downside was that there was about an hours wait for any meal, particularly breakfast, which we gave up on. We drank at the bar on the evening we stayed, they only served wine and bottled beers, which was a downside for a beer drinker, but the interior design - which I won't even try and describe, made up for this. We ate in the restaurant, the food was good, but it was just a little too busy which made it impersonal.

If you visit you must try the fruit pies they make, they alone are worth the visit.

We only stayed the one night and it was more of an experience than anything else, and whilst we throughly enjoyed it, we couldn't help but think it would drive us crazy if we stayed longer. Maybe two nights is all anyone could take.

Overall view, spend a night there for the experience

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Madonna inn on our way to Monterrey. This is a MUST STOP place. I particularly like coming around these places in the winter because it is still not that cold and you get great value for your money. We stayed at the Yosemite Falls room and it was incredible. The whole room had real boulders as walls and a rock shower. The room was clean, smelled great and the bed was super comfortable. Room wasn't cold as I expected it to be. Watch out for special Internet rates on their website. We booked out room for only $179/night. It was a great deal for staying in a California landmark hotel. Since it was winter and a weekday my girlfriend and I had the heated pool and jacuzzi for ourselves the whole afternoon. If you want to avoid the crowds make sure you go in winter! Hotel aside the restaurant an cafe had delicious food at a reasonable price. I can't recommend to stay here more. It's a pretty penny bit it is worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Large and very kitschy. The rooms are perfectly clean and nice but decor feels out of the '50s (I think in fact it is). Heat didn't work at first, but the staff was responsive. Internet also didn't work (tried wired and wifi) - I'm sure staff would have responded but wasn't worth the trouble as I had a wireless modem. I was in the area on business and I don't think I would stay here again, but certainly an amusing experience you might enjoy with kids. Staff was very welcoming and responsive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed in the España room (#194) in mid December 2011 at the start of our Christmas Vacation road trip. It was a Friday night, and we paid $239 + tax for the experience. Being a family, we had to take a room with 2 beds, so most of the signature rooms with rock waterfall showers and such were off limits (only one bed, no rollaways).

Plus: The decor and novelty of the rooms are really a sight to see, at least once. They have gone all out making each room unique, and unique is a real understatement. Paintings of Spanish bullfighters on the wall, statues of bulls, walls painted to look like decaying brickwork, and heavy wooden furniture. The Spanish tile in the bathroom was beautiful; the heated Japanese toilet was a nice, un-Spanish touch. And, the room was HUGE - 2 queen size beds, in separate rooms. Much more of a suite-like feeling. Plenty of room to spead out.

The pool/spa area was delightful. Even in December, the outdoor pool was delightfully warm, and the spa was even warmer. This made up for the lack of a bathtub in the room itself. Very romantic, if you want it to be. It felt great after a long drive.

Minus: The beds were just not very comfortable, and we slept badly. The floor was all tile, not carpeting, and was outright cold to walk on - I wore socks the whole time. There was no bathtub in the room (but a short hike up to the pool made up for that).

So, $239+ for a large room with an uncomfortable bed and a great swimming pool experience. Depends on what you're after, I suppose, but worth doing for the novelty at least once. A lot will depend on how well you like the room decor. My wife thought it was great. Me, not so much.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family